• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Stop "Banning" Stages

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Members have a strong tendency to discuss whether a stage should be banned from tournaments, but they forget one extremely important detail: Super Smash Bros. Brawl has not been released yet! How do you pass judgment on a stage in a game you have never played before?

The first big problem is that many of you do not even know why certain stages were banned in Melee. No bans will take place until these stages are observed in a tournament setting. That is the other aspect that confuses me: many of the members who suggest a stage "should" be banned are not even tournament directors!

Another huge factor is that many of these stages may not be in their final version yet. Changes may have already been applied to some of the stages but are not reflected in the current screenshots or videos we have now. Let the game run its course, and we will discover for ourselves why certain stages should or should not be banned from competitive play.

It is not my intention to remove the fun from speculating about stages in Brawl. It is OK to point out how particular stages may not be fun or possibly give certain characters an unhealthy advantage. However, making ignorant comments suggesting that a stage "will probably be banned" is ridiculous, and it needs to stop.

Florida

イーグランツ
Members have a strong tendency to discuss whether a stage should be banned from tournaments, but they forget one extremely important detail: Super Smash Bros. Brawl has not been released yet! How do you pass judgment on a stage in a game you have never played before?

The first big problem is that many of you do not even know why certain stages were banned in Melee. No bans will take place until these stages are observed in a tournament setting. That is the other aspect that confuses me: many of the members who suggest a stage "should" be banned are not even tournament directors!

Another huge factor is that many of these stages may not be in their final version yet. Changes may have already been applied to some of the stages but are not reflected in the current screenshots or videos we have now. Let the game run its course, and we will discover for ourselves why certain stages should or should not be banned from competitive play.

It is not my intention to remove the fun from speculating about stages in Brawl. It is OK to point out how particular stages may not be fun or possibly give certain characters an unhealthy advantage. However, making ignorant comments suggesting that a stage "will probably be banned" is ridiculous, and it needs to stop.
I personally don't see the problem with all of this. It's good fun to try and predict banishment for stages in Brawl, and see if your theories turn out to be correct or not in the end. What people think, is exactly that, what they think. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows they won't be 100% right in their predictions, but discussion such as level banishment can bring up some fun and good debate.

But you do have a sense in what you're saying, it's quite annoying to see numerous posts such as, "Eldin Bridge should be banned because I don't like it". Just pure taste in levels is what that's based off of, and that's not really fitting. I found the thread "Predictions and Discussion of Stage Legality in Tournaments" to be interesting, mainly because the majority of posts there were intelligent and well thought-out (the thread should be moved here by the way).

So ugh, yes and no, to what you're saying.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, my biggest problem is that people are trying to generate rule sets for "the first Brawl tournament". They are actually going to ban stages on its first tournament!

Florida

イーグランツ
Well, my biggest problem is that people are trying to generate rule sets for "the first Brawl tournament". They are actually going to ban stages on its first tournament!
Now I can agree, that's just stupid.
I bet the tournament will be held 1-7 days after Brawl's release? Too many people assume that Brawl will be the second version of Melee; we can already tell, by the updates on the DOJO, that Brawl will differ from Melee in many ways.

"Eldin Bridge out, waveshine vulnerability."
That's a good example of what I'm saying, we don't even know if the waveshine will be carried from Melee to Brawl! People assume too much, too early.

Banks

Smash Hero
also, some tournaments have different rules, like the banning of onett, corneria etc. there is no way to predict what stages will be banned, and if they will be banned by everyone or just some

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
IMO brawls first tourneys should be like melee's first tourneys

all stages on, items on, etc. if these things are found to be broken again (and some of them will) then they can be turned off. but if they found a way to make items less dumb (no more random exploding capsules, etc) than I'm all for keeping them in.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The tournament directors who determine the official rule set are going to be the ones who slowly ban stuff over time, not the ones who slowly unban stuff over time. Anyone who claims banning something is good will be asked, "Have you ever tried hosting a tournament with that particular item/stage/technique unbanned?" When the truth comes out, that director's opinion on rule sets will suddenly matter less.

Top Bottom