• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu input questions

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Hey-o! I am a Ryu main and trying to become more competitive with my combos and techniques. I have had a few questions about more complicated input commands and techniques for quite some time, so I thought I would come here! I am new to the smashboards and also forums in general, so please bare with me! And if anyone would help me out that is a Ryu main or very into him, that would be awesome.

First question: How do you perform a reverse Shoryuken? I have seen many Ryus perform this command where they instantly turn around with the Shoryuken. I would love if someone can explain how this is done.

Second question: this is a bit more complicated question, but how can you perform the fire hadoken into more string/combo attacks. I have seen the mighty Trela and many other Ryus perform a string where they say for example do
Light down tilt > Heavy down tilt >
Fire hadoken. How do you do the fire hadoken simply? When I try to perform this combo, when I get to the fire hadoken part, I tend to roll the stick quarter circle back then forward for the command. But when I do this I believe the "Negative edge" effect (hope I'm right) from the heavy down tilt makes me instead do the truetatsu. I have toyed with this for a long time and I am able to just hold the button and use the "Negative edge" for the fire hadoken, but that's not what I want, I want the faster one from holding. I hope I am making sense and someone can point this out to me how the pros perform these strings with the red hadoken.

Third question: This one is simple enough, any Ryu mains out there, what do you have your controls set to? I use GameCube and the Wii U pro controller just so we can relate. I would love to hear what most of you have your buttons set to and what setup is the most efficient.

That's pretty much it. Thank you and hopefully someone can help me out!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Reverse Shoryuken:

Do the standard shoryuken input + A, then immediately after pressing 'A' flick the control stick in the opposite direction Ryu is facing. ITs basically B reversing but with a shoryuken input.

Controller type question: I sometimes have the C-stick set to attack so I can do light up tilts while moving forward.

Last edited:

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
To do negative edge shakunetsu dont slide back, just hold down A for hard dtilt and let your stick go to neutral for a split second then do back, and half circle forward and let go. and if you want it to go faster out of negative edge, when you let go of A to enter the command, immediately press A down again. Same applies when trying to do the longer tatsu for the combos out of hard dtilt.

As far as controls, i use a GC.
Default controls except:
No tap jump
No A+B Smash
No rumble
C-stick: Attack
Z: Jump
X: Grab

I mainly use Y to jump but the Z jump is there in case i want to be able to easily do full hop focus attack when trying to reach a platform or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom