• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot attack

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
When do you guys use the pivot as a an actual attack? I only ever get hits with it when I'm not trying to. Also what are moves that you follow the pivot attack up with? I know sometimes usmash works and for a small range of percent another pivot works, but I know there's others, probably dsmash

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
FYI the pivot you're referring to is more typically called a shellshift - that's what I'll be using here.

Shellshifting can function as a faux type of "jab reset" when the opponent misses their tech, but it also moves them in a direction. You're correct in that yes, dsmash will pretty much always connect, which can then lead into a dsmash techchase, or if they have high percent, a fair.

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
Lol I don't think I'll ever remember the names. I didn't think fair would work though. Does ss > JC grab work? I cant seem to get the boost when I land a hit on the ss

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
Also wtf happens at 6:35 http://youtu.be/XuO1VtSnRr8? I think its turnaround > wavedash > dsmash but the only move I can get to slide that far would be a JC turnaround usmash. Dad does a similar thing about 5-10 seconds earlier in the vid with an ftilt instead of the dsmash. Tbh I'm more intrigued by this than the original question.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Also wtf happens at 6:35 http://youtu.be/XuO1VtSnRr8? I think its turnaround > wavedash > dsmash but the only move I can get to slide that far would be a JC turnaround usmash. Dad does a similar thing about 5-10 seconds earlier in the vid with an ftilt instead of the dsmash. Tbh I'm more intrigued by this than the original question.
it was either a hydropivot or a hydrocrawl
please watch this video, it answers everything (even life)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTleUo52zOE

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Use your shellshift+wavedash movement to get the spacing for a shellshift attack to hit, then when you land a shellshift hitbox on them (frames 9-12 of shellshift), you cancel shellshift with jump, then cancel jump with grab. If you land shellshift on an opponent grab is guaranteed out of it if you can cancel immediately. If you can land shellshift on shield it also is guaranteed into grab, though you have to be crossing them up with shellshift on shield to be in the right position for the grab to land after the hitbox connects.

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
For clarity, above I was saying that downsmash can lead into a fair, or a downsmash techchase, not that shellshift connects into fair.

Top Bottom