• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter mindset

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else image that they are playing their favorite Street Fighter game when playing as Ryu? And try to follow those game mechanics?

That's what i do, it feels like a Marvel v Capcom 3 mix with Street fighter 4 and 2.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Well, it's like I tell people. The goal of playing a successful Ryu game is to force your opponent to play Street Fighter.

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
In terms of spacing I have the SF mindset but other than that I still play like any other Smash character

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Not at all. Jumping is one of the riskiest options in Street Fighter, while it's a constant movement aspect in Smash Bros. You aren't going to get very far using only Hadouken, Shoryuken, strong down tilt, and staying on the ground in this game.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Not at all. Jumping is one of the riskiest options in Street Fighter, while it's a constant movement aspect in Smash Bros. You aren't going to get very far using only Hadouken, Shoryuken, strong down tilt, and staying on the ground in this game.
Yeah, I jump a lot in smash. Tried playing street fighter with that mindset and got destroyed.

TheBlackHombre

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBlackHombre
I'm a smash player who came from traditional fighting games originally, and not only that but Ryu is the only reason why I play smash 4 (granted not much since I don't own a wii u). So yes I do play Ryu like Street Fighter but I have been slowly adding more smash like elements to my gameplan.

An example of my anti air game as Ryu:

Opponent jumps toward me within dp range/appropriate angle = heavy dp

Opponent jumps toward me at an angle (while being closer in proximity than the previous example) where my dp will whiff underneath them due to the trajectory of the jump in = jump back fair (like an air-to-air AA in street fighter)

Opponent jumps toward me at a far proximity (further away than the first example) where their aerial will whiff = d2 xx heavy dp (punishes opponent's landing lag like a trip guard AA in street fighter)

In addition to all this, since smash 4 is pretty slow gameplay wise; the amount of time I have to hitconfirm is a joke and the combos are extremely easy to perform (compared to say 3rd strike which is a game I love).

Hitconfirmable combos
d1, d1 xx dp
d1, d1, d2 xx tatsu
d2 xx tatsu (midrange)

If I'm close range and the opponent shields my d1, I can just continue chaining my d1 (unless they Powershield the first hit allowing them to shield grab me) and push myself out of shield grab range.

I do need more work on playing like a smash player though because my gameplan is currently based around whittling their health down to around 95% and confirming into dp for a kill. I suck at setting up off stage gimps or dair spikes.

Top Bottom