• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Royology! Y'know... studying stuffs.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
I know this board is kinda dead with corpses floating up here and there to necro, but seeing some of these interesting post and threads makes me want to start what is to me an important discussion~ the APPLICATION of Roy's moves. MookieRah had a nice discussion going about what Roy might be able to do. I wanna know what he currently can do.

Things I would like from this thread:
  • At least semi-intellectual posts. Please nothing like "Roy sucks". He's bad. We get it.
  • No johning about how crappy his MUs are
  • A description of certain moves you really like and how you apply it
  • A description of some moves you really hate and why you don't apply it
  • And, for now, let's avoid talking about the omni-tools of Side-B and Dtilt. The utility of those has been literally drilled in at this point.
  • At THE END of you post, if you feel you disagree with someone, list your reasons at the very bottom. Of everything. Not in your move descriptions. Cause that'd get messy.
Format (Just copy paste this to your post for added convenience! :estatic:) :

*Note, you don't have to cover EVERY SINGLE MOVE. just the ones you feel up to. Feel free to erase those you don't wish to cover.

Tilt Moves & Jab:
  • Jab-
  • Utilt-
  • FTilt-
Smash attacks!:
  • USmash-
  • FSmash-
  • DSmash-
Aerials:
  • Nair-
  • Uair-
  • Bair-
  • Fair-
  • Dair-
Speshuls! :awesome::
  • Flare Blade-
  • Blazer-
  • Counter-
Grabs:
  • Pummel-
  • UThrow-
  • BThrow-
  • FThrow-
  • DThrow-
Advanced:
  • Reverse Neutral B-
  • Reverse Blazer-
  • Dash Dance-
  • Wavedash-
  • Waveland-
  • Shield Dropping-

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Tilt Moves & Jab:
  • Jab- I actually like to throw this out every now and again. Mostly on an airborne opponent as interrupt.
  • Utilt- It goes under most plats that aren't DL64. Started using it and am not too disappointed at the results. It doesn't have huge knockback, but it does have knockback. My main problem with this move, though, it the tip of the sword is actually not in the hitbox. That's... stupid. But then again, seeing the 1% sourspots on other moves make me a little less annoyed with that
  • FTilt- Same as utilt, I also use this for edgeguarding to set up for a Flare Blade, or against airborne opponents for spacing if they have slow aerials.
Smash attacks!:
  • USmash- I don't like this move very much. It's, frankly, too telegraphed to pull off under a plat. However, it's also convenient if you want to send your opponent in an odd direction. Consistency is it's main issue for me, however.
  • DSmash- This move isn't talked about too much. It's not hyper amazing, but if you got most your kills fsmashing, throwing this move out can catch an opponent off guard.
Aerials:
  • Nair- A lot of people in another thread were going on about how this is their 'favorite Roy Aerial'. I'm in that bandwagon now. It has hitbox behind Roy, which is kinda nice, and the most knockback of his air moves.
  • Uair- I actually don't mind this move. It's my only decent harass under plat in DL64 (I hate that stage as Roy. =.=)
  • Fair- Competes with Nair for Roy's best Aerial. It is one of the few moves in his kit that can combo.
  • Dair- My most hated Roy aerial. It's the laggiest, most awkward move for him, imo. The sweetspot also feels too risky.
Speshuls! :awesome::
  • Flare Blade- <3 this move. It's my bread and butter edgeguard. I even found a way to bounce off the ledge with it for immediate ledgegrab afterwards.
  • Blazer- 1HKO Jiggs. lol.
  • Counter- An underrated, but risky move. Heh, spacies and their Up Bs.
Grabs:
  • UThrow- I like the Chain grab. Floaties can DI too far for techchase though.
  • FThrow- I mix this with DThrow for tech chase
  • DThrow- I mix this with FThrow for tech chase
Advanced:
  • Reverse Neutral B- Can make an odd edgeguard option when someone is recovering from directly under the ledge.
  • Reverse Blazer- 1HKO Jiggs. Lol.
  • Shield Dropping- I wish Roy had better OoS options after using this. :(

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
Attacks
Tilt Moves & Jab:
• UTilt- I don't use it unless my opponent is in hitstun above me and a Uair wont keep them in air long enough to follow up. Its funny near the ledge to set up for an aerial.
• Sourspot DTilt- great when the opponent percent is high so you can use its low knockback for a, possibly grounded, followup.

Smashes:
• USmash- Roy's coolest smash attack.
• DSmash- it wont kill your heavyweights and fast fallers until they're near ~125%. Its a decent idea on platforms. See Nair
• Sourspot DSmash- it has horizontal knockback.

Aerials: great to ledge hop with all his aerials because of the low knockback.
• Nair- Personally I love using the first hit of this move really close to the ground and following up with a DTilt or grab (at high percents: single Nair>DSmash because they connect ).
• Dair- DTilt>Dair pillaring. If the opponent DI's away from the stage when you ledge hop Dair you may meteor them.

Grabs: I don't grab often unless I can get a guaranteed followup, chain, or if I can get them offstage.
• UThrow- Yoshi's shenanigans.

Advanced:
• Reverse Neutral B- wavedash off upper platforms and use this to edgeguard.
• Dash Dance/Wavedash/Waveland/Shield Dropping- movement is important for any character, Roy is fortunate to be pretty fast.

Recovery
• I tap out of the tumbling animation instead of jumping WHEN applicable... I like the option to use my double jump under the ledge.
• DED1 only gives you a lift once. IIRC under some circumstances it wont reset just by landing on the ground, so like Luigis DownB, I just throw it out there when I get back on the stage to reset it.
• Recovering high for a platform canceled blazer.

Other
Roy has a low running animation...

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Tossing in my 2cents...

Tilt Moves & Jab:

Jab- At high percentages, it can cause them to get knocked towards the ground, allowing for a tech chase. I find it useful to use when wavelanding onto the stage as a safe-ish recovery option or to pivot/turnaround jab to catch people off guard.
Utilt- If i'm approaching with a fair and I already see the shield>shield grab scenario playing out soo, I'll try to move as far away as I can, fast fall, then go with a turn around uptilt to get out of their grab range and if they get hit, try to continue into a quick combo.
FTilt- Faster alternative to an FSmash for edgeguarding if they're recovering faster than you expected. I mix it up with the jab when wavelanding back onto the stage to recover.
*DTilt-I just want to say that it's easily crouchcancelled/teched at low %s if the person knows the matchup even vaguely, similar to how Falcon's Raptor Boost can be teched.

Smash attacks:
USmash- I find it useful to use if someone's coming above me, the disjoited hitboxes help out a lot in cancelling aerial approaches from characters coming from straight above you.
FSmash- Pivot FSmashes are your friend after a good dash dance +wavedash approach/retreat. Useful to throw when baiting someone to approach you.
DSmash- Double Scoop. A good kill move if your opponent is at high % and you're at a low %. Relatively easy to CC into it. I'd have to look into how it works as an edgeguard.

Aerials:
Nair- Good to approach if mixed in with other moves. Good to get onto platforms with. Mixing up getting only the 1st and getting both hits in is a solid option to work with
Uair- I use it to get onto lower platforms like those on Fountain of Dreams or Battlefield or even Stadium at times. It can lead to some kind of platform game if it connects on your opponent and they land on the platform.
Bair- I'll use it when moving away from my opponent since the move is out for so long. Sometimes I'll use it for edgeguarding by having them fly away just a little bit and prep for a FSmash or other kill move from there.
Fair- Full jump double FAir, this with DED mixed together is an interesting approach. I'll use it while fulljumping and retreating onto a platform sometimes.
Dair- DTilt >DAir is solid. If I DTilt them under a platform and get the DAir when they're above it and get the sweetspot, I can catch their roll/tech inplace with a grab or an FSmash. If they getup attack, Grab. If I'm on the ledge and they're recovering from the bottom, it's not too hard to get the meteor smash on them while you ledgehop DAir back onto the stage. Very small window to do so though. If you wait longer, you can ledgehop DAir without getting the meteor smash and go into a FSmash as they'll be lifted up a bit.

Specials:
Flare Blade- Double Full Jump Flare Blade, interesting edgeguard option, it's long range is also a good way to reach characters who are trying to camp you out or just barely knick you.
Blazer- It's underestimated recovery in my opinion. Having a more noticeable angle change that Marth's recovery makes up for his fast fall speed I think. You have a lot of places to recover from compared to Marth. If my opponent isn't already on the edge, I can pull out a horizontal blazer and catch my opponent as they're jumping or wavedashing towards the ledge. Being able to have either a vertical Blazer or a horizontal one helps when I'm trying to get 'onto' the stage rather than grab the ledge, especially if they're already on it. Mix in another DED or go straight to the 2nd DED chain will cause me to sink faster so I can mix up when I actually use the Blazer.
Counter- Mix it up with a short hop DED, Full jump into a fair then fast fall into a Counter. I replace a move I usually approach with or defend with as a counter sometimes. Edgeguarding tool. Needs to be used more often/better.
DED- I don't know if anyone else does this, but if a character is at high enough %, I can short hop DED, wait it out, and before landing toss out a FAir to be like Marth and his short hop double FAirs., I feel that I've never seen this and felt it was something new enough to point out.

Grabs:
Pummel- No Comment other than it's not as great as Marth's. I'll pump it out at higher %'s, and maybe once past 15% maybe.
UThrow- Kill move at high %'s. No one expects you to go for a grab>Uthrow and then die. Good as a kill move if you've gone past that % where you can't DTilt>FSmash or any other two hit move. Spacies, I can chaingrab like Marth too!
For B,F, and D, nothing notably different from everyone else.

Advanced:
Reverse Neutral B- Edge drop with it as an edgeguard.
Wavedash- I'll wavedash/dash dance towards me opponent, stay crouched for a bit then turn around UTilt. A really nice and low wavedash and dash.
Waveland- Fast and smooth, useful if you're crouching while wavelanding as well to dodge out any attacks above you.

Top Bottom