• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hop Air Dodge (SHAD)

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Hey Olimar boards! I introduced myself a while ago and I've been working hard on my olimar.

One thing that I have brought over from my Samus game is SHAD. I did a quick search of the boards and you guys don't seem to talk about it. This is presumably because Olimar doesn't have a trash roll (although it is more punishable than say Sheik's).

Olimar has a fairly long short hop, allowing Olimar to air dodge and still throw out an aerial attack before landing. I have found this is a very powerful tool for Olimar. While you don't get to autocancel a SHAD attack and this leaves you open for more punishes, I still think it's pretty useful. Notably for Olimar, ALL aerial attacks are SHAD usable.

SHAD nair gives 1 soft hit, or if you are frame perfect, a second guaranteed to be frame canceled soft hit with all the follow up options of the soft hits of nair. Bair is nice although it has pretty strict timing because you only have a 2 frame window. The great thing about it is that it is a kill move with a purp. Really great for going through a dash attack and punishing. SHAD fair is OK but it doesn't really follow into anything or kill, but has pretty lenient timing. SHAD dair leaves you with lots of landing lag so it's not particularly good, same with SHAD uair.

Have you guys used it much? I'll try to upload a video of me using it in a game to show you what I'm talking about.

Let me know if I'm just retreading stuff you guys already know or if you know a good reason I shouldn't be using SHAD with Olimar.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Actually this is a very good tactic, I use it a quite time ago, but I haven't seen someone else using it.
It is good because Bair has more knockback than Fair, but it has to be done like a bait or conditioning your enemy.

I talked about this topic too on the competitive thread I think so. By the way, you talked about Dair, to know that you can land with no lag if you land when Olimar recover from the Upside down stance. It is a great tool like a SHAD when they approach or recovering from the ledge.

I use Marth as a secondary and I picked that too from him (SHAD), really really helpful.

Thank you for posting this anyway :D and keep working on your Olimar. Keep coming back when you have something else you want to share :).

1st Edit: I was wrong, I talk about this here.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Actually this is a very good tactic, I use it a quite time ago, but I haven't seen someone else using it.
It is good because Bair has more knockback than Fair, but it has to be done like a bait or conditioning your enemy.

I talked about this topic too on the competitive thread I think so. By the way, you talked about Dair, to know that you can land with no lag if you land when Olimar recover from the Upside down stance. It is a great tool like a SHAD when they approach or recovering from the ledge.

I use Marth as a secondary and I picked that too from him (SHAD), really really helpful.

Thank you for posting this anyway :D and keep working on your Olimar. Keep coming back when you have something else you want to share :).

1st Edit: I was wrong, I talk about this here.
Thanks for the response. I was hoping someone else was already using it. It really is one of my favorite things to do with purples. Olimar can change direction pretty fast so you can also empty jump from the SHAD and go for a grab. Particularly when I have a red to purple. The bair is still threatening and the red dthrow to purple up air combo/string is just great.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Thanks for the response. I was hoping someone else was already using it. It really is one of my favorite things to do with purples. Olimar can change direction pretty fast so you can also empty jump from the SHAD and go for a grab. Particularly when I have a red to purple. The bair is still threatening and the red dthrow to purple up air combo/string is just great.
I'm sorry for taking so long to answer, but I swore I answered this, time ago xD.

Now that you mention the empty jump, can be used to bait your opponent. Just a empty jump and wait for his approach to Fsmash his face or a combo-grab.

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
I'll definitely have to try this out some more. I've done it a good handful of times offensively, but I've never tried using it to bait my opponents.

Muy interesante.

Top Bottom