• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RagnaRoK's Ultimate Roy Guide Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Closed down my last Thread due to over flamming newbs, so gotta start up a new one.

RagnaRoK's Ultimate Roy Guide Version 2.0
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission statement: To train those who "WANT" to learn RagnaRoK's method to playing Roy, this is the updated version of my last one, with more stuff about it. This is strictly my method, think its helpful or not, don't like something? Move onto the next thing.

RoK's anti-elite: People are making Melee out to be nothing but who has the highest priority, which top tiers are the best etc. etc., saying my methods won't work and that they suck, its not practical and it doesn't work unless I have a prediction of everywhere my opponent will land, that or they're stupid. No, you're just not fast enough to get there, that or you're so used to seeing a Roy player do something specific anything out the Roy Method's comfort zone is bad.

Know this : This guide will continue to change as I continue to expand upon my knowledge of Roy and that of what it means to be a Roy'er, my methods are working, and with this I am getting better and better, don't like it? Go flame some other guide, or better yet, make a better guide.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction to Roy

Roy is one of Smash Brothers hated for the simple fact people think he's difficult to play with and is a "lesser" version of Marth. This isn't true at all, in fact, you don't play Mario like you would Luigi, so why the hell would you try to play Roy like you would Marth? It doesn't make sense and its unethical, and you'll lose many fights because of it. Roy is a fastfaller, a hard hitter, a quick killer, but struggles at the beginning to rack up damage/getting shield grabbed/and hard to kill floaters at high percentages as he can't combo into kills, but this guide will cover how to do all of that, remember, by doing things your opponent wouldn't expect a pro to do, are you truly able to catch them off guard.

"Quickness"

Roy is of a moderate speed but can be made very speedy if the use of pivoting, dash dancing, wave dashing/dancing and waveshielding are used. This can make Roy a feared adversary if you stay upon the offensive and learn to effective use all of these, along with chain throwing on certain characters and counters on abuses, all take reflexes pretty fast, but keep in mind that Roy can't stand still too long because of the lag of his moves, and standing still longer than necessary will result in an attack on him.

"Weakness"

From what I've played and witness of my own, Roy is strong against players such as Fox and Falco, yet has difficulty with people such as Marth and Peach, when fighting these types of users, be sure to note their pattern of fighting and take advantage of attacks by countering, also, be sure to learn how to grab items, it'll come quite handy against peach's turnips and Link's/Young Link's Bombs.

Tilt's

Forward - Used as a mini smash attack, also a good way to hit an opponent as soon as you land without much delay whatsoever, trying to get a person to an edge to setup for an edge guard is mostly what I use this move for.

Down - Used to pop up opponents into the air, this is used as an extension for a combo normally, or to setup for an early smash attack against heavy set characters. Also, if an opponent on the edge can be tipped at the very edge with this, sometimes it'll pop them up just enough for a devastating smash attack that normally knocks them too far to get back.

Up - Used more of a defense method, and stages such as Battlefield/Fountain of Dreams/Dreamland/ Etc. Can actually go up through the lower plateforms while you're still on the ground, can greatly annoy someone if they can't drop through the stage to attack you, forcing them to take a seperate route.
Forward - Used as a setup attack for a quick down smash attack, or a grab. Mostly this is all that you should use this for, otherwise, its nothing but a way to get shield grab, against someone that normally crouches against an attack to do their own down tilt, you want to avoid using this move on.

Down - Used as a spike and also as a way to pop up an opponent for a smash attack. I tend to use this when an opponent is at a medium damage range to pop them up a little to sweet spot a smash attack, also from a down tilt a spike. (They normally recover from the spike and I smash attack them. )

Up - Used as a way to juggle an adversary (Heavy chars/ or chars on stages like battlefield) through a platform or to setup for a smash attack if caught off guard. Also used for quick grabs.
Forward - Roy's Primary killer, used to decimate opponents at a high percentage or for a quick kill if its sweet spotted close to an edge, the best way to use this is to grab an opponent, throw him back toward's the edge and smash as he bounces from the ground. If he takes, he'll either re-roll back to the edge, or roll just infront of you. You have to know how they will respond, so try this on them an then wait, then do it again and try to see where they'll be.

Down - Kill's floater's pretty good, comes out quick but the delay of the move lasts a while, so use with caution. Can be dash canceled into easily, but beware of using this excessive times.

Up - Roy's Up Smash has three primary uses, 1.) Defense/2.) Spike 3.) Juggle.
Defense , because he stretches his arm out, forces the sword up and away from his hit box, so you can stop certain characters if at the right angle, such as gannon's Dair/Links Dair/ Etc. Takes timing. (Don't try on Kirby's Down B). For spiking, if you happen to hit an opponent with the tip, sometimes they'll be sent down, at decent percents this will kill them if not DI'd Properly. Juggling is again, a Fox and Falco move (Roy's a Space Animal Exterminator) You can up smash continuously an they'll continue to fall into the blade, if not DI'd properly , or if they're caught off guard, this will rack up damages pretty **** fast.
Forward - Throws them just a bit forward, can be combo'd into by running up and grabbing them once again and slinging them forward, then smashing. People tend to tech this alot and roll back/forward once you intiate it. Best thing to do is to t hrow them where they can either roll back to the edge so you can wave dash up & smash, either connecting to hanging them off the cliff, or they'll roll towards you and you can smash them.

Up throw - Used really to give you spacing, or to chain throw fox/falco. Also, if you manage to get someone all the way up in damage (Lets say 150% + ) and can't manage to kill them, use this to finish them off, (Warning, This is **** near useless at dreamland).

Down Throw - Early percents it can be used to a forward smash, however, once they begin to get higher and they have you against an edge, you can down throw and they'll fly in a diagonal upwards pattern off the edge, can set up for an edge guard if you can wave dash back and smash before they think to drop below the stage for a recovery move, or you can simply dash dance and wait for them to try and get up to the edge and follow it with a JC grab or Sword Dance.

Executioner - Fair/Grab/Tap A Twice/Down Throw/Forward Smash in direction of foe.

Basically, a Fair racks up damage and allows you to grab them (If you aren't shield grabbed by this time or crouch canceled), and then you hit them twice while holding, you throw them down so they fal behind you, and if tech'ing isn't avaliable for them yet and they're standing you smash, if you see them beginning to tech, wave dash towards them and smash.

Judgement - Nair/Down tilt/ Nair/Shield/Forward Smash or JC grab/ (If grabbed, back throw, forward smash)

This is called Judgement cause you need to make a judgement on what you do. You nuetral air into down tilt. Once you pop them up you nuetral air them once more and put up your shield, since for some reason they seem to be able to move right after they're attacked, put up your shield, if they try to attack, you can either smash or grab, if they fall back, chase and JC grab, afterwards, throw and smash.

Smashie Smashie! - Nair/JC Grab/ Tap A twice/ Down throw, Forward Smash.

Again this is situational, they may tech off of this, if so, you want to tech chase and proceed with a JC grab and substitute the Down throw for a back throw and try to smash attack.
_______________________________Middle Percents.

RoK's Insta Classic - Fair (Optional)/Down tilt/ Uair/Forward smash.

What you want to do is run at them and either dash canceled Down Tilt or fair to downtilt, After you do so, do a SHFFL'd (You should be shuffling all moves) Uair to keep them up just a bit, then forward smash soon after, should connect with proper timing.

(I'll finish this guide later, class is starting, leave POSITIVE comments or CONTRUCTIVE Critism or questions.) ;D

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey roy..I know you said you are not going to be doing many money matchs at HOST 2 but I have an offer you can't refuse!!! I will roy ditto you for any amount of money small or large..and I don't play roy at all have never really used him even in friendlys...

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
do not turn this into another challening RagnaRoK thread or this time i will actually give out warnings

technomancer

Smash Champion
This is much improved from the previous version, and you did a good job of covering your bases. Good stuff.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
You kinda forgot a couple other attack discriptions... Also you're forgetting about the B attacks since they are pretty important to Roy... Though, I have to kinda disagree with a couple of your discriptions... Also, not to greatly fond of people who name their combo, because you are more encouraging people to actually use it when there is around little chance they would do exactly what you do...

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
All i can agree as for your guide is that it is much improved over your last one....because your previous one wasnt set out real well. Im sure you'll add more information as you learn more about your character. Im glad that your making an effort to make more out of your guide and to hopefully gain more insight towards it.

Keep up the work.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
do not turn this into another challening RagnaRoK thread or this time i will actually give out warnings
sentinel, this really should be closed, just because it's so wrong. i understand that he's new, i understand that no guide is perfect, but literally everything he says isnt even remotely possible. it should be closed on the basis that its just gonna make new players who look at it even more hubris than they were before because they think that what he's saying is right, making the forums even worse, although hard to believe, than it is now.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
sorry i must agree hank mccoy as well most of the people that have read your guide

you just don't have the experience yet in tourny level to write one, start going/doing well in tournies and give this guide thing another shot

and so im gonna close this, please dont make another guide topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom