• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Tournament Results and Discussion

sheikamaru

jive
LOLOLOLOL

and no just houston olis,

sync and asa

both were 2 -0 :(

you guys ever had a wii freeze on you when you had a lead? it did to me against asa and my momentum was thrown off.... it was last stock and everything i had oli at like 110% and i was at 30 then.. wii freezes T-T

denti refused to come because of the ridiculous rule set the tourney had lol

Dcold

Smash Lord
No but I've had a TV with ridiculous delay that made me die at 30 on Frigate on a flip, and made my opponent die at 140, completely evening the game. :l

Was the final straw.

zApollo

Smash Ace
I placed 5th at an Aus major over last weekend. I beat their top Wario with Sheik but lost to a Diddy and Marth.

How does sheik beat Marth, I was wrecked =(

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Great job Apollo!! Any vids?!

Also, Marth is tough because you have to navigate his range and stay inside of him, also while being aware of Dolphin Slash. Throw lots of needles and don't try to extend strings too much. Basically take what you can get and then back to needles. As far as gimping, he does that to us very well. We can to him too but with a little more risk so it's up to you there.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Great job Apollo!! Any vids?!
The replays were saved on someone's wii, I just gotta wait for them to get around uploading it. Basically I followed the advice you guys gave in the wario mu following my last tourney against Tedeth. Instead of jumping around I walked/dash danced and poked with tilts until I saw a read. I found that conditioning the wario to do short hop approaches/airdodges by staying grounded most of the match worked very well as sheik's pivot grab beats all of his approaches and covers his crossovers. I was nearly wafted out of it at one point (was saved by messing up the pivot lol) so it became too obvious towards the end. I felt it was too unsafe to challenge wario head-on with f-air and b-air, but n-air OoS was effective.

Also, Marth is tough because you have to navigate his range and stay inside of him, also while being aware of Dolphin Slash. Throw lots of needles and don't try to extend strings too much. Basically take what you can get and then back to needles. As far as gimping, he does that to us very well. We can to him too but with a little more risk so it's up to you there.
Really good point, in hindsight I tried too hard to link strings when I should've known not to take the risk and completely lost momentum because of it. Most of my stocks were taken by gimps, which sucks. Needle turnaround when recovering never seemed to help as marth still beats b-air walling. I was too nervous to recover from far below cross-style because of dolphin slash.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea I think Marth is a solid disadvantage.

Good stuff scary. You beat Ryo?

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master
After months of me telling him how to, he finally did!

Then lost in LF.

Next up, teaching him how to deal w/ jab.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Do we really want to keep this thread around? If yes I'll overhaul the OP to track results, if not I can close this and we'll just report results to social.

Then why are those results interesting to the sheik boards?

Becase reflex is beating people with sheik? I mean yeah, he's a beast. But it would be a lot more interesting to see results where reflex beat someone with sheik that he couldn't beat with any character of his choosing

C.J.

Smash Master
Oh hey, it's the most unproductive and pessimistic Sheik player being cynical again. Who woulda guessed it.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I just thought the Sheiks would be interested to know that two out of the top three were Sheik players, Reflex is picking up Sheik for use in tournament, and Billy isn't dead.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've actually been using Sheik seriously on and off for years; I think she's one of my best characters. She's really fun, and I think she's better than most people give her credit for. Also, I feel much more at home with characters that excel in the air, so this is a nice change of pace that allows me to expand my game knowledge in general.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think her excellent walk speed and more-than-adequate ground coverage (via tilts, Dash Attack, and Neutral-B) allow her to go toe-to-toe with almost any adversary reasonably well. She (more than most) gives people a reason to shield, which can be used to throw people off of their rhythm and to get in in general.

Her quick aerials and fast falling speed also allow her to provide rather strong pressure on an opponent who is above you. She's so good at forcing mostly-safe 50/50 (or so) situations that I think she does excellently in almost any situation where she has created the advantage, while neutral position potentially lets her hold that power with smart use of the ground you have to move around.

I don't think KO'ing is an especially large problem for her because she's excellent at racking up damage AND above-average at setting the pace for spacing. She's not good at getting out of bad positions, but she's not helpless, either.

Top Bottom