• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Step by step guide (with pics!) on how to edit music titles using BrawlBox (UPDATED)

VidPower

Smash Rookie
UPDATE2: I've found an easier way to find the particular song you want to edit out when editing your music titles in step 10.

UPDATE: Thanks to Alphatron for telling me about the exporting MiscData[140] trick and RandomTBush for helping me solve the info.pac filesize problems. Also thanks to Fijoe in another thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252004) for providing the Peach turnip into CD code.

Gone are the days of Moosehunter's compress and decompress programs or Dantarion's Any Length Song Title programs. While those programs served their purpose, with the advent of Kryal's BrawlBox, we can now easily edit music titles without having to do a lot of work. Here is a step by step guide (with pics!) on how to do it using BrawlBox. While this guide may look long, each step literally takes a few seconds to do.

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY FOR THE AMERICAN VERSION OF BRAWL (NTSC-U) (version code: RSBE01)

Before we get started with the tutorial, let me give you an overview of what we are going to do. We are going to use BrawlBox to edit two files: info.pac and mu_menumain.pac The info.pac file is used to provide the music titles in-battle, while the mu_menumain.pac file is used to provide the music titles for the "My Music" and "Sound Test" menus in Brawl. All right, enough rambling, let's get on with the tutorial.

1) Get a clean and uneditted info_en.pac and mu_menumain_en.pac. You can download info_en.pac here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmmmj4mjjnm You can download mu_menumain_en.pac here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mndyxggzymn

2) Download a fresh install of BrawlBox version 0.59 from here: http://brawltools.googlecode.com/files/BrawlBox v0.59.zip . Even if you've used BrawlBox before, I recommend redownloading it so you will have a fresh install with all the settings reset. After you have downloaded BrawlBox, create a new folder and unzip all the contents from the BrawlBox zip file to that folder. Also, make sure you have the Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5 SP1 installed, or else BrawlBox won't even start up. If you don't have it, you can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en=en
fresh install of BrawlBox

3) Take the info_en.pac and mu_menumain_en.pac files and place them in the same folder as BrawlBox so that all the needed files are in one directory.
fresh install of BrawlBox with info_en.pac and mu_menumain_en.pac placed in the same folder

4) Double click on BrawlBox.exe

5) Click on File-->Open
opening up info.pac

6) Open up your info_en.pac file
selecting info_en.pac

7) Your screen should now look like this:
BrawlBox screen with info_en.pac opened up

8) On the left side of the screen, click on "MiscData(140)". Now your screen should look like this:
Clicking on "MiscData(140)"

9) See that box on the middle-right part of the screen with the music titles? That is what you will be editing. To change a music title simply left-click on any music title and on the LOWER-RIGHT textbox, change the title to whatever you want. In this example, I'm going to change the "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme" to "The Dark Knight"
Before changing it to "The Dark Knight"
After changing it to "The Dark Knight"

10) Now, change any other music titles that you want to change. For purposes of this tutorial, I'm only going to change "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme" to "The Dark Knight" and not change anything else. Obviously, your music titles will be different from my music titles, because they're whatever music you're choosing to put into your Brawl game. UPDATE: To find the particular song you want, just left-click on any music title on the list of music titles on the RIGHT-HAND side of the screen (not the text box on the lower-right hand side of the screen). Then simply just press the letter on your keyboard that corresponds to the first letter of the song. If the highlighted song isn't the song you want, simply press the same button over and over again on your keyboard until the particular song you want is highlighted. Example: I want to change out the song "Break Through the Ice", so I would just press the "B" button on my keyboard. The highlighted music title jumped to "Butter Building". This isn't the song I want, so I press the "B" button again on my keyboard. Now "Boss Theme Medley" is highlighted. I don't want this song either. So, I press the "B" button again. This time, "Break Through the Ice" is highlighted. Awesome. Now I can change "Break Through the Ice" to whatever song title I want. The good thing here is that you don't have to worry about the length of your music titles. So if you have a music title that's 40 characters long, no problem, type all 40 characters in. Go wild with your music titles.

11) After you have changed out all your music titles, simply click on File-->Save If you did it correctly, there should also be a dialog box that pops up automatically that says it is compressing.
Saving the changes
BrawlBox will automatically compress the file

12) Okay, we are done saving our newly edited info_en.pac file, but we still need to make sure that as a result of our editing, that we didn't end up increasing the filesize. The original filesize of info_en.pac is 391 KB. Your newly edited info_en.pac MUST BE 391 KB OR LOWER. If it is, move on to step 13 below. If it is 392 KB or higher, your wii will freeze. Don't fret, just follow the steps below.

=========================================================
DECREASING THE FILESIZE OF YOUR INFO_EN.PAC
1) We can see in this screenshot that our info_en.pac is 392 KB. The filesize is too big and it will make our wii freeze up. In order to decrease the filesize to 391 KB or below, we are going to need to take out other unessessary information from our info_en.pac file.
Our filesize is too big

2) If you've followed directions, BrawlBox should still be open with the info_en.pac file loaded. If it isn't go ahead and launch BrawlBox, then open up your info_en.pac file. In order to decrease the filesize, we want to get rid of other useless menu messages in the game. To do this, left-click on MiscData[160]. Your screen should now look like this:
Getting ready to edit out other useless menu messages

3) You see those WiFi messages on the right hand side. Well, we are going to relace each of them with just a "?". To do this, just left-click on any WiFi message and on the LOWER-RIGHT hand corner, just put a "?" in it to replace it. Before you replace the message, just give it a quick read and decide whether or not you think you'll end up encountering that message when you play the game. If you don't think you'll encounter it, just replace it with a "?". If you do think you'll encounter it, go ahead and leave it. Keep in mind though, that you will need to replace many of these so that our filesize will end up being 391 KB or below.
Before replacing the messages with a "?"
After replacing the messages with a "?"

4) Now click on File-->Save. Again, a dialog box should automatically pop up stating that it is compressing our file. Once it is done compressing, check on the filesize to see if it is 391 KB or below. If it is, congratulations, move onto step 13 below. If it isn't, repeat steps 3 - 4 until it is 391 KB or below. Once it's 391 KB or below, move onto step 13.
Our filesize is correct now.

13) Now that we are done with editing info_en.pac, we will export the list of changed music titles and import the list of changed music titles into mu_menumain_en.pac This way, we won't have to manually edit mu_menumain_en.pac like we just did with info_en.pac Your BrawlBox should already be open with info_en.pac loaded up, but if it isn't, go ahead and open up BrawlBox and load up info_en.pac See the MiscData[140] on the left hand side? Go ahead and right-click on it, and then left-click on "Export".
Exporting the MiscData[140]

14) A dialog box should come up. No need to edit the name of the file. Just save it into the same BrawlBox folder that we've been working with.
Saving the MiscData[140] file

15) Now, close BrawlBox by clicking on File-->Exit

16) Okay, we are done with editing our info_en.pac Now let's move onto the mu_menumain_en.pac file.

17) BrawlBox should now be closed and you should not have any programs open now. Good. Now we will start up BrawlBox again so we can edit our mu_menumain_en.pac file. So, double-click on BrawlBox.exe You should be at the main BrawlBox screen again
Here we are again at the main BrawlBox screen.

18) Click on File-->Open
opening up mu_menumain_en.pac

19) Open up your mu_menumain_en.pac file.
selecting mu_menumain_en.pac

20) Your screen should now look like this:
BrawlBox screen with mu_menumain_en.pac opened up

21) Do you see the MiscData[7] on the left-hand side of the screen? Just right-click on it, and then left-click on "Replace"
Replacing the MiscData[7]

22) A dialog box will appear. Open up the MiscData[140] file that we exported earlier.
Selecting the MiscData[140] file

23) If you look toward the right-hand side of the screen, your music titles should all be changed to whatever it was that you changed them to when you were editing the info_en.pac file. Since all I did was change the song "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme" to "The Dark Knight", that's all that shows up in the screenshot. Obviously, your list of changed music titles will be different from mine.
Our newly changed music titles.

24) Now click on File-->Save Again, a dialog box will automatically appear stating that it is compressing.
Saving the changes
BrawlBox will automatically compress the file

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you get the following dialog box:
Error Message when saving the file
Don't panic!!! You're okay. All you have to do is click "OK" to close the dialog box. Then go back to the upper-left hand corner and click on File-->Save. At this point, it SHOULD correctly save the file.

25) Now, just exit out of BrawlBox by clicking on File-->Exit

26) Now, let's just make sure that our newly edited mu_menumain_en.pac file is exactly 4,159 KB IT MUST BE EXACTLY THIS FILESIZE, OR ELSE YOUR WII WILL FREEZE. If you followed directions, the mu_menumain_en.pac should be 4,159 KB.
Making sure our mu_menumain_en.pac filesize is 4,159 KB

27) Okay, everything should be correctly edited. Now, go into your BrawlBox directory and change the file names of your newly edited info_en.pac and mu_menumain_en.pac. Basically, we want to remove the "_en" part from the filenames. So, basically we changed "info_en.pac" to "info.pac" and we changed "mu_menumain_en.pac" to "mu_menumain.pac"
Before editing the filenames

After editing the filenames

28) Insert your SD card into your computer. Place your info.pac file into:

I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pf\info2\info.pac

Placing the info.pac file into the right directory

29) Place your mu_menumain.pac file into:

I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pfmenu2\mu_menumain.pac

No, I did not type out the file path wrong. This is where many people mess up. They place the mu_menumain.pac in the wrong directory. So, double-check that your filepath is correct. Notice that you are creating a folder called "pfmenu2" INSIDE the RSBE folder. Then you place the mu_menumain.pac inside that "pfmenu2" folder.

Placing the mu_menumain.pac file into the right directory

30) That's it!!! You're done!!! When you go to load up Gecko OS, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING FILE REPLACEMENT CODE VERSION 3.5.1 If you are using an older version of the code, your wii will freeze. Things like Brawl+ Version 5.0 RC 1 will have the file replacement code version 3.5.1 in it. If you just want the actual code itself, visit the giant texture thread located here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225642

======================================================
MISC NOTES
======================================================

If you haven't collected all the music CDs yet, use the code below:

Peach Turnips turn into CDs
4A000000 8098D528
D2000000 00000003
2C060056 40820008
38C0000B 60000000
90DD08C0 00000000

Then just start a normal Brawl, select Peach, and just use Peach's turnip move (Down+B) and you'll easily collect any CDs that you don't have in your collection.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Awesome guide. I'll try this tomorrow or something, as I've got a ton of songs without proper titles. Thanks a ton.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Great guide and great first post! I should note that since the MiscData[140] file in the info.pac and the MiscData[7] file in the mu_menumain.pac are exactly the same, that there is no reason to edit them twice. After you manually replace the song titles yourself, simply export the file and replace it in place of the other one.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Very detailed guide. Maybe a little too detailed for the average bear, but it'll surely avoid some stupid questions. Can't wait to test this. Thanks :)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Works like a charm! Especially thanks to Alpha's tip. I just had to extract the file from the info.pac I already had with custom titles. XD

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Sir, you are a LIFESAVER!!! Now, I can rename song titles no problemo...Thanks!!!

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Great guide, although the pics are kinda unnecessary since it's so small to see anything there but that's just me lol

VidPower

Smash Rookie
Great guide, although the pics are kinda unnecessary since it's so small to see anything there but that's just me lol
For me it takes three clicks to get the picture at the full 1680x1050 resolution. One click on the thumbnail to go to the imageshack site, a 2nd click on the picture when I'm on the imageshack site, and a 3rd click when I hover over the image and my mouse cursor turns to a magnifying glass (cause I'm using Firefox). It is annoying to have to click so much, but that's the nature of the beast when using a free image hosting site.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Wow! Excellent guide! Now I'll be able to edit my song titles with ease!

However, I don't really get what Alphatron is saying. What do you do exactly when you export the info.pac?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Wow! Excellent guide! Now I'll be able to edit my song titles with ease!

However, I don't really get what Alphatron is saying. What do you do exactly when you export the info.pac?
You don't export the info.pac after you edit it. You export the MiscData[140] file from the info.pac and replace the MiscData[7] file in the mu_menumain.pac with it.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Great guide and great first post! I should note that since the MiscData[140] file in the info.pac and the MiscData[7] file in the mu_menumain.pac are exactly the same, that there is no reason to edit them twice. After you manually replace the song titles yourself, simply export the file and replace it in place of the other one.
Yeah, you should add this to the first post.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for double post, but I ran into a problem.

When I edit a song title, its .pac file size increases, so when I put in my 20 music titles, my Wii freezes when I boot up the game because the .pac files arent the same size as the originals. I looked through the guide twice and I am absolutely sure I did everything on there.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
info.pac
size: 391 KB (400,596 bytes)
size on disk: 392 KB (401,408 bytes)

mu_menumain.pac
size: 4.06 MB (4,258,260 bytes)
size on disk: 4.06 MB (4,259,840 bytes)

and while looking in my folder, it says that my info.pac is 392 KB

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
info.pac
size: 391 KB (400,596 bytes)
size on disk: 392 KB (401,408 bytes)

mu_menumain.pac
size: 4.06 MB (4,258,260 bytes)
size on disk: 4.06 MB (4,259,840 bytes)

and while looking in my folder, it says that my info.pac is 392 KB
That sounds like it didn't compress while saving.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
That sounds like it didn't compress while saving.
Sounds like it did actually. An uncompressed mu_menumain is around 10 MB or so. When I was editing the title screen, the file size did indeed change after compression. I could only use it because it was a smaller size than the original.

My mu_menumain has nearly 120 titles edited and its the exact same size as the original. Maybe you edited more titles than that or your titles were much too long. But I doubt it.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
If you need more room for song titles, do like I did and blank out some lines in the other MSBINs. (For me, it would be the Wi-Fi messages, since I don't play Brawl online.)

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
If you need more room for song titles, do like I did and blank out some lines in the other MSBINs. (For me, it would be the Wi-Fi messages, since I don't play Brawl online.)
This is what I did, since my file increased to 392 KB after editing song titles, so I cut out some Wifi messages until I got it back down to 391.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Well I tried deleting a bunch of singleplayer song titles in MiscData 140 and it still froze, then I went back and I couldnt even acces the data file so I had to start over again...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Well I tried deleting a bunch of singleplayer song titles in MiscData 140 and it still froze, then I went back and I couldnt even acces the data file so I had to start over again...
Crap, I shouldn't have said "blank out". What I meant was "put a ? for each line you want to remove". Sorry. D:

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
lol nah it's alright, and actually I figured that out before you posted again but thanks anyway! lol this stuff should probably be in the op.

VidPower

Smash Rookie
Hmm... Yesterday, I added in more music titles into my info.pac file, but I too ended up with the filesize of info.pac being 392 KB instead of 391 KB. This ends up freezing my wii. I'm really not that knowledgeable about BrawlBox and it did indeed give me the compression dialog box when I went to save the file. I guess I could take out some unneeded info, like WiFi messages to correct this problem, but I'm kind of worried I need those messages. What I did was went back to using the Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool method, which created a info.pac file that is 390 KB, which ended up working perfectly.

Oh, and I'll update the OP soon, with that exporting the "MiscData[140]" tip. I have to wait till I get to my school's computer to get some pics, cause my home computer is a piece of trash.

I'm thinking of adding a companion guide which shows you how to use Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool. This way, it'll solve the problems for the people who have info.pac filesizes above 391 KB. What do you guys think?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Hmm... Yesterday, I added in more music titles into my info.pac file, but I too ended up with the filesize of info.pac being 392 KB instead of 391 KB. This ends up freezing my wii. I'm really not that knowledgeable about BrawlBox and it did indeed give me the compression dialog box when I went to save the file. I guess I could take out some unneeded info, like WiFi messages to correct this problem, but I'm kind of worried I need those messages. What I did was went back to using the Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool method, which created a info.pac file that is 390 KB, which ended up working perfectly.

Oh, and I'll update the OP soon, with that exporting the "MiscData[140]" tip. I have to wait till I get to my school's computer to get some pics, cause my home computer is a piece of trash.

I'm thinking of adding a companion guide which shows you how to use Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool. This way, it'll solve the problems for the people who have info.pac filesizes above 391 KB. What do you guys think?
All Dantarion's tool does to get a smaller file size is replace every message in that Wifi section with "?". It's the same effect as doing it yourself in Brawlbox. And IMO you don't really need the Wifi messages anyway. It's just stuff like "Now connecting to Wifi" and "You are now connected to Wifi". You could leave some of the SD card-related messages alone if you still wanted to read them.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
You mean the "yes" or "no" messages? You don't need to be able to read those either to be honest.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Yup works perfectly fine with it. Just use it the way you would on a disc. :3

The Sex Puma

Smash Lord
I just get a black screen after the strap loader. Not quite sure what I did wrong. <.<

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Good guide.
You can also take a songs.db file generated by my BRSTM tool, open it in notepad, and copy/paste it into BrawlBox's msbin editor.

VidPower

Smash Rookie
I've updated the OP with all the tips found in this thread.

I just get a black screen after the strap loader. Not quite sure what I did wrong. <.<
Did you make sure that your info.pac filesize is 391 KB or below?
Did you make sure that your mu_menumain.pac filesize is exactly 4,159 KB?
Are you 100% sure that you are using File Replacement Code version 3.5.1?

the link to the .pac files is broken. any other place i can get them?
You can download info_en.pac here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmmmj4mjjnm
You can download mu_menumain_en.pac here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mndyxggzymn

Before I even get started on this, is this one of those things that REQUIRES the ISO?
No. This guide does not require the ISO whatsoever.

The Sex Puma

Smash Lord
I've updated the OP with all the tips found in this thread.

Did you make sure that your info.pac filesize is 391 KB or below?
Did you make sure that your mu_menumain.pac filesize is exactly 4,159 KB?
Are you 100% sure that you are using File Replacement Code version 3.5.1?
Yeah, it's 389 KB. I haven't even started using the mu_menumain.pac yet. And yes I am using
File Replacement Code version 3.5.1

Edit: I'll try it with the info_en.pac you just gave out and come back with results.

VidPower

Smash Rookie
Ok I still have the info.pac problem, but my mu_menumain.pac works perfectly.
Hmm... Sorry, I don't know how to solve your problem. You could always try the old fashioned way of using Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use it:

1) Download Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool and unzip everything to a folder.
2) Change the defaultsongs.db filename to songs.db
3) Use Notepad++ Portable to open up songs.db and edit out your music titles. Then click File-->Save. Then exit out of Notepad++ by clicking File-->Exit. -- DO NOT USE REGULAR WINDOWS NOTEPAD TO EDIT SONGS.DB OR ELSE IT WILL MESS EVERYTHING UP--.
4) Double-click on ALSTT.exe
5) The program should create a info.pac file for you. Place it in the appropriate directory in your SD card, which is: I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pf\info2\info.pac

stickman

Smash Apprentice
29) Place your mu_menumain.pac file into:

I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pfmenu2\mu_menumain.pac

No, I did not type out the file path wrong. This is where many people mess up. They place the mu_menumain.pac in the wrong directory. So, double-check that your filepath is correct. Notice that you are creating a folder called "pfmenu2" INSIDE the RSBE folder. Then you place the mu_menumain.pac inside that "pfmenu2" folder.
Why is this not
I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pf\menu2\mu_menumain.pac ?
The game can't call a file from a directory that didn't already exist in its coding. Especially since the file came from the menu2 folder. I do not understand why this is the directory, since there is no alternate loading engine being used except for PW's patch code (which only loads things AFTER the pf folder).

EDIT: Unless I am sadly mistaken of course. It's just throwing me for a loop and I don't understand why it is so

Top Bottom