• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Combos

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
This is one roy combo I discovered in training mode Roy vs Captain Falcon
Dtilt , Side B > + ^ + V , Wave dash forward, Dtilt , Grab + V , (back) Fsmash.

Only thing about this combo is right at either the second down tilt or the grab the combo resets. but still a pretty sick combo.
Note* Captain Falcon's damage was at 0%

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that against a human player, the DI plays an important part ...so maybe the combo can work, only if no DI but for real, when I down tilt falcon, its to downtilt again and again until I FSMASH or something similar :) NO wavedash in between downtilts, I just get up and walk a bit then crouch again, and dtilt, lol I sound weird.
I also use the first Hit of the side b , if the opponent blocks it, I jump cancel grab.
if you used the 3 hit of the side b and they roll bewind you , reverse Fsmash
It can be good to practice the aerial side B, as it can make you float a little , to land another aerial like fair, or uair.

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
I Came across this combo when training with Falco, In my last post people gave me some good advice with DI. But with this combo I'm wondering if it will still apply. So let's get into it

Character : Roy

Enemy : Falco

Damage : 45%, 46%, 47%, 50% ( main reason why I put individual damages because I wasn't able to pull this off with 48% and 49% yet.

Combo : UpThrow, UpTilt , Turn Around, DownTilt, Dash Attack , Dash Attack, Dash Attack. ( 6 Consecutive hits)

Now in-between the dash attacks you can end it off with a F-smash

Pros: Big Chunk of Damage, Can end with a Fsmash, and Cause 63% - 64%as a damage total plus the original values I gave above, ALSO can end with a K.O

Cons: Failure within the combo
adjust timing within the Uptilt
Directional Influence
And Failure within trajectory ( meaning how high and where the enemy falls.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Ya I have a strong feeling that this will not work on a human player simply because of DI. Try the same combo on a level 3 CPU in vs mode. They will probably mess it up with their DI.

Roy combos, to me, are pretty much all 2 hits - some move->forward smash.

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
This looks good but, in practice...it would not work. I just know it.The % is a key factor in doing combos.(some combo works only a low %)
Maybe if no DI at all, but even then , the opponent reaction is EXTREMLY important in smash melee, you can't think that a couple of inputs are set in stone to combo with roy, it's a lot more like, situational. Anyway, try it against a real opponent and be surprised!! :) but for real, as a roy fellow, KEEP IT UP MAN !!! :)

SAUS

Smash Ace
That first up-tilt will probably never hit in the right spot if they are DIing. Some of the other attacks may work but will require more movement from you to follow their DI. I find D-tilt to be a very good combo move, and something like forward-air into d-tilt is quite good. D-tilt can also combo into a forward smash, or into up-air forward smash.

Roy combos in general are short, but powerful. His forward smash does tons of damage and can kill at relatively low damage. Don't expect to get more than 3 or 4 hits in a combo against a human opponent, but expect that combo to leave a sting.

You may find it more beneficial to you to avoid trying to come up with very specific attack links such as this. I would suggest to you more of a flow chart sort of approach with emphasis on getting your opponent closer to being KO'd. For example, say you Uthrow and get that Utilt -> Dtilt -> Dash attack scenario in that video of yours. Why go for the next dash attack? I am almost fairly certain that Fsmash would have finished Falco with the tipper and sent him very far offstage. At which point you are almost guaranteed a stock by either grabbing the ledge or hitting him again with another move at his attempt to get back on stage after burning up a 2nd jump to get there.

The point I am trying to make is avoid very specific attack patterns. Be able to have an option no matter the situation to keep your opponent in a bad spot without them being able to 'recover'. By recover, I mean the situation in which you end with a weak fsmash at the end of that video. You cannot stop any of falco's options at that point since you both effectively returned to neutral and you must fight to regain your advantage.

Example

Falco vs Roy on FD starting at a 0% to say 30% range.
1) Grab Falco and only Uthrow chain grab because he literally cannot do anything about it. OR Do tech chases with Dthrow or Fthrow. Guaranteed as well no matter what Falco does, but more effort on your part to make sure you get all the tech options right.
2) After exiting CG range Roy's options expand and you might be able to start getting in SH Uair -> regrabs for DI near Roy, but have to SH Fair on far away DI.

Anything more than this starts to get a little hairy. Because fairly early on in a CG you could have been near the ledge and Falco did some really whacky DI near Roy off his Uthrow allowing you to Fsmash tipper. Then, there is really no need for anything more elaborate.

Ideally, I think in the midst of playing a person should have each move calculated to give them a better future.

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
Welll my friend the thing about that is that I don't have a friend to play with, but if you would like to help me that would be great. then my insight on this may expand.

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help and you're right , And like I said DI was a con in this combo of mine like any other combo to be created. and probably wont be used in actual game-play but, doesn't mean it can't be done. The reason why I added in the dash attack series is to add on more damage you could just do 1 dash and end with a fsmash which would do mmmm around 100% or over? But i'll take your advice and and see what I can come up with.

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
Alright let's play tell me a meet up time we'll train together. But I won't be home till like either 2 or 3 O'clock

Last edited:
Top Bottom