• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Comboing Into Up-Smash Spike?

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
So I was playing online a couple of days ago and I performed this really interesting combo that could possibly be explored more. I tried replicating it but so far I have been unsuccessful, but I think that this could be really helpful for Roy mains as it would bring a new kill option to the table. So my question is: Do you think that this is a reliable kill combo? I have a video showcasing it here:
It's the first combo shown, and is performed on Palutena.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Looks like the pull in effect Usmash had was affected by rage. Seems like Roy's getting more and more use out of the rage gimmick.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Afaik, Nair > Usmash isn't a combo. I'm also not sure if rage affects Usmash's pull effect and spike. I thought it was just similar to his Melee Usmash spike that's all. But rage potentially affecting the move is something to look into, especially since this is the first time I've heard of such thing. Roy's at 50% and the pull/spike looks similar to me.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Afaik, Nair > Usmash isn't a combo. I'm also not sure if rage affects Usmash's pull effect and spike. I thought it was just similar to his Melee Usmash spike that's all. But rage potentially affecting the move is something to look into, especially since this is the first time I've heard of such thing. Roy's at 50% and the pull/spike looks similar to me.
Lucas is at 50%, Palutena is at 25%, which might explain it.

To the lab, then?

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
And unfortunately I don't believe Down Throw to Fair at low% is a combo either. if it was, at 20% you could Down Throw > SH > Fair > Double Jump > Fair > Up-B for a ridiculous amount of damage.

Most people don't know you can double jump out of a perfect SH Fair before landing if you don't SHFF it, it's a shame there isn't a reliable setup for it at the %'s it works.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Good find. I'm trying to figure out what triggers the spike in 4, it's even more elusive than Melee.
Sourspot of hits 2-4 have a downwards trajectory (260 degrees, slightly off from straight down). If those are unlinked from the other hits, they'll send the opponent downwards. These are the same hits that cause a chance for tripping when the opponent is on a platform above Roy.

Source: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Roy

Last edited:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
Sourspot of hits 2-4 have a downwards trajectory (260 degrees, slightly off from straight down). If those are unlinked from the other hits, they'll send the opponent downwards. These are the same hits that cause a chance for tripping when the opponent is on a platform above Roy.

Source: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Roy
any tips on hitting with only frames 2-4?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
any tips on hitting with only frames 2-4?
If you're trying to get that downwards pseudo spike, it is for HITS 2-4, not frames 2-4 lol. Hits 2-4 hit on frames 15, 17, and 19 lol.

To answer your question...no, I have no idea how to unlink those at this point in time to get the pseudo spike. Nair > up smash isn't a true combo or a reliable string; a smart opponent will be able to react in time to avoid it. Research is still ongoing, so to speak lol.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
If you're trying to get that downwards pseudo spike, it is for HITS 2-4, not frames 2-4 lol. Hits 2-4 hit on frames 15, 17, and 19 lol.

To answer your question...no, I have no idea how to unlink those at this point in time to get the pseudo spike. Nair > up smash isn't a true combo or a reliable string; a smart opponent will be able to react in time to avoid it. Research is still ongoing, so to speak lol.
lol i had a brainfart, i meant to say hits, not frames

Top Bottom