• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Flare blade

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
This wasnt covered too greatly in the faq so I just wanted to see everyone's opinion on the flare blade as a move outside of edgeguarding....

I mean, I mix it in there once in a while between shffling, and when its shffed it has a greater attacking area than when simply standing. I thought it made a decent aerial since its practically his only move that has greater knockback when hitting at the tip. can be used for an unexpected move (when simply tapped, not charged).

Of course, it shouldnt be done in the middle of a combo that sends the opponent moderately far away because he'd have to be a moron to run into a charging attack.

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
I personally use Flare Blade pretty often. I think it's a fairly good move to use to give you some breathing space, and I use it tons because I play against a really annoying Yoshi, and it's great for stopping his second jump. I also like jumping before it because it makes it easier to use.

technomancer

Smash Champion
It's really a style choice. Don't use it against characters with big grab ranges. It's got uber priority with it's huge hitbox but isn't very quick on the come-out compared to your DED and Fair, and can't be L-cancelled so it's laggy. Retreating reverse flare blades are a bit safer but less useful. It also does decent shield damage, but nothing that a fair or uair can't do.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
THAT is also an important reason as to why I happen to use the flareblade as an aerial at times as well.. unlike marth, who i play sometimes as well, the hitbox for a non-tip aerial is soo tiny and the tip is wimpy so it makes for a .. decent ranged attack I suppose.
I think its best used if you want knockback and slight range but for setups fair makes much better use.

Dory..?

Smash Apprentice
I personally use Flare Blade pretty often. I think it's a fairly good move to use to give you some breathing space, and I use it tons because I play against a really annoying Yoshi, and it's great for stopping his second jump. I also like jumping before it because it makes it easier to use.
I agree, its very good for quick combos and its really good to reset your opponets combo if your getting rocked, its just an all around good move, and if your a ground fighter then its really good. Like for instances i played roy first and tried to play marth just to see the hype but im terrible with marth...........just ground fighting with roy is were its at for my style and the flare blade is really important for me......

O and sick banner IKillCauseOfVGs its really obscure and amazing all at the same time.....

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
i only use flare blade for an aerial attacks ince it seems like it has more of a reach then other attacks not to mention it adds a little knockback with damage.

^_^

technomancer

Smash Champion
Another thing to note is the the opening of the attack hits above Roy's head, so it will hit where Fair won't and do decent stuff at percentages where U-air isn't useful.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to note is the the opening of the attack hits above Roy's head, so it will hit where Fair won't and do decent stuff at percentages where U-air isn't useful.
Indeed, I use this as an alternative to marth's fsmash at times when I'm not playing marth.

hyper sheiguy

Smash Rookie
i don't know if everyone has noticed,but people seems to be sometimes fooled when using the flare blade with edgehopping,they think the can't attack because of the flames,it gives you the chance to do anything.(except smashes)

technomancer

Smash Champion
i don't know if everyone has noticed,but people seems to be sometimes fooled when using the flare blade with edgehopping,they think the can't attack because of the flames,it gives you the chance to do anything.(except smashes)
You mean edgehop reverse flare blade as an edgehog, or as a counter to edgeguarding when you're hanging?

Most decent players will know that they can get out of any follow up you do with flare blade.

Top Bottom