• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROY's B-Moves

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Hello all, I went to a locals recently and played a fellow ROY player. This guy seemed to be a step above everybody else. When I played him he used DED VERY MUCH over other options, such as aerials. Because he was so good compared to my Roy, my question is how much of Roy's game is dependent on his DED? I personally don't like using it that much, should I though?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Hello all, I went to a locals recently and played a fellow ROY player. This guy seemed to be a step above everybody else. When I played him he used DED VERY MUCH over other options, such as aerials. Because he was so good compared to my Roy, my question is how much of Roy's game is dependent on his DED? I personally don't like using it that much, should I though?
You shouldn't depend on it, but it is an extremely useful tool.

It combos very effectively, can pressure nicely if you space it properly, it'll kill off the top or off the sides when combo'd, it has great mixups with the different hits and the turnaround, it can break shields against unwary opponents with options like xxvv, it's a good anti-air, etc etc

But it is not a good substitute for Roy's aerials or his dtilt. Combos using aerials and dtilts are more reliable than DED combos and can be extended farther. DED is a great move and there is a ton of reward for connecting it properly, but it still loses to CC, can be shieldgrabbed, and can easily cause you to overcommit.

DED is easy to overuse against opponents who don't know how to deal with it, because it is very effective at both racking up damage and killing. But opponents that adapt properly to spamming a move will be able to start punishing you for it. Use it smart and effective, and it's a fantastic part of Roy's kit, but Roy's bread and butter are still dtilt and combo aerials.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Its primary use is for a frame trap. For example, you will see better Roys like Sethlon and Lunchables do a fthrow, cover the tech-in-place option with a drilt, and if the person rolls behind, use the IASA of dtilt to throw out an instant Side-B.

Binary basically covered all the information you need to know about this move...

But if you want to get fancy, learn to do a grounded side-B OoS. It's a one-frame trick, but it's definitely a strong option in certain situations.

Top Bottom