• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Relevance of Short Hop Air Dodging?

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Before I start this post, big apologies if this is supposed to be in one of the stickied threads. Anyway:
I was playing a little bit of Bowser Jr. yesterday, who I used to play a bit but now solo Fox, and I came across his short hop air dodge. You will normally see this from characters like Samus or Yoshi to compensate for their bad rolls. I don't know exactly how good/bad Jr.'s roll is, but I can see short hop air dodge being a better evasive option, and can even be applied for offensive purposes & mindgames.
Short hop air dodge+Nair: part of the neutral air animation will come out, but you will still autocancel on landing. Could see this being used to bait shield grabs and punishing with a spaced forward smash and whatnot.

Short hop Air Dodge+forward air: the small landing hitbox will come out upon landing. This is the hitbox that combos into tilts at low percents and up smash at kill percents.

I'll edit this post and add more details when I find the time.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
SHAD Fair is bad. The hitbox is so weak that you will probably get punished during the 27 frames of landing lag even with a hit. Nevermind what happens when it's shielded...
Nair isn't much better. 18 frames is huge, and the move doesn't have enough range and power to make it a very safe or effective option.
Other characters with low endlag or better ranged attacks can use this more effectively, but for Bowser Jr. it's almost a moot point. I'd rather land and attempt a tilt instead of an aerial with this move.

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
SHAD > dair is good if you find an opening.
Dair's landing hitbox is a good combo starter but it's still incredibly risky.
Which brings me back to why I don't suggest this in the first place.
If you can read your opponent and make it happen, more power to you. But this is NOT safe.

Top Bottom