• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
which state has the best average talent of smash players?

Oh, and the states should organize some all star teams, and have a state vs state tourny lol

viperboy_74

Smash Master
rofl... tried that one... it got some interest at first, but never really happened.

illinois used to be up there, but most of our players moved (Indiana, Boston, and Michigan)

honestly i think top 2 in MW are

1. Ohio
2. Indiana

Jazzness

Smash Ace
If we're saying 'average talent' I'd have to say Illinois, because the Chicago & Chicago suburbs' smash scene has been getting crazy amounts of exposure to a new level of playing.

If we pit our average locals against any other MW state average local, I guarantee Illinois wins it.

However, if we're saying which state has the most # of well-known competitive players, then it's a toss up between Indiana and Ohio. Indiana has all the old-school talent (The Ship of Fools) and Ohio has a lot of new talent that showed up about a year or two ago (COK).

Pong

Smash Cadet
No it would hands down go to Ohio, just to much talent in that state. After ohio it would go a close Mi. then Indi. or Illi. After that im not really sure

James Sparrow

Smash Master
what about minnesota... none of us can beat aaron, and aaron doesn't even go to the big tourneys...

idk how bad iowa is, but WI and MN have to rival iowa for that last place spot

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Ah, the days when IL was too good. Eddie, Trail, me... What happened to it? Oh yeah, college. >_> <_<

Sorry, Eddie. heh

Taking a break from the usual organic chem work to throw my two cents in on this. heh In terms of the "lower-level" players, i.e., average tourney-goers, I may have to put IL on top for overall ability; they currently have the likes of viperboy, Zec, Wuwu, Captain Awesome, Mendoza, Jazzness, and, of course, Ray Chung. In terms of the higher-ups, though, IN may take it now. Between Tink, myself, the Kishes, and Iggy, we have a pretty solid contingent of higher-level players, yet we lack a diverse set of "low-levels"; I can really only think of, like, Big C and AC to put into that category. heh OH stands pretty well in this regard as well with Drephen, Bushman, and vidjo (I'm assuming he still plays for this >_> ), but not counting vidjo kinda puts OH down a bit; they still have Ameer and the various Cincinatti guys, though. MI's pretty solid as well between dope, Trail, Mikey, Montross, and Joel (practice up, Joel :p).

So, I'd say IL > OH > IN > MI for overall ability. Just my opinion, however.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
i personally think a state's "average" doesnt really matter at all. it depends on how many top tier players they have, and thats it. Therefore, IN / OH / MI are the best, with IN in a slight lead. Besides our "top players" USUALLY get ***** in EC tourneys, besides Drephen (<3), so therefore our "avg" players must really suck *** anyways.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
One reason the state crews never worked out is that some crews are split across states. The KS/MO crew is one example. People didn't want to do it because of that alone. Still it's a good possibility for FC again this year. We'll have to think things through.

Just to run down the Power Rankings
1. Dope - MI
2. Tink - IN
3. Darkrain - MO
4. Drephen - OH
5. Vidjo - OH
6. Cunning - IN (For now)
7. KishPrime - IN
8. Joe Bushman - OH
9. KishSquared - IN
9. Ignatius - IN
11. Trail - MI (For now)
12. Eddie - IL
13. Jiano - KY
14. Mathos - OH
15. Mikey Lenetia - MI
1337 OH
B-Ryan OH
DYC MO
Viperboy IL
Pyrogamer OH
Dmac KS
Tapion WI

As Cunning is in Indiana now, I would think IN is the easy choice. If not for that, Ohio might edge out Indiana.

My first instinct is that Illinois is definately the deepest, but when you look at it I think Ohio actually could make that claim. 6 players in the Top 20 is more than any other state, and the next tier down isn't bad either between SOK and Pyro. I think SOK is underrated by most people, and right now I think that as a whole they'd have a solid edge over the second tier of Illinois.

If Missouri and Kansas people were one, I think they could challenge the Top 5 in Illinois. Dark, Z, DYC, Dmac, and Phatgamer is a pretty solid team. But they're not. I think with Illinois temporarily losing Trail and Cunning, Michigan would probably beat them too.

Does anyone even play Smash in Indiana? <_< Big C and AC are solid backups though. After that...who knows? Hopefully the IU and PU crews step it up!

State crews would be fun at FC, but the problem comes back to that some crews are split across state lines. Also, what would we give up in the schedule, normal crews? I'll revisit the idea.

In terms of who I think would win in crew battles, I'd say:
1. Indiana
2. Ohio
3. Michigan
4. Missouri
5. Illinois
6. Kentucky
7. Nebraska
8. Kansas
9. Minnesota
10. Wisconsin
11. Iowa - But is first in the coolness rankings with EarthBowser!
**** I'm not exactly sure of the split in who's in KS/MO...could be wrong.

viperboy_74

Smash Master
see, i agree with prime and cunning in a lot of aspects, but i disagree in some too...

eddie is good, always has been, always will be, but it's not too certain he's the best in Illinois anymore. i recently beat him 3-1 in the last tourney i played him, but it was the only time... i doubt i could do it again, but it's always a possibility and i now know i at least have a chance. Wuwu recently beat me and dope and cunning in a tourney, just not too many other poeple have played him... zec's a solid player for the most part... he needs more practice on other things but wuwu, but he's solid as ****. Capt. Awesome is still here too, whether people realize it or not...

yeah, most of our top players (trail, cunning, and marcus) have left us, but i think we're still a competetor and once trail and cunning come back, i think we'd be **** near the top...

i think for now, as of this exact moment it'd be:
1. Indiana
2. Ohio
3. Illinois
4. Michigan
5. Missouri
6. Nebraska
7. Kentucky (sorry Jiano, but you and Dante aren't enough to take the whole Nebraska crew :()

also, michigan and illinois could be flipped around, especially now that joel is comin back...

anyway, that's my honest ranking list...

TRE1

Smash Apprentice
Taking a break from the usual organic chem work to throw my two cents in on this. heh In terms of the "lower-level" players, i.e., average tourney-goers, I may have to put IL on top for overall ability; they currently have the likes of viperboy, Zec, Wuwu, Captain Awesome, Mendoza, Jazzness, and, of course, Ray Chung.

:( ouch, my poor little heart. Cunning you could have thrown me some sympathy props at least. I have been stepping it up a lot lately.

anyway, don't forget pete chen

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
WI > Iowa any day. :D ^_~

Dono about Minnesota.
I'm quickly becoming good. But anyways we got no good people. Even if I did get there It would be like 2 people 3 Maybe??? But illinois is like 15 good people lol. Probably lots more. But hey I'm moving to Illinois in the next few months so I'll join Illinois! ROFL

1. Indiana
2. Ohio
3. Illinois
4. Michigan
5. Missouri
6. Nebraska
7. Kentucky
8 Wisconsin
9 Minnesota
10 Iowa

As far as average talent I would argue that Iowa has quite some average talent. As far as top elitists that would be different.
Oh yeah I agree with viperboys list somewhat so It's pretty acurrate. If you wanted to go by rankings in the points that would be good too. There should be an official ranking of the states! For real

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
wow...i really didn't expect so much attention in this forrum lol, so who is the best MN player anyways? aaron? i've never been to a tourny, but i plan on it this summer perhaps, im too busy right now ><, but i have watched a few of the MN players on youtube, and i think i will do ok maybe

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
MN sucks balls. Aaron and Chexr are by far our best players, but they don't even make it all that far in big tournaments (with the exception of Chexr placing second to Azen in the FC3 low tier, and I think Aaron placed second in that WI tournament for a Wii, HJ4 or something). That's probably mostly due to their lack of experience, not skill. We just need to play more, and our scene is growing, so we'll see. Just FYI.

And Viperboy not putting MN or WI on his list? Where's the love, son?

Kel

Smash Master
IN beat OH in a crew battle last summer.

With Joshu.
You mean when a GameJunkie tourney was the same day and Ohio chose to go to GJ instead (With the exception of Drephen). Wasn't that Illiana versus Ohio/Michigan anyway?

Yeah I played with Vidjo and Pyro over the weekend and while they're rusty they could get it back with little practice. Vidjo says he wants to start playing again, plus he finally got a llicense so if the GamerGuild stops wrecking cars they could potentially be pretty good again.

Why don't we do Ohio vs Indy at SMYM7? Either the night before, or after singles or whatever, just time Pending. How many per crew? Ohio's got Drephen, Vidjo, B-ryan, BoeJushman, Ameer plus 2nd tiers.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Actually, that was specifically a Ship vs. Cok Crew battle. Thanks for Ohio (and Dope) deciding to go to GJ, the major crew battle degraded into a normal one. I'm pretty sure the line-up was:

Prime
Squared
Iggy
Joshu

vs
Drephen
Joe Bushman
Mathos
Watty

Tink and Vidjo weren't involved, but they about negate each other. However, we might have to replace Joshu with Cunning if we do that. ^_^

Sorry Joshu!

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
We'll call Joshu for financial insider info. Until then, I think this thread has served its purpose. Let's close it for now, as I really don't think there's enough interest to do state crews at FC. We'll open a discussion once FC gets closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom