• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Tech!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, so as of late I've been delving into the world of FFXIV. For those of you who can not guess, it's Final FantasyXIV. Now, to do so me and my girlfriend both needed computers, good ones ontop of that. My 8yr old Alienware had transcended into the dinosaur, so I knew it was time to upgrade. I needed a Laptop/Desktop, as I lack room for two Desktops.

Laptop(Asus)

7200Rpm 750gig HD
8Gig Ram
460M Nvidia Card
I7 Sandy Bridge 2.0 Duo/2.9 Turbo
HD Sound Card

At 899 at that! I love Newegg<3 This thing isn't super strong, though for a laptop I like to think it's decent.

Now this is where the post gets nice. I hate the over price(ness) of computers, so I decided to get my neighbor to help me build one. With 1,450 dollars, this is what I made:

-Standard Case
-750 Watt power supply
-1TB 7200 rpm HD
-Asus P8P67 Deluxe Mobo
-16gigs of Ram
-570 EVGA Nvidia Card
-Standard CD Drive
-QuadCore 3.4(3.8 Turbo) I7 Sandy Bridge

Just wanting some thoughts really, it was my first build :) My friend tries to argue a Mac would be better, hah!

John2k4

The End of an Era
Looks like you did a pretty nice build! My first computer was a custom build, and that's what I've done for the past 10 years - build, swap, and upgrade to stay somewhat recent. :)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sorry for the late reply! Yeah, I love Vrtra. Def. need to get a better HD one day, had to gimp out on that. Was going to get a Sound Card, but on board sound is so epic... Idk.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Yeah, with the onboard sound technology these days, it's a really good option. Sound cards are pretty much unnecessary unless you need to do the world's best surround sound or something.

Browny

Smash Hater
Alright, so as of late I've been delving into the world of FFXIV. For those of you who can not guess, it's Final FantasyXIV. Now, to do so me and my girlfriend both needed computers, good ones ontop of that. My 8yr old Alienware had transcended into the dinosaur, so I knew it was time to upgrade. I needed a Laptop/Desktop, as I lack room for two Desktops.

Laptop(Asus)

7200Rpm 750gig HD
8Gig Ram
460M Nvidia Card
I7 Sandy Bridge 2.0 Duo/2.9 Turbo
HD Sound Card

At 899 at that! I love Newegg<3 This thing isn't super strong, though for a laptop I like to think it's decent.

Now this is where the post gets nice. I hate the over price(ness) of computers, so I decided to get my neighbor to help me build one. With 1,450 dollars, this is what I made:

-Standard Case
-750 Watt power supply
-1TB 7200 rpm HD
-Asus P8P67 Deluxe Mobo
-16gigs of Ram
-570 EVGA Nvidia Card
-Standard CD Drive
-QuadCore 3.4(3.8 Turbo) I7 Sandy Bridge

Just wanting some thoughts really, it was my first build :) My friend tries to argue a Mac would be better, hah!
Well damn if youve got that sort of money to burn, get an SSD. Cuts so much load times from your bootup and games. Just remember to disable sleep mode :p 128gb seems a good amount, I got a 64gb one but found that after W7 and all the important drivers and peripheral software, I only have 15gb which wont even install new games (so I bought a second one to get it to 128).

Top Bottom