• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's downsmash is still amazing

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
i just wish she still coulda been a powerhouse in Brawl. I mean, now, it looks like Sheik's not that great......

every vid on the net that has Sheik in it, she's lost :(

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
WRONG... I've been playing the game, and her downsmash is no onger amazing.... in fact, it's easily her weakest smash attack.

@pokec: sheik isn't bad at all.... just not better than zelda

Drephen

Smash Master
WRONG... I've been playing the game, and her downsmash is no onger amazing.... in fact, it's easily her weakest smash attack.

@pokec: sheik isn't bad at all.... just not better than zelda
you are wrong good sir

forward smash is a little better but still sucks

up smash kills like any other up smash, nothing special (anyone know if she still has a tipper on this move?)

downsmash still kick ***, has great knockback and can still kill people off the stage. Plus it send them more horizontal and not vertical.

all of sheik's aerials sucks now =(

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Up Smash still has its sweetspot tipper hit, yes.

Also, don't expect to spam Dsmash and have it do anything except build damage. You can't spam any move to build damage and have it KO in this game due to the new mechnanics on move decay. And Sheik's attacks are weak enough already.

Drephen

Smash Master
Up Smash still has its sweetspot tipper hit, yes.

Also, don't expect to spam Dsmash and have it do anything except build damage. You can't spam any move to build damage and have it KO in this game due to the new mechnanics on move decay. And Sheik's attacks are weak enough already.
oh i'll find a way trust me

Micahc

Smash Ace
So wait, Drephen can't spam the downsmash anymore? Eh, chances are he's just gonna find some other move he can spam like no other...

D1

Banned via Administration
I dunno but it feels like now Sheik's usmash is always a tipper hit no matter where you hit. I was using her last night vs. Dave and easily landed a killer usmash from the side. Usually he wouldn't fly that high if I hit him from the western/eastern most parts of the usmash...but now its relatively easily to just kill w/ that move.

I guess w/ Shiek's nerfs came some well deserved buffs.

Let the games begin! Sheik's still beast!

Btw Ryoko...I spam the HELL outta ftilt regardless of the new discovery...not to discredit you or anything...but its fun when you just ftilt your opponent over and over and they can't DI anywhere LMAO.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Btw Ryoko...I spam the HELL outta ftilt regardless of the new discovery...not to discredit you or anything...but its fun when you just ftilt your opponent over and over and they can't DI anywhere LMAO.
Sheik's ftilt is an example of a move that you typically want to decay. Not only will it make ftilt easier to follow up with, but using it will build back the power of your other moves. Losing knockback on Sheik's ftilt is like losing a penny out of $5. And then getting another $1 back in the process. Same thing with Peach's Dsmash, and grab attacks.

-And yes, Fox's and Falco's Lasers, if you were curious. :urg:

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
use sheik dsmash when your high and trying to sweet spot someone that usually works. or edge hog and lsmash them when they are trying to recover.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
yeah lol

someone try to figure out throw combos, im slowly figuring them out
All I've managed with her throws so far is d-throw -> ftilt spam at low perrcentages and then d-throw -> some aerial attack at higher percentages. The new sheik will take some adjusting (no needling canceling for me... there went the majority of my sheik game) but I like her most out of all the characters I've tried so far.

By the way, d-smash is still amazing.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
yeah lol

someone try to figure out throw combos, im slowly figuring them out
You must be the luckiest guy on earth then, cause don't you place high at like every huge event you attend? Heh, that's why I asked if it was a joke, because it sounded hard to believe.

I got to play brawl for the first time yesterday, and only got to use Sheik once, because the place was very crowded and I wanted to try out at many characters as I could. Needles are like really bad now from the look of it, unless there is some special way to cancel them that nobody has figured out yet. They could still be used to edgeguard or thrown at slow chars without projectiles, but they certainly aren't as good as they used to be. Sheik can still combo a little, but her tilts seem to send characters a bit further out of range even on the first hit, so they don't combo into one another except at low damages (at least, it seems that way). For some reason, Sheik's up-b does more damage. I up-b'd a Metaknight at 60 and killed them which was pretty strange. Upair is still good, downsmash is still good, and fair is still good, which is pretty helpful. I never got enough grabs in to see if they still combo well, but if they do, than sheik will likely remain good (although the projectile game vs marth and other nonprojectile users won't work too well anymore!)

I always used a lot of Sheik, even though I never really mained her, but chances are I'll use Sheik for brawl at least some of the time. Maybe I should actually pick a main or two this time around though lol.

On an entirely irrelevant note, has anyone else noticed that almost all Sheik users play a good Luigi? Maybe it's a rule of thumb, even though the characters styles are nothing alike. I wonder if it will hold true in brawl too...

Edit-The decaying process that Ryoko mentioned also sounds like fun. I didn't even notice it because I only played a few teams matches, but it would obviously be incredible for combo potential. I'm assuming the moves decay only if you hit with them? If not, it would be amazing to spam the ftilt away from your opponent at high damages and then use it to combo into any ko move or at low damages you could follow it up with numerous possibilities after your opponent finally DI's out of it.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
On an entirely irrelevant note, has anyone else noticed that almost all Sheik users play a good Luigi? Maybe it's a rule of thumb, even though the characters styles are nothing alike. I wonder if it will hold true in brawl too...
Sheik is the easiest character in the game to learn, Luigi is the easiest Low tier to learn. Oddly enough...I play Sheik and singles...and Luigi in low tier >_>

Mystery solved. >_>

Drephen

Smash Master
so i played a lot of shiek yesterday found out a few things.

1.) Sheik's shield grab is pretty much the same. Its easy to do and you can get it off often. The only problem is that there is hardly and throw combos. I can do down throw---->fair at 0% to heavier characters but thats about it. The best thing ive come up with is that you try to make them use their 2nd jump and take advantage of them that way.

2.) Shiek kill moves. Upsmash, downsmash, up air and back air are the only moves i can consistenly kill with. Every other move (including the fair) sucks at KO'ing people. Upsmash is weird too because unless its a tipper it KO's from the side. Back air is still strong if you get the tipper of the foot. Up air can somtimes kill too but its much weaker than melee. Most of the kills i get are from smash attacks or sometimes gay'ing people from off the ledge (this is really hard to do because of auto sweet spoting) And downsmash................i mean come on its too good.

3.) Needles suck balls. I mean i can see people getting better with them but if you didnt know when you press B you automatically start charging needles (you dont have to hold the B button). But this comes a problem cause you have to press B twice just to fire one needle and it becomes a lot slower and a lot more tedious. ALSO, there is still needle turn around, needle canceling, and the double explosion thingy off the ledge.

4.) Shiek's recovery sucks balls. Her up b seems to go a little less than it did in melee. Also, you cannot up b down and diagonally to the ledge, you'll miss and suicide everytime. But there is a plus side. THERE IS NO MORE LAG WHEN LANDING ON THE STAGE!!!!!!! Thats right, feel free to just up b onto the stage cause theres no lag and you can shield, jump, etc when you land. Dont change to zelda to recover either. The transformation sequence from zelda to shiek takes like 5 secs to do, and by that time you are already at the bottom of the stage. Plus zelda's up b isnt that great anyway (think it is also a little less than melee).

5.) Shiek's down air sucks balls. Its wayyyyyyyyy too predictable and you'll get ***** for it., Only thing i see it being good for is when you are high above the stage and want to get down fast for whatever reason.

6.)F-Tilt is BROKEN Haven't tried it on all the characters but the heavier ones you can spam f-tilt for like 70%. Dunno why they cant DI outta it but just keep doing f-tilts and you'll win lol.

Thats about it for now. I'll try to find out more stuff. Dunno if i'll main shiek in this game. Luigi is looking to be too good =)

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
so...overall, is sheik a crappy player in brawl? cuz..sheiks ALWAYS been my favourite...and I REALLY dont want her to suck hard in Brawl.

as long as she's somewhat playable....then.......maybe ill be happy.

and a question: does she have good combo ability? or no.

Drephen

Smash Master
no shes not bad at all, just dont think she is one of the best anymore.

and i dont think anyone has good combo ability in brawl lol. Only character i found i can do combo somewhat consistently is marth. But yeah hardly any consistent combos especially with the whole knockback decreasing thing.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
thank god.

from the sound of others here, they made it seem like Sheik had lost all hope as a character.

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
LOL!...Drepehn pwns all lol so gay...i mean cmon i mean i'm gay n he still is to gay

S2

Smash Lord
Given that WDing is gone, I expect a good number of players to go back to rolling.

D-smashing people out of rolls will still be awesome, so I'm using my d-smash as a damage builder.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Drephen, did you notice that Sheik's needle-cancel is super quick now?
I don't know if that helps anything, but I was trying to get it to the frame and it's like... whoa, hardly see her charging it.
I really don't know why Melee techniques would be helpful in Brawl, like needle-turnabout to B-air when you can just turn in mid-dash and kick. I was having such fun doing a needle-cancel edgehog (with no jump, just falling from a dash over the side and edge-hogging) and that's obsolete because you can just hug now.
I played a lot of Sheik in Melee because she was so cool. And on the plus side, her black outfit is the coolest outfit in the game! So, I'll play her just for that.

But... yeah, I rarely use her Down Smash... I have to say, it's not that amazing at all >_>

Drephen, did you notice that Sheik's needle-cancel is super quick now?
I don't know if that helps anything, but I was trying to get it to the frame and it's like... whoa, hardly see her charging it.
I really don't know why Melee techniques would be helpful in Brawl, like needle-turnabout to B-air when you can just turn in mid-dash and kick. I was having such fun doing a needle-cancel edgehog (with no jump, just falling from a dash over the side and edge-hogging) and that's obsolete because you can just hug now.
I played a lot of Sheik in Melee because she was so cool. And on the plus side, her black outfit is the coolest outfit in the game! So, I'll play her just for that.

But... yeah, I rarely use her Down Smash... I have to say, it's not that amazing at all >_>
The DSF combo is amazing, though.

20 tilts > Whataver.

maximuspita

Smash Ace
Sheik is far from nerfed. The f-tilt is too good. Her tether recovery is too good. Her d-smash is still good. Instead of using f-air, her N-air has more knockback.

My friend and I have been studying the new sheik in brawl and she is amazing. You can do so many things with the tether that it's ridiculous.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Sheik is far from nerfed. The f-tilt is too good. Her tether recovery is too good. Her d-smash is still good. Instead of using f-air, her N-air has more knockback.

My friend and I have been studying the new sheik in brawl and she is amazing. You can do so many things with the tether that it's ridiculous.
For serious? If you could post some vids of Sheiks tether, I would have to dedicate my child after you.

Top Bottom