• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Mario plz(New vids->UPDATE)

FFIV

Smash Cadet
The only real things I would use Cape while not offstage are either reflecting or mindgames. You sort of overused it there, and rarely, if at all, for mindgaming, and that ultimately led you to lose a life at one point.

You NEED L-cancel to prevent KOs like around 2:30. Press L before landing on the ground after an aerial.

Do not use your second jump immediately offstage. This will ultimately reduce your chances of returning. Try using it after a few Capes and a Mario Tornado.

So, basically, Cape less, L-cancel, and sparingly double-jump when trying to recover.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Besides what was mentioned above, you want to try and change your mindset when it comes to pressuring the opponent. After you knockdown the opponent (you did that with d-smash a few times), you kind of just stood there, and did nothing. Usually, you want to follow up and chase after the opponent to techchase, or just put pressure on them in general. Waiting for them to recover while you stand there isn't good for you.

Also, for some reason, you're just not fastfalling in general. You're not fastfalling your short-hopped u-airs, you're not fastfalling when you're high in the air and need to get to the ground quickly, that kind of stuff. You NEED to fastfall, because Mario tends to be kind of vulnerable in the air; at least he operates much better on the ground than he does in the air. You can combo better and reduce your vulnerability if you fastfall more; you were just floating around when you were airborne.

Other tips: conserve your second jump. It's been said before, but Mario's recovery is crappy; when you arbitrarily use your second jump, the opponent has a pretty good chance of getting a KO if they get you off the stage and edgeguard.

Also jump-cancel your dash grabs. It has less lag if you happen to miss; jump-canceled grabs are pretty critical for any kind of grab game.

Smash Journeyman
Besides what was mentioned above, you want to try and change your mindset when it comes to pressuring the opponent. After you knockdown the opponent (you did that with d-smash a few times), you kind of just stood there, and did nothing. Usually, you want to follow up and chase after the opponent to techchase, or just put pressure on them in general. Waiting for them to recover while you stand there isn't good for you.

Also, for some reason, you're just not fastfalling in general. You're not fastfalling your short-hopped u-airs, you're not fastfalling when you're high in the air and need to get to the ground quickly, that kind of stuff. You NEED to fastfall, because Mario tends to be kind of vulnerable in the air; at least he operates much better on the ground than he does in the air. You can combo better and reduce your vulnerability if you fastfall more; you were just floating around when you were airborne.

Other tips: conserve your second jump. It's been said before, but Mario's recovery is crappy; when you arbitrarily use your second jump, the opponent has a pretty good chance of getting a KO if they get you off the stage and edgeguard.

Also jump-cancel your dash grabs. It has less lag if you happen to miss; jump-canceled grabs are pretty critical for any kind of grab game.
well said maelstrom:) can i get a home made sig out you?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
well said maelstrom:) can i get a home made sig out you?
Sorry, no can do. I've got a backlog of like 3 or 4 sigs to make for other people, and I just don't have the time to finish them, what with school and everything else.

Plus, you wouldn't want a sig from a n00by sigmaker, would you? It says so on my sig. :dizzy:

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, no can do. I've got a backlog of like 3 or 4 sigs to make for other people, and I just don't have the time to finish them, what with school and everything else.

Plus, you wouldn't want a sig from a n00by sigmaker, would you? It says so on my sig. :dizzy:
aw that messed up its cool maelstrom

Top Bottom