• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about parrying methods and how to practice it

Pud'N

Smash Cadet
So I understand how a parry works in essence and how to use it, but I want to ask how good yoshi players go about capitalizing on a parry. Ive heard amsa just presses jump right away every time he shields, is this the most effective? Obviously youd also have to be good at powershielding, but thats a no brainer.

Second question is how do you go about practicing parrying with 20xx?

Icyo

Smash Ace
There's only two things you can do out of parry: jump or grab. Jumping is usually the better option because you can do so much more with it (DJC aerial, DJL dsmash, etc.)

Practicing parrying with 20XX is pretty easy. What I did to learn HOW to parry was to set a Fox to nair OoS. I'd hit him with dtilt while staying crouched then parry his nair. Once you've practiced this and have a bit of a feel on how to parry, you can make CPU's with parryable dairs do the dair -> grab -> uthrow -> uair that's intended for Fox. Set a save state to where you're on opposite sides and parry the dair.

Doxy

Smash Rookie
A lot of players parry everytime they jump as yoshi since it doesn't really hinder you in any way in the neutral game.

You could punish by double jump cancelling your parry and using a down smash but it takes some really tight timing. That being said if you wanted to practice and learn how you could just use training mode. Slow down the time to 1/3 or 1/4 just so you can understand the timing better.

Press down R or L (needs to be full shield so make sure you press down all the way)
- if you turn off music in settings you should hear yoshis shield engage.

Quickly press Y or X to cancel the shield. (If done Correctly you will not see any of yoshis egg shards).

This is where the timing gets tight. You need to double jump cancel. Yoshis second jump moves downwards for the first few frames after input. You want to input the second jump quickly enough to keep Yoshi on the ground.

After you touch the ground follow up with a down smash because it has the least start up lag.

Overall, it is more common to punish with a jump cancel to nair or bair. Or grab cancel the parry. Personally I find yoshis grabs to be lacking so I opt for jump cancelling, however each has its place.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have 20XX, here is some training I did: you can try parrying red shells (item) from behind, or event 50 against both Hands, some attacks can be parried, like then the fly behind the stage and charge to you, you can parry then n-air after that and hit them.

Top Bottom