• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please explain to me something about F-air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Why the hell do all of you guys shoot a missle(lock on or super) and then short hop fair? Why the **** do you guys f-tilt a shield and then short hop fair? Why zair some one and then short hope fair?

I see this obsession with fair from nearly every samus main........why!?!?!?!?!? Fair really isnt that good if u just throw it out there.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Not sure where this came from. Apparently a lot of videos have come up recently showcasing these faults in us?

I may take a look at some of my old videos, it may show your observation correct. However, missle -> fair doesnt sound terrible. Creates a wall, yes? Sounds like pretty much the only way a person may be able to approach with fair, seeing as how it is only a platform, getup, or retreating move.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Missile to sh fair creates a wall as RaigothDagon said. It's lagless and fast, and the opponent can't do much about it if it's done in a correct way.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
The first option is better than following up with z-air.

The second option you shouldn't be doing.

The third option you should either be punishing landing lag with a different move or creating distance after z-air.

It's also highly MU dependent whether or not you should be using f-air.

What spurred these questions on?

I don't use fair except for ledge approaches, simple as.

Fair is overrated and if you're using it, you should feel pretty bad.

Xyro77

The first option is better than following up with z-air.

The second option you shouldn't be doing.

The third option you should either be punishing landing lag with a different move or creating distance after z-air.

It's also highly MU dependent whether or not you should be using f-air.

What spurred these questions on?
Im asking these questions because SO MANY samus players do it and they dont realize how much trouble it puts them in.

I don't use fair except for ledge approaches, simple as.

Fair is overrated and if you're using it, you should feel pretty bad.

I tend to think this way about it too.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
I personally don't use fair except for when killerjawz said, just to approach from the ledge. But now that you bring fair to my attention, wouldn't zair to fair or even supermissile to fair be a decent shield poker? I'm not sure and I don't feel like testing it but if i'm right then at least some good came out of those two combos when they used them.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Unless the character is big, on a platform, or extending their hurtbox upward, then the first hit of fair will go over their head when you try leading those into it. That is valuable time that the opponent can use to counterattack you.

I found the zair -> fair example fairly quickly, Noid did it in a match. However, it was his opening attacks on battlefield, so it worked for him. However, I get the feeling Xyro means we have a habit of doing this against opponents on the same level of ground as us.

Edit: I take that back, you can hit small characters with the first hit of fair, you just have to time it right. The opponent should take that time to counterattack still.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Sometimes I use fair after dash attack or anything that puts them in the air in front of me, but usually I don't use it unless I'm coming back to/from the ledge either.

I was actually starting to wonder if I should be doing it more based on videos, it's interesting that there are split opinions on it.

Xyro77

Sometimes I use fair after dash attack or anything that puts them in the air in front of me, but usually I don't use it unless I'm coming back to/from the ledge either.

I was actually starting to wonder if I should be doing it more based on videos, it's interesting that there are split opinions on it.
I bring it up because i feel its a MAJOR weakness alot of samus players are showing. NEVER throw out fair unless its from the ledge or if the foe is on a plaform. Now of course if know a fair will hit in another situation then plz do it but in general dont. SO MANY CHARACTERS can beat fair its not even funny.

PLEASE dont use fair the way you guys are currently.

PS: kj, you can lock this now

Oh power of the earth, I call upon thee to ensnare the opponent in a binding crush!

LOCK ATTACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom