• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling Offensively

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Specifically crossing your opponent up in a way that you land right behind them. This can be done out of a dash, but it takes some practice.
I think this has huge potential, specifically I think it could advance the meta in a good way. If you ever run into an opponent who likes to press buttons, (I'm talking mad buttons) this can be extremely useful. People will often try to cover their landing with jabs, tilts and smashes. Also if you go for a combo that isn't true. I also main diddy kong, and when I know that d tilt won't true combo into a grab, I roll behind my opponent. This covers their jab and spot dodge option. This leaves me very safe unless to predict it or use a down smash like marios or clouds. I find this to be extremely useful against people who like mashing.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Possibly a good thing to mix up with hip checks, as if you hip check deep into a jab like bowser jr or game and watch, it's pretty hard to DI out of.

Keep them thinking.

Spacing would be the only issue really, and characters with a strong and quick dsmash. OR if they auto cancel a dair to grab and they grab you out of the roll.

Actually the more I think about it, it might have more cons than pros lol.

Maybe some recorded examples would be good.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I could see this being good when the opponent is grounded. Condition them to think you're gonna run up and shield but you instead roll behind them.

If they're in the air I prefer to pp underneath them/behind them. It keeps all my options open while still positioning me where I want to be and it's less punishable since shield still exists. I like to do this out of utilt as well. Utilt a couple times then pp behind for tipper down tilt to whatever. Will cover a lot of options depending on if they're just throwing out attacks to land with.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Possibly a good thing to mix up with hip checks, as if you hip check deep into a jab like bowser jr or game and watch, it's pretty hard to DI out of.

Keep them thinking.

Spacing would be the only issue really, and characters with a strong and quick dsmash. OR if they auto cancel a dair to grab and they grab you out of the roll.

Actually the more I think about it, it might have more cons than pros lol.

Maybe some recorded examples would be good.
Yeah it's really not the best option when you get down to it. It's reactable, punishable, predictable. The list goes on. Spacing with it is definitely possible, I do it all the time. Dashing into roll is hard to cover since most opponents who cover roll, cover it from your standing position. I'm talking about using it against opponents who will constantly mash jab after they have been hit by something. The best example for fox would be f tilt. They expect you to try and follow up with a dash attack or grab after the f tilt, so you can mix them up with grab. The situations for this are limited, but if you know they are going to attack while grounded, it is a great mix up. Especially since it's possible to space with it.

Top Bottom