• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Triple Jump

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Nice find, i read that you could only perform this out of Bair? I'd probably find this more so a defensive tactic, seeing that Bair is rather sluggish compared to her other aerials.
First i've seen of it, so good stuff Omega =)

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I tested it with her other aerials, unless they have extremely strict timing, bair was the only thing that worked.
I could be a good option against more aerial charcters if you don't want to zair. Most of the time, they will jump into the air expecting you to land and you can bair them using this technique, possibly even getting the kill.

Lol thanks

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this has been discovered and nearly every character can do this.

She can do this with uair nair and bair. It was actually mentioned a while ago, but not in a whole thread.

Luxor

Smash Champion
She can do this with uair nair and bair. It was actually mentioned a while ago, but not in a whole thread.
I believe there has been at least one thread in Tactical detailing all the aerials every character can ISJR with. That's this techs name btw if you've never heard of it, guys: Infinite Second Jump Renewal. Bowser's SideB is the most common example, but I've seen a sweet video of Snake Bairing all over BF with it.

Edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119&highlight=isjr
Samus:
Nair - Yes
Fair - Yes
Dair - Yes
Bair - Yes
Uair - Yes

^Well there you go ^^.

Also I was referring to a thread in the Samus boards, not tactical, but thanks ^^.

Luxor

Smash Champion
It's kind of funny. This thread lead me to that thread lead me to deciding to do a whole ISJR mini-project for Smash Lab. There's not really much to do but figure out what frame window you have to DJ, though.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
can this thread be closed? the infinite jump has already been discovered in 2008

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Last word (because there won't be much to add afterwards.)

Analysis: All this tech does is make Samus seem less punishable to the opponent by virtually having no landing lag. However, I've had this argument with LP earlier (and he scrubbishly attempted to deny it (sigh, no flaming, right....))

Nearly every character is more vulnerable in the air than on the ground (Jigglypuff and Wario are exceptions to the rule.) Samus is one of those characters. Add onto it her lack of *disjointed moves* and this tech's viability is extremely limited. Landing lag or not, there are still start-up frames to all her moves and any character with higher priority in the air or high ground mobility can punish her aerial movement. Example: Both MK Marth has both of these elements. Hence why it's two of the few of her MUs where she's limited to ground movement and perfect shielding at mid range.

*I'd like to mention how none of you mentioned utilizing z-air with this tech. Old tech is old and one of you should have said such. It's her longest horizontal aerial, disjointed and can be used facing the opponent. I'm disappointed.*

Application: Only viable aerials to cancel ending lag would be b-air and z-air. In other words, her longest ones. From there you can cancel into FH aerials/double MCs or SH aerials/single MC/bombs. Rhyme would use to z-air>SJR>retreating f-air.

Conclusion: It's good in theory, not in practice. Other than z-air spamming, the other clear mistake I see in other Samus gameplay is attempting to follow-up in the air. If you overcommit, you end up reversing the scenario. They hit the ground before you and your slow fall speed puts you into a juggling situation. This can be mitigated by using her naturally good horizontal momentum, throwing out aerials (you can pull out two aerials in one SH (if you start with b-air/n-air/u-air)) since moving horizontally also extends the time she spends in the air. Or use bombs.

Regardless, learn not to overcommit. Again, another thread where the fact that Samus is safer on the ground applies yet again. For follow-ups and execution, SH u-airs or retreating f-airs (since you can FF them if they air dodge and punish landing lag), MCs and general baiting into ground moves are always better than committing to full hops. Samus doesn't have frame traps on her aerials in the air. You can't pull a Falco and b-air->d-air, or D3's f-air->b-air, or MK's double u-air, etc. Just stick to low air and ground movement, learn how to space tilts, jab cancel, land grabs and perfect shield and your brickwall will improve dramatically.

This tech is advocating prolonged movement in the air to utilize it. Unnecessary and only viable at long distances (such as stringing together a falling z-air into a FH double MC. Personal favorite.) Improving her strengths isn't going to improve her metagame as much as hiding and lessening her weaknesses will.

If there's anything left to add, go for it. The significance of this topic has faltered by now.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
^^^^
Lmao, pretty lengthy explain, may i add:

It is pretty useful on getting KOs with Bair on places like BF. It can pressure shields well if we can land repetetive sweetspots, but it's still a poor option compared to Uair. It could really help against the larger cast, and defenestration with this would become much too easy if you're spacing it right.
Note the this could only work if your opponent has a laughable OoS option, like Ganondorf's Dive, or they just really suck at manuvering.

Luxor

Smash Champion
I can see falling --> SJR Bair --> escape being a pretty good mixup, if you could do it consistently. Doing the Infinite part of ISJR is useless in a real match, but one iteration could have interesting uses.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this techinique could have thir uses after all, i mean, this give Samus a new jump, perfect to do another zair or shot a missile

i am not saying than this AT is a very good move or something like that, but isnt a bad idea forget this trick

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Let me ask you guys something. The fact that using a bair can refresh Samus's second jump, has there been a consistent method discovered by anyone else that ALWAYS makes the bair refresh her second jump? The fact that it does may have already been known, but what about the method in my video because that ALWAYS works.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I believe what he found, was a formula, which lets you ISJR with a 100% success-rate,
using the buffering-system.

Top Bottom