• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

reaction focus?

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I'm debating on if I should keep doing my sh Nair mix-up game is demands high reactions where I sh and react/read and will mix up with pull back empty or 2nd jump dair/pull back jolt.

Or should I dd closer but I generally get much less from nairs but I can also get a few more grabs.

And really pichu's biggest selling point over pika is his higher proitity nair that beats out ffers nairs if timed (with extra space needed)

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i like to dash dance closer but that usually ends up with me taking tipper f smashes in the face from marths so probably not against characters who can just cover a ton of space immediately unless you really want to bait it and punish it (i'm negative about this since i'm bad at wavedashing OoS so idk). i guess it would work against somebody like link who would have to commit a bit more close up without giving too much immediate danger.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Like vs fox if I stay back a bit and have great reaction time when I sh I can run over his nair/approach game. But if I dd a little closer I lose some mix-ups but I might be able to get some more grabs. I really don't know which would be more useful or if I should switch around as I go. I really can't tell

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
well if you stay back and mess with his approaches along with standard pichu stuff it could probably condition fox to be a bit more cautious and then more grabs might be possible if he considers shielding.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Good bairing makes people shield less because I hammer and hammer and hammer on it and they struggle to punish well spaced nairs or good general shield pressure.

And they dd harder

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
then the farther dd would probably be optimal unless you feel like you can get the grab since you'd have more space to throw out jolts and what not like you said before and start some mindgames or wait until they screw up an approach.

unless it's falco or maybe shiek screw lasers and needles.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
pull back dj with pichu is more of a gimmick. It's still good, and you'll bait a lot of **** out, but it's just not that good with pichu.
I prefer to DD more often and use empty sh and pullback dj as mixups on rare occasion.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I rarely 2nd jump I pull back in my sh in part from reaction/read kind of like puff players and carefully time my nairs. But i need a little extra range for the pull back to work little the difference in spacing is dding right on tipper marth range or a pichu and a half back but it changes what I can do on reaction vs fox/falcon

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I mix-up a few nair timings and spacing si have low nair for frame disadvantage, small cross-up and full cross-up. All have their times and places.

I know vs like fox I generally can't do the small cross up because there is bair/up-smash. But what are You referring to?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
what's not safe on shield? i'm confused. shouldn't nair be decent/good on shield if overshooted, or are you saying the opponent could wavedash OoS if we're close enough and do whatever?
nair is good on shield, but not if you pull back with it like you would with Puff.
You also want to be using it as late as possible since it will give you a higher frame advantage.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I pulled back as in not doing an attack or I low nair and double nair vs some cc/shield then pull back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom