• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash History 2008-2010

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Top 10 moments from 2008 – 2010

Written by AlphaZealot

10. Ken gets 2nd at EVO (2008)
Ken for a long period dominated Melee, but was virtuously non-existent when Brawl was released. That was until EVO 2008 was announced, with items, and Ken decided to return just for that one event. He won EVO 2007, so as the defending champion it made sense that he would enter. We later found out his long hiatus prior to the event was due to him being a Survivor contestant, where he placed 5th. Ken managed to get 2nd place at EVO2k8, losing to CPU in the Grand Finals. If EVO served any real purpose, it was showing that Ken could compete in any ruleset, and that old debates can still haunt the Smash community.
EVO 2k8 Grand Finals - Ken versus CPU
Ken Survivor Profile

9. The MK Ban Debate (2008-20??)
Though at first many pinned Snake as the best character in the game, by the end of the summer of 2008 there would be a large movement in the community to ban Meta Knight. Over time this movement would manage to have many votes take place, and several times the majority believed Meta Knight should be banned. The debate has often been heated, and some still continue it today. Ultimately to curb Meta Knights effectiveness tournaments began implementing special rules for the character-edge grab limits, banned moves, and limited stage lists.

8. Brawl tournaments finish on time (2010)
Brawl nationals struggled to finish on time for more than a year after the release of the game. It seemed that nobody could figure out how to handle the situation. COT4 ran overtime and had to be finished at a different location. Then, Genesis, even with seasoned TO's running it, ran late and had to be finished back at the hotel. Finally in 2010 tournaments started to get it right. Pound 4 in January 2004 finished on time. Then both MLG events finished on time. Then Apex 2010 finished. TO's had finally adapted to running Brawl events.

7. Stats Galore (2007-2010)
Stat keeping in Melee was minimal at best. However, since Brawl's release the community has stepped up its statistics lists. Ankoku began his statistics on character placement in 2008, and to date has cataloged over 1,000 tournaments. Rajam starting his player ranking list, which requires brackets and pool results from tournaments for an accurate ranking system that includes every entrant at a tournament in its rankings. To date it has cataloged 372 tournaments and 4,023 unique entrants. On the Melee side of things Juggleguy released Melee in 2009: year in review (coming 2 years after I wrote the 2007 year in review). Finally in 2010 Macman started a character rankings list for Melee. Combined with the tournament tracking on AllisBrawl and the Smash community has transformed into the best data-tracking competitive community out there.
Official SWF Brawl Rankings
Brawl Character Rankings List
Melee in 2009: Year in review
Smash in 2007: Year in review
Melee Character Rankings List

6. Nick Riddle beats Ally at MLG Columbus (2010)
Going into MLG Columbus Ally and Mew2King were the clear favorites to place 1st and 2nd. Nick Riddle? Most gave him the benefit of the doubt that he could place in the top 16 again like he did at MLG Orlando. Of course, that was until Nick Riddle redefined how Zero Suit Samus is played. He not only beat Tyrant, the best west coast player, but then beat Ally, the 2nd best player in North America—back to back. It was scary the combo’s and reads he was pulling off.
MLG Columbus 2010 Game 1 - Nick Riddle versus Ally

5. ADHD wins Pound 4 (2010)
When Brawl was released Diddy was seen as a gimmicky, weak character. He was unpopular, most didn’t like to use him, and those that did constantly complained about how hard it was to use him. Ninja Link put Diddy in the spotlight with some new techs, then ADHD refined the characters play. Diddy from Brawl’s released leading up to the spring of 2010 went from the 21st most successful character to the 5th most successful character in the game. The dramatic improvement in the character of course leads to hope for many other character mains out there that chose not to flock to the top tiers early on.
Pound 4 Grand Finals Game 4 - Mew2King versus ADHD

4. Ally and Lain beat Mew2King at Apex (2009)
Mew2King barely ever lost when Brawl was released. In fact, he lost so infrequently that I can’t even think of a tournament he dropped between the summer of 2008 and the summer of 2009 (he did drop a set here and there). No one could match him, and he became the Ken of Brawl very quickly. That was, at least, until Apex 2009. Before the tournament started people believed that the Ice Climbers were an easy-to-counter character. That the Ice Climbers that existed had already pushed the character to its limits. Then Lain showed up and proved all the doubters wrong, becoming the first and only Ice Climber to beat Mew2King in the Brawl era. His play re-sparked the always present Ice Climber infinite debate, available in both Melee and Brawl communities. It wasn’t over yet though. Ally, who had done well earlier at COT4 but was ultimately crushed by Mew2King in the finals, came from Canada and stunned the Apex audience. His ability to survive to extreme percentages defined his play and he became the only force in the country to routinely give Mew2King fits (including a victory at Genesis just a few months later).
Apex 2009 Grand Finals - Ally versus Mew2King

3. MLG picks up Brawl (2010)
In early 2010 MLG announced it would be picking up Brawl for their Professional Circuit. This announcement came a year and a half after they acquired Smashboards from the previous owner Gideon. The pick up returned Smash to the MLG line up almost 4 years after it was dropped from the Pro Circuit after the 2006 season. The 2010 Pro Circuit will distribute over $70,000 to the winners of events with the final Event in Dallas offering the largest 1st prize ever for a Brawl tournament: $12,500.

2. Armada takes 2nd at Genesis (2009)
Melee had a very down year in 2008, as Brawl became incredibly popular and much of the scene gave the game a shot for many months. Slowly those who didn’t like the new game returned to Melee, but the community was not the same. Previous power house areas with tournaments every single weekend, like MD/VA, became desolate—now there are tournaments maybe once a month or two. However, all was not lost, as DBR announced Genesis for the summer of 2009. Suddenly the tournament became the go-to event for Melee players. The event became the largest Melee tournament to that date, with 292 entrants (just 3 less than Brawls 295). However, the story wasn’t so much how large the event was, but who was playing in the finals. Up to this point Americans had no reason to believe any other place in the world could compete with them. Armada changed everything. There was never a Peach in the US that played like Armada did. He had among the most exciting finals I have ever witnessed at a Smash event, and though he ultimately lost to Mango, he showed that Europe could compete. Armada would return for Pound 4, the largest Melee event in history with over 340 entrants, and would also show at Apex (220 entrants).
Amazing Armada Stitch Face Combo

1. Brood takes 2nd at Apex (2010)
Mew2King was heavily favored to win Apex 2010. Coming into the tournament he hadn't lost since January of 2010. Over 5 months, 20+ underground tournaments wins, and 2 MLG victories, he seemed almost invincable. On the other side of things people saw the Japanese and wondered how they would stack up. Most considered them contenders, but no one would be able to compete with Mew2King. It turned out no one saw Brood coming. Brood did at Apex what Armada did at Genesis by beating Ally and Mew2King at the same tournament. Brood proved that the international scenes can be just as strong as the American scene. He also showed America that it doesn't know what it's doing with Olimar. The finals for Apex would eventually get 2,000 viewers for the stream, the largest stream for a Smash tournament to date. While DEHF ultimately won the final showdown, the Japanese proved they could compete with Brood taking 2nd Place and Rain making Top 8.
Apex 2010 Losers Finals Game 5 - Brood Versus Mew2King

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
did you copy this from some other place that is located elsewhere and not here, or did you just make it? >_>

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
God****it AZ beat me.

lilseph

Smash Ace
I think MLG picks up brawl should be 1.

Its going to help the community for years to come greatly.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Good times, so glad I found this site. Can't believe it's been over 2 years already.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hey AZ, in my honest opinion, you should put the rise of popularity in Brawl hacks as a major event of recent smash history. I'll make a description if you want (which you can correct/edit to your liking).

The rising popularity of Brawl modding (2009-20??)
For many players, Brawl's gameplay felt "dull and boring". Codes and hacks have always been around to give a few funny gimmicks to games. But at the start of 2009, a group of people thought it was time to take hacking to a greater level and make a whole new game out of Brawl. When the first Brawlplus combo video appeared, it attracted a great load of players into the few official threads on the boards. It got popular so fast that administrators created a whole new "Smash Workshop" section for them. Soon enough, other Brawl hacking projects started to pop out, attracting each their good deal of players. Balanced Brawl in summer 2009 and Brawl Minus in the eve of 2010 are some of the big ones. But the Brawl mod attracting by far the most attention is Project M, which is designed to be a successor of Melee. So far, reactions have been overwhelmingly positive for it. But can a hacking project ever achieve high tournament attending like regular games do? This has yet to be done, but may not be impossible.
Project Melee Trailer by Spam_Arrows

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
This list is too conservative! I demand that the Staff Back Room be completely changed! We don't need a bunch of people secretly theoryfighting about these events without any data!

Lol @ the first 3.0 ruleset thread.

Awesome read, Alpha.

Revven

FrankerZ
Hey AZ, in my honest opinion, you should put the rise of popularity in Brawl hacks as a major event of recent smash history. I'll make a description if you want (which you can correct/edit to your liking).

The rising popularity of Brawl modding (2009-20??)
For many players, Brawl's gameplay felt "dull and boring". Codes and hacks have always been around to give a few funny gimmicks to games. But at the start of 2009, a group of people thought it was time to take hacking to a greater level and make a whole new game out of Brawl. When the first Brawlplus combo video appeared, it attracted a great load of players into the few official threads on the boards. It got popular so fast that administrators created a whole new "Smash Workshop" section for them. Soon enough, other Brawl hacking projects started to pop out, attracting each their good deal of players. Balanced Brawl in summer 2009 and Brawl Minus in the eve of 2010 are some of the big ones. But the Brawl mod attracting by far the most attention is Project M, which is designed to be a successor of Melee. So far, reactions have been overwhelmingly positive for it. But can a hacking project ever achieve high tournament attending like regular games do? This has yet to be done, but may not be impossible.
Project Melee Trailer by Spam_Arrows
Should probably add stuff about hitboxes being able to be seen through hacking which has helped Brawl tremendously as well as the exact frames of moves and such.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
There should be a reference to all the character clans sprawled out during Brawl's release, but I think this is for the important stuffs so. :3

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Great read. But where is "Mango wins Pound 3"? That was the beginning of the new era of Melee.

edit: just noticed only 1/10 of the choices were Melee lol... wasn't Pound 4's Melee attendance the largest in the history of Smash? (correct me if I'm wrong please)

It's fine

nickriddle's victory over ally in a set is clearly superior to mango's defining victory over mew2king that simultaneously forced mew2king's reign to an abrupt and unforeseen end and sparked mango's ongoing domination of competitive melee and the coast rivalries that would ensue as a result

CLEARLY

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
It's fine

nickriddle's victory over ally in a set is clearly superior to mango's defining victory over mew2king that simultaneously forced mew2king's reign to an abrupt and unforeseen end and sparked mango's ongoing domination of competitive melee and the coast rivalries that would ensue as a result

CLEARLY
I agree it's pretty stupid.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Most of this stuff has to do with Ally losing LOOOOOOOOOOL.

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I hate to say it but, this list is trash. I understand giving it a Brawl bias, given that Melee has like, 3 other lists and MLG now carries Brawl/owns SWF. But to ignore Melee to this degree is just sad. You could have just expanded the list to 15 to make up for there being 2 games or taken off some of the random entries like the forums becoming more technical (who cares!) and Ken's 2nd place at Evo 2k8, an event involving a horrible ruleset, a player who didn't win the actual tourney, and a player who never played again. Also, waving off Pound 3 and ROM as "dead scene" is unforgivable, as most agree that the former is the second most stacked Melee tourney of all time next to FC3.

Some more specific beefs:

Putting Brood/M2K over ARmada's run and the implied Mango/M2K. I will preface this by stating that if Brood/M2K was actually grand finals I would be fine with this placement. But it wasn't. Given the similarity of both events (great, underrated foreign player rocks US champ [and remember, ARmada did beat Mango in set 1] and proves that involved game is international) the fact that one was grand finals and determined the tourney winner and that the other was essentially for 2nd place. I mean, Brood's run was like ARmada's Apex run, where he beat everyone but got wasted in GF's. ARmada's Genesis run was arguably the second best Smash tourney run ever and deserves to be over Brood's run. Again, if Brood had put up a fight in GF's, I would be more understanding.

This brings me to my biggest beef however: the exclusion (from any of these lists) of Mango's amazing Pound 3 loser's bracket run. Seriously, after losing the first round to Link dittos (essentially a self-handicap) Mango came out of the loser's bracket to beat nearly every big name in Smash (Forward, Cort, Azen, Chu Dat, and PC Chris) to move to GF's to take out M2K in 2 sets, all the while using Jigglypuff, a still unheralded, to that degree anyways, character at the time. This is easily the greatest Smash tourney run of all time, where some kid from almost nowhere (he got 3rd at Evo 2k7 and like Super Champ) comes out and beats everyone with Jpuff. And then dominates the scene for the next 2 years, changing the face of the game and ushering in Melee's 3rd generation. This not being on the list, sadly, completely invalidates it. Good day, sir.

PS: SWF totally hates Mango. Just sayin'.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
agree that mango's pound 3 run taps everything on this list

was that 2008 though?

not saying this is a bad list though i love the memories

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I feel like SNES should be on this list.

in 2009. it was pretty much in the thick of the Ally vs M2K debate, and nobody had an inkling of an idea that anybody besides those two would win it. i think it was a 200+ man tourney, and NOBODY expect Adhd's Diddy to take it, beating m2k and ally back to back. not to mention it was the one of the craziest grand finals I had ever seen, the last game had ally living to like 270%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONr64a9Pt8

Top Bottom