• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 3.5 Discussion Likes/Dislikes/Combo Strats!

GabPR

Smash Lord
My main problems usually revolve around a Squirtles aerial game, he can get an Uair > Nair > Double Jump > Soft Fair > Fair and bring me across the stage. I have no problem with the SideB approach. But if a Squirtle knows how to abuse his DownB, he will, and it gets pretty annoying, even when you tech it perfectly just because of the number of options he has for tech chases.

My sparring partner is a Squirtle main, so I am pretty versed in the matchup, but I just find it a little difficult.
Nair into fair? That seems pretty weird considering the move has a lot of recovery end lag. Is it DI dependant? Anyways, you could say you have a good punish game on squirtle. Easier to gimp, pretty straightfoward recovery, decent combo weight for Sonic, its all there. If he has a better neutral or not I cannot really say, but punishment wise I see Sonic ahead.

jtm94

Smash Lord
How does he have a better run speed or grab game? Their grabs are nearly identical and have similar applications. Except Falcon has better disjoint and a knee. Also, Falcon's dash acceleration is better.
His run speed is actually better. I said nothing about dash acceleration.
Sonic's JC grab goes further and can't be ducked.
Sonic's grabs go into more things than Falcon without even trying. Falcon's downthrow goes into tech chases except against floaties, Sonic's downthrow does the same thing but with more time to act and it sends lower for drop zone anything. Falcon's upthrow is situational at best if he can get uair in time, Sonic's upthrow is a hit of most aerials granted % isn't over 100 on a floaty.
Falcon has more disjoint? in what? Certain Sonic's fair and bair will beat all of his moves.
The way Sonic maintains momentum and speed is similar to Falcon in that you need to attack before you are on your opponent. You can rush down with moves to punish whiffed attacks. His momentum also allows him to do fly by moves making them pseudo-safe on shield.
Sonic also has a safer combo weight than Falcon.
Sonic also has better recovery.

I said the characters are similar not the same, you're just being nitpicky. Both characters are similar in that the placement of their moves is difficult because of how they retain momentum. Sonic may not have knee, but you can RAR bair from across the stage and ruin someone's day.

Last edited:

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
His run speed is actually better. I said nothing about dash acceleration.
Sonic's JC grab goes further and can't be ducked.
Sonic's grabs go into more things than Falcon without even trying. Falcon's downthrow goes into tech chases except against floaties, Sonic's downthrow does the same thing but with more time to act and it sends lower for drop zone anything. Falcon's upthrow is situational at best if he can get uair in time, Sonic's upthrow is a hit of most aerials granted % isn't over 100 on a floaty.
Falcon has more disjoint? in what? Certain Sonic's fair and bair will beat all of his moves.
The way Sonic maintains momentum and speed is similar to Falcon in that you need to attack before you are on your opponent. You can rush down with moves to punish whiffed attacks. His momentum also allows him to do fly by moves making them pseudo-safe on shield.
Sonic also has better recovery.

I said the characters are similar not the same, you're just being nitpicky. Both characters are similar in that the placement of their moves is difficult because of how they retain momentum. Sonic may not have knee, but you can RAR bair from across the stage and ruin someone's day.
I never said they were the same either. I didn't say anything comparing their movesets and intricacies besides dashing and grabbing.
I think the tradeoff with Sonic's and Falcon's throw is that Sonic can grab fastfallers at any percent and land a followup of some kind that usually leads to a gimp or up air, while Falcon can do the same with floaties and earn an outright kill with knee.
And I might be wrong, but I think a better dash acceleration is more valuable than an overall run speed.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have experience with DDD matchup? Mainly him edge guarding Sonic, hiss DownB and Fair pretty much cover everything, and it's getting really really aggravating.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Sonic's bair will trade with nair, but no, Fair will only trade when perfectly spaced and timed from both characters, otherwise Falcon nair beats Sonic's everything. If you're losing to fair, you're timing is wonky and your spacing needs work.

Also his combo weight is safer against some characters, sure, but between the two? Both characters get the Touch of Death from the other, but Falcon has the easier time because his combos work on the majority of the cast with little change, while Sonic must juggle on the fly and on reaction against Falcon depending on DI. Sonic's garbage tech rolls also make this matchup much more even.
Sonic may not have knee, but you can RAR bair from across the stage and ruin someone's day.
RAR bair? No. Moonwalk bair? MY FAVORITE THING and it totally ruins their day. It's awesome.

hey everyone today I learned how to sheild. You press a button and people hurt you less. It's kinda cool very advanced.

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's bair will trade with nair, but no, Fair will only trade when perfectly spaced and timed from both characters, otherwise Falcon nair beats Sonic's everything. If you're losing to fair, you're timing is wonky and your spacing needs work.

Also his combo weight is safer against some characters, sure, but between the two? Both characters get the Touch of Death from the other, but Falcon has the easier time because his combos work on the majority of the cast with little change, while Sonic must juggle on the fly and on reaction against Falcon depending on DI. Sonic's garbage tech rolls also make this matchup much more even.
Said it better than I could've

Top Bottom