• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I tried out Roy today...

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
I was playing PM with a friend and just fooling around with random characters, and I decided to try Roy. I brushed off trying him on release because I'm terrible with sword fighters and I sucked with him in melee too, but when I used him he was good. Like real good. So I told my friend to try his main while I was Roy, and I beat him. And I'm normally challenged by him when he's his main(s). It was amazing discovering him and learning on-the-spot combos within my first few matches of using him.

I guess the point of this is just to appreciate how amazing Roy is, to me at least, and to ask if there's any advanced techniques for Roy that you guys could teach me or simply inform me about so I can further my strength with him. Thanks!
:roypm::roypm::roypm:

Last edited:

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I would say Roy's pretty straightforward, he doesn't have any character-specific techniques and his moves have very apparent uses. Definitely check out the thread/video on how to land the bair and dair sweetspots. Any other thread asking for advice probably had its question answered, so check out any of those if you're interested. Other than that, feel the fire. Roy's a combo beast and you can pretty much make it up as you go. Do you have any questions about the uses of specific moves, how to do certain things like edgeguard or start combos, or anything else like matchups?

I guess one thing I tend to neglect as Roy are his grabs. He has that great swordsman grab reach and pretty good tech chases, so keep that option in mind.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Might i guide you to this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-tip-and-tricks.343443/ Lots of useful tips/discussions on this thread; page 3 i have a comprehensive list of moves that typically string pretty well.
Personally I love his playstyle and hes all around just fun to play. Like Foxy said, are there any particular things about him that you're curious about technique wise? Personally my bread and butter with roy is upair>grab approach, fair(SHFFL)>dtilt>(insert move here), and the good ol' Dtilt>meteor Dair combo.

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tips! I read through the threads and a lot of stuff got answered for me. The bair/dair video helped and now I have tons of good stuff up my sleeve now.
The only questions as for gameplay are the up b mechanics, and that reversed up b I saw a video of. I've watched some sets of good Roys and it seems like there's a way to make it more horizontal, although I could be completely wrong and my eyes are tricking me.
As for matchups, the only thing I'm wondering is if there's any characters I absolutely should never counterpick with Roy

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
There's a weird trick with making the UpB go one direction while facing the other direction, but it's pretty useless since you can just pick your facing at the end of it anyway.

As far as your matchup question, I would love to know as well.

Top Bottom