• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB: Forward Smash Attacks vs Reverse Forward Smash Attacks

Shadowblade2193

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowblade2193

My reasons for making this video is mainly for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. (4) for WiiU/3DS. Although this is nothing groundbreaking I found this to be quite interesting. I couldn't really find much on this so I decided to do a video on it.

This could have some benefits in SSB4 for the new characters or possibly returning characters with updated Movesets such as Bowser.

I have tested this in Super Smash Bros. Brawl with all characters and this only happens with: Mario, Sonic, Sheik, Captain Falcon and Gannondorf. I have also tested this in Super Smash Bros. Melee with all character and it does not happen.

This is very simple to do. Just Smash opposite to the direction you are facing.

Smash to the right
:GCL:>:GCCR:or
:GCL:>:GCR:+ :GCA:
:GCL:>:GCCR:+ HOLD:GCA:or:GCZ: (Charged)
Smash to the left
:GCR:>:GCCL:or
:GCR:>:GCL:+ :GCA:
:GCR:>:GCCL:+ HOLD:GCA:or:GCZ: (Charged)

Here's a list of Forward Smash Attacks in Brawl based on smash type.

Forward Smash Attacks - Fixed (During Attack)
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pikachu, Ivysaur, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Mr Game & Watch, Snake, Sonic

Forward Smash Attacks - Moving (During Attack)
Bowser, Diddy Kong, Wario, Link, Sheik, Gannondorf, Toon Link, King DeDeDe, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Squirtle, Charizard, lucario, Jigglypuff

Forward Smash Attacks - Extended (Reversed)
Mario, Sonic, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf

Song - Destination Station by SHADOWFOX02

Last edited:

Shadowblade2193

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowblade2193
Did you use the C-stick when testing, or the manual analog + A?
Yes I was using the C-stick in the video but you can do this with the A or Z button if you wish. It's just easier to do it with the C-stick consistantly. Just F-smash opposite to the direction you're facing: Facing left > Smash right to go right or Facing right > Smash left to go left. Thats all there is to it. I will update the description thanks for pointing that out.:)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
kk. I just wanted to make sure you weren't tutter-stepping the fsmashes whenever you did them backwards. This is pretty interesting

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
This sounds familiar. If I recall correctly, some people who main Mario called this the Stutter Step, or something.

Shadowblade2193

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowblade2193
You are just doing a stutter step.
Not true. Some characters move when they f-smash backwards.
This isn't stutter stepping as far as I know. This happens due to the character animations themselves when facing backwards which only happens to those 5 characters and I tested all of them. It doesn't happen in Melee either. I couldn't really find anything on it which is why I wanted to get some feedback on it. I also want so see if it still happens in smash 4. I was gonna do this years ago but I thought it may be pointless and people wouldn't be interested or I felt like I would just be turned away because it's Brawl. Thanks for checking it out though.

Top Bottom