• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

PM Bowser's Broken - A Guide to, well, PM Bowser!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
HydreigonMuppetMaster submitted a new guide:

PM Bowser's Broken - A Guide to, well, PM Bowser! - These noobs think Bowser's not that good. That's hilarious!

You see, Bowser's had it rough in the previous iteration's of smash. Bowser's a really difficult character to use in Melee and is usually a bold decision, only being used by only 2 people I know, those being DJNintendo and Gimpyfish. Then Brawl came along and, what the hell happened? Like good god Bowser went from usable to barely useable or one of the worst characters in the game.

But then Project M happened. It gave Bowser something magical to laugh menancingly at and to finally defeat Mario...
Read more about this guide...

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Bowser isn't broken. lol

That being said, a lot of what you listed is basic stuff that most of us already know. I agree that Bowser needs an actual guide, eventually. But 3.5 will be coming with some changes soon, so it'd probably be best to wait for that.

As far as constructive criticism goes...

You mentioned a lot of basic uses for his moves but didn't go into any of their secondary utilities other than Up-Smash's Meteor effect. And that's not even all you can use Up-Smash for.

I'll explain more after I get done with some work. >_>

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
HydreigonMuppetMaster updated PM Bowser's Broken - A Guide to, well, PM Bowser! with a new update entry:

Update: Forgotten Tips & How this guide went. - 10/16/14

For a first guide, I knew it wasn't perfect, not telling much about Bowser's moves and what options he can do with them. Not to mention technical frame facts could have been provided, and other flaws like that. I'll keep that under consideration for the next guide to come (I'll try something with Smash 4 most commonly). I think I did somewhat of a decent job on the guide, considering my reviews so far approved, but pointed out missed facts and ideas that could've been used. I'd like to say...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
That's a bit better. Going back to Up-smash. It's secondary hitbox can be used on grounded characters like Down-B's quake box. It'll pop them up and set up a tech-chase scenario. Up-Smash is better for this than Down-B, due to the faster recovery time. You can run up and charge an Usmash to bate a spot dodge, hit them with the second hit, and follow up from there.

Also down-b is a great edgeguarding tool. You can down-b to the ledge from the stage or the air, and punish/kill anyone that doesn't sweet-spot the ledge. It takes timing and practice, but it's extremely reliable when you know how/when to use it.

Fortress Hogging is extremely easy when you're facing the ledge when you attempt it. Fortress Hogging while facing away is a little harder and requires more practice, but it's still possible. Fortress Hogging is essential not only for edgeguard attempts, but also being able to make your Up-B safe on shield and harder to punish. This is demonstrated in the third game of this set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h_GJ7NHEA70#t=324

(Also if you rewind to game 2, you can see some Randall-Ledge-Cancelled down-b action. Woot.)

Also, I think you forgot to mention flame-canceling when talking about Bowser's neutral-b. Which is done by using it just before you land from the air so that you cancel its start up animation and make it come out instantly. This with empty hops/wave lands can be a nice mix-up.

Also things like other OOS options other than Up-B for defensive mix-ups. Short-hop Nair or Fair Out of Shield is graaaaaavy if someone's trying to pester you.

Speaking of gravy, Bowser's Forward Smash can ledge cancel if you hit someone that's shielding between you and the ledge. You'll hit their shield and slide off the ledge and be able to follow up immediately from the air. Even if you can't follow up, you'll at least be safe from retaliation.

Also Bair is slightly disjointed in like the lower bit and is a "sex-kick" so the hit box stays out for a nice while. Good for edgeguarding, yo.

That's everything that comes to mind at the moment. I still think it's too early to make a Bowser guide though, with the update coming soon. @.@ But who knows...maybe I'll help finish this anyway...with more exact tips.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
That's a bit better. Going back to Up-smash. It's secondary hitbox can be used on grounded characters like Down-B's quake box. It'll pop them up and set up a tech-chase scenario. Up-Smash is better for this than Down-B, due to the faster recovery time. You can run up and charge an Usmash to bate a spot dodge, hit them with the second hit, and follow up from there.

Also down-b is a great edgeguarding tool. You can down-b to the ledge from the stage or the air, and punish/kill anyone that doesn't sweet-spot the ledge. It takes timing and practice, but it's extremely reliable when you know how/when to use it.

Fortress Hogging is extremely easy when you're facing the ledge when you attempt it. Fortress Hogging while facing away is a little harder and requires more practice, but it's still possible. Fortress Hogging is essential not only for edgeguard attempts, but also being able to make your Up-B safe on shield and harder to punish. This is demonstrated in the third game of this set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h_GJ7NHEA70#t=324

(Also if you rewind to game 2, you can see some Randall-Ledge-Cancelled down-b action. Woot.)

Also, I think you forgot to mention flame-canceling when talking about Bowser's neutral-b. Which is done by using it just before you land from the air so that you cancel its start up animation and make it come out instantly. This with empty hops/wave lands can be a nice mix-up.

Also things like other OOS options other than Up-B for defensive mix-ups. Short-hop Nair or Fair Out of Shield is graaaaaavy if someone's trying to pester you.

Speaking of gravy, Bowser's Forward Smash can ledge cancel if you hit someone that's shielding between you and the ledge. You'll hit their shield and slide off the ledge and be able to follow up immediately from the air. Even if you can't follow up, you'll at least be safe from retaliation.

Also Bair is slightly disjointed in like the lower bit and is a "sex-kick" so the hit box stays out for a nice while. Good for edgeguarding, yo.

That's everything that comes to mind at the moment. I still think it's too early to make a Bowser guide though, with the update coming soon. @.@ But who knows...maybe I'll help finish this anyway...with more exact tips.
Yeah I've seen Mew2king down-b to the edge before in one of his livestreams. It seemed effective. Perhaps I should use it more often. Now that I'm thinking about it, Bowser does seem to have a lot of options when talking about the edge. Never thought of it that way.

Seriously, you can cancel the flame? The neutral b? I honestly did not know that at all, making his flames way more useful than I thought.

You're really helping with this guide Bones, and I would definitley like to thank you for that!

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
lol you are a n00b

No fortress hogging? I don't even main OR secondary Bowser but if I made a guide for him: first sentence would be fortress hogting.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
lol you are a n00b

No fortress hogging? I don't even main OR secondary Bowser but if I made a guide for him: first sentence would be fortress hogting.
Great input. Even though I already mentioned Fortress Hogging earlier to him.

This makes it look like you only posted so you could insult someone. It's literally a waste of space.

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Great guide Hydreigon! Im thinking about picking up bowser, but I do not really want to waste my time with a character that people think is one of the worst. You always beat me pretty badly with him though. Does CCing D-smash have any application with bowser?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Great guide Hydreigon! Im thinking about picking up bowser, but I do not really want to waste my time with a character that people think is one of the worst. You always beat me pretty badly with him though. Does CCing D-smash have any application with bowser?
I'll answer that question later. Right now at this moment I have to go somewhere.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
CCing most things have application since Bowser has Crouch Armor on top of the crouch canceling mechanic. D-tilt is the quickest for a poke in neutral, or you could D-Smash for a kill at certain percentages.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
To be more accurate, Mr. Bones, Bowser actually has crouching AND crawling armor. The former is already stronger than general CCing, and the latter is stronger than that by 30-ish points, I believe. Check it out in debug mode and you can see the differences between the two; the shade of teal gets denser when you crawl. Also, I think Jab1 is a better poke in neutral than Dtilt since its faster, has comparable reach, and has a better chance to lead into setups or shield pressure. Dtilt is safer though, i'll give you that.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think that cc-down smash is very effective, but crouch cancelling into shield gives you a free punish with a grab or up-b.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I don't really think that cc-down smash is very effective, but crouch cancelling into shield gives you a free punish with a grab or up-b.
I usually don't cc down smash. Whenever I crouch cancel I tend to do bowsers down tilt since it's nice and quick. I guess you could also do bowser's down-b for unpredictability :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom