• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle IV - November 9th, 2013 - Columbus, OH

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Shuffle IV
OSU’s Premiere Smash Tourney Returns for Round 4!

Background
E-Sports Initiative (formerly OSI) is a nonprofit student organization that partners with companies in the digital media and e-sports industries. We equip entry-level talent with the skills, insight, and experiences that will help them launch their careers in the rapidly-maturing interactive media and video game development space, while connecting companies in the industry to this talent pool. As of fall 2013, E-Sports Initiative is focused on addressing the specific subset of STEM education that relates to the video game industry- computer science and engineering, data analytics, mathematics, and technical design and graphics. We aim to provide certification programs, unique insight into the industry, and networking and leadership development opportunities to future employees in the industry on a national scale through our network.

This will be ESI’s fourth major Smash tournament rebranded under the new, more concise name of Shuffle (inspired by SHFFLing in SSBM). In addition to having a large staff for the event, plenty of entrants, and a great venue, ESI also offers a dedicated stream for the event and has purchased 32 CRT TV's. That means if you bring a Wii/Brawl or Gamecube/Melee you can get your venue fee waived (if the setup is used for pool play) . There will be 2 TVs per pool as well as several TVs for freeplay available during the entire tournament. In addition, projector screens will be used so people can keep an eye on the bracket as it is updated. Finally, food and parking (only $5 for all day) is conveniently within and right next to the venue. There is a $5 discount on your venue fee if you bring a Gamecube/Melee and/or Wii/Brawl that is used.

Venue
Ohio State Student Union at the Ohio State University
1739 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210

The event will be held in the "Great Hall Meeting Room", room numbers 1101,1103, & 1105 on the first floor (same location as our previous tournaments). The room can hold upwards of 300 people and is 5,070 square feet.

Click here for parking information!

Schedule
November 9th, 2013
11:00 AM: Doors open - Registration for Brawl & Melee Singles and Doubles begins
12:00 PM Registration for Brawl & Melee Doubles Ends
12:30 PM: Brawl & Melee Doubles Begins
4:00 PM: Brawl & Melee Singles Pools Begins
Ideally the entire tournament and payout should be resolved by 10:00 PM, but this cannot be guaranteed.

Food
Food is available in the OSU Student Union and in the surrounding area. The Student Union features the following eating choices
Just outside the Union within 5 minutes walking distance is Chipotle, Jimmy Johns, Subway, Mark Pi's, Waffle House, Panera, Five Guys, several pizza places, and the best gyros in Columbus at Apollo’s.

Money
Venue Fee: $10 ($5 off if your setup for Wii/Brawl or Gamecube/Melee is used for the tournament). The venue fee includes entrance to the LAN that is taking place in the same area, in which we will have additional Smash setups, PC games, and other fighters to play in case you are knocked out/waiting.
Entrance fee for Singles (1v1): $10 per player
Entrance fee for Doubles (2v2): $10 per player ($20 per team)

If entering both singles and doubles, you will have to pay for both (i.e., Two $5 entrance fees plus $10 venue fee).

Singles Payout
1st place: 50% of respective entry fees
2nd place: 25% of respective entry fees
3rd place: 15% of respective entry fees
4th place: 10% of respective entry fees

Venue fees will be put towards charity. For more information, see the ESI website.

Doubles Payout
1st place: 50% of respective entry fees
2nd place: 25% of respective entry fees
3rd place: 15% of respective entry fees
4th place: 10% of respective entry fees

Venue fees will be put towards charity. For more information, see the ESI website.

Rules
General Gameplay Rules
Brawl Rules: The tournament will abide by the Apex 2014 Official Rules.
Melee Rules: The tournament will abide by the Apex 2014 Official Rules. The only change is that wobbling is NOT banned at Shuffle IV.

These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Operator (Sam Posa) reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

Note: ESI and its members, the Ohio State Student Union and its affiliates, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event, nor will they be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Tournament Structure
Doubles will be run with a double elimination bracket - no pools.
Singles will be run with pools followed by a double elimination bracket.

Pool ties will be broken as follows:
  • If set wins are tied between 2 (two) people, then whoever won the head to head match advances (or gets the higher seed)
  • If set wins are tied between 3 (three) people and it is an A > B > C > A scenario, then whoever has the better game record continues (wins - loses), if two people are tied in their game record then head to head is used between those two players.
  • If all three players are tied in sets and games then 1 stock 2 minute overtime will be played between each of the three players. Best of one. This continues until the tie is broken.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
This finally gets announced :p

Everyone should go. The TO is a good friend of mine and he has been working hard to plan this since a billion years ago! It's gonna be super fun and Ohio needs some good tournaments.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
so you're saying that if we win doubles again this time, we'll make more than $1.50 profit each, right

the only thing going toward shoes charity is the venue fee instead of venue fee + 50% of singles entry + 50% of doubles entry?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
This finally gets announced :p

Everyone should go. The TO is a good friend of mine and he has been working hard to plan this since a billion years ago! It's gonna be super fun and Ohio needs some good tournaments.
The TO is Avon right? He was pretty cool the times I saw him at ESI.
And on another note: PM please?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
The TO is Avon right? He was pretty cool the times I saw him at ESI.
And on another note: PM please?
Yep
Avion is running this one. He is sneaky and doesnt go on SWF lost his login info? but yeah this gon be fun

i messaged him directly, Drephen, so hoping to see some changes. hopefully big tournaments = big monies

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Sounds fun! I'll get a Michigan Carpool for this hopefully.

Also, I agree with the price increase
Also Also, the payout percentage should kinda change imo. There is no reason why 3rd/4th should be payed the same.
Also Also Also, that font color is horrendous and is unreadable on the Neo Blue Skin. I had to quote the OP so I could read better.

LOE1

Smash Lord
i'll be there...whether the rest of MI goes or not

Avion

Smash Apprentice
Yep
Avion is running this one. He is sneaky and doesnt go on SWF lost his login info? but yeah this gon be fun

i messaged him directly, Drephen, so hoping to see some changes. hopefully big tournaments = big monies
Yeah I did lose my account info funnily enough, just recovered it. Anyway I'm the TO of this whole thing. The event was posted under the ESI's account for publicity reasons but I'll be responding to any questions or requests under this account from now on.

I updated the pricing by the way - $10 per person per event, venue fee the same ($10). We may update the payout split due to 3rd/4th place each getting the same amount but that's not yet confirmed. As for Project M, it will probably be present at the venue LAN but I don't think we are doing a tournament for it due to time constraints. That could change if very significant interest is shown but as for now it's just Brawl/Melee Singles/Doubles. Anyway, please RSVP if you plan on coming and we hope to see you there!

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I really want to come to this, since it's one of the closest tourneys to my home in a while.

But I work on Saturdays...

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Everyone share! My buddy is trying hard to make this a success. I'll be sure to relay some information posted here and see what he thinks. I'll bring project M up, venue fee changes, as well as the charity portion. People seem to be sketchy about this and I want to clear any misconceptions. Please if anyone has more suggestions let us know! We're trying to get this down so we wont have issues in the future.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
To everyone having issues with the date due to work/Youmacon/et al, this is the only date we were able to book a room large enough to host the event. So while it may be an unfortunate date we can't do anything about it :/ At our last tourney though we were scheduled on the same day as a major Michigan tournament but still had 60+ entrants, so it should work out just fine.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Youmacon is the week before, so the only excuses i expect for that are monetary :<
cuz youma is gon be expensive TT__TT
i gotta buy so many prints to sell ;-----;

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'll still come to this regardless of Youmacon's hard hit on my wallet. Trips to Ohio for a weekend are usually $50-$70 so I'll be fine.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
+1 to increasing the entry for singles / doubles, +1 to not having 3rd / 4th pay out the same amount (15% / 10%, IMO), and +1 for a little accountability from OSI 2.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
For one, I am being completely civil. It's not my fault that this is the perception he has left to not only myself but other previous attendants of OSI/ESI Smash tournaments.

I'm not seeking for you to have bad publicity, I am seeking for answers because as you can tell, what has been presented to myself and others is that your organization is full of @*&#. If that's not the case, the onus is indeed on you to clear up any misunderstandings.

I think everything I asked was pretty reasonable, and civil.

Edit:

ESI receives operating funds through the university so I can assure you that the charity earnings from the tournament were not put towards the growth of the organization. I am fairly certain the money was placed in our charity funds bank account awaiting future use, as it takes a large amount of charity funds to really do anything meaningful and we don't make a substantial amount per tournament.

An underlying point of everything here is that there was no communication on anything. We were never presented numbers prior to the tournament, we were never presented numbers after the tournament. You need to have transparency if you want people to take you seriously. I'm really not concerned with less than $100 disappearing, I'm more concerned with something presenting itself as a charity and making certain claims then showing no evidence of the claims ever having been followed through.

I'm looking forward to some closure as well.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
For one, I am being completely civil. It's not my fault that this is the perception he has left to not only myself but other previous attendants of OSI/ESI Smash tournaments.

I'm not seeking for you to have bad publicity, I am seeking for answers because as you can tell, what has been presented to myself and others is that your organization is full of @*&#. If that's not the case, the onus is indeed on you to clear up any misunderstandings.

I think everything I asked was pretty reasonable, and civil.

Edit:

An underlying point of everything here is that there was no communication on anything. We were never presented numbers prior to the tournament, we were never presented numbers after the tournament. You need to have transparency if you want people to take you seriously. I'm really not concerned with less than $100 disappearing, I'm more concerned with something presenting itself as a charity and making certain claims then showing no evidence of the claims ever having been followed through.

I'm looking forward to some closure as well.
I apologize, you were being civil. It was not the right choice of word but I couldn't think of a better one at the time.

I got in touch with Ray. Specifically, the money from OSI's second tournament went towards a $1000 check to Nationwide Children's Hospital. You can find E-Sports Initiative listed on this page under the $1000 - $4999 donors section (just Ctrl+F "E-Sports Initiative"). We also have a $500 Women in E-Sports scholarship that money from subsequent tournaments is going into. For more information, you can see the press releases page of our website.

I hope that this clears up any misunderstandings. I apologize that there was no direct and immediate follow up as to where the money went after OSI's second tournament ended - that will not be the case for Shuffle IV. If you have any other questions or problems, I check this thread pretty frequently and will address them as quickly as I can. Thank you everyone for your understanding in this issue.

On a side note, due to community interest, the 3rd and 4th place payouts for both singles and doubles have been adjusted.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
By the way, since this will be post Youmacon, I might or might not bring extra merch from my AA table. (stickers, pins, prints)

If anyone is interested lemme know. hoping to at least make some smash stickers and maybe some pins
and prints
most likely of samus
because samus.

Rizner

Smash Ace
As for Project M, it will probably be present at the venue LAN but I don't think we are doing a tournament for it due to time constraints. That could change if very significant interest is shown but as for now it's just Brawl/Melee Singles/Doubles. Anyway, please RSVP if you plan on coming and we hope to see you there!

I would very much appreciate Project M being there.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
Haha I knew Ray being gone was gonna get misinterpreted. Graduating seniors can't be the leader of a club so he had to step down - Brett Hutton is now president.

Or maybe it was a conspiracy running much deeper than that...you'll never know.

Top Bottom