• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sweetspot Boxen & Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
The following shows the sweetspot grab boxen for all characters. A character grabs the edge by completing the following conditions:
1. Being in a state in which one can grab the edge (i.e. on your way down from a jump)
2. Having the sweetspot box in front of you overlap the edge (edges shown below).
3. Having the sweetspot box behind you not overlap the edge (unless using a move you can grab behind you from - i.e. CF's Up-b).

Look a few posts down for the rest

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Ok, I understand what you're saying but I don't understand the graphics, what do the red box and blue box mean?(including the big blue one) explain please.

EDIT: I think you're editing the images right now... I'll look later

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The big blue box I have no idea, but the blue and red boxes are grab boxes. Red is the left grab box, blue is the right grab box.

What's a sweetsopt?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
The Following are the stages. The Gray is the ground, the blue is drop-able platforms (not visible on all stages). The Edges (for which one's sweetspot box has to overlap to grab) are red. The Blue crosses are starting points, the Green crosses are respawn spots, and the yellow crosses are item spawn points (i believe). On motion stages, the stage components move, while the stage itself does not.

Battlefield:

Dreamland 64:

Final Destination:

Fountain of Dreams:

Pokemon Stadium (neutral):

Pokemon Stadium (grass):

Yoshi's Story:

Brinstar:

Corneria:

Kongo Jungle 64:

Green Greens:

Jungle Japes (note the odd use of edges here):

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok, I understand what you're saying but I don't understand the graphics, what do the red box and blue box mean?(including the big blue one) explain please.

EDIT: I think you're editing the images right now... I'll look later
The Red and blue boxen are the boxen that are in front of/ behind you that the one in front of you must overlap the edge with, while the one behind you must not overlap the edge. I don't know what the large blue one is.

The big blue box I have no idea, but the blue and red boxes are grab boxes. Red is the left grab box, blue is the right grab box.

What's a sweetsopt?
A sweetspot is loosly defined as the max length you can grab the edge from.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Just a guess - does the large blue box maybe have something to do with the way the camera zooms and pans? It seems to be attached to the characters and extends in front of them...I know the camera tends to zoom out if you have two characters facing away from each other and then back in if they turn toward each other.

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
Is the third picture for Samus during her double jump or during/after a Screw Attack?

Also, I like your usage of the term boxen.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
The Red and blue boxen are the boxen that are in front of/ behind you that the one in front of you must overlap the edge with, while the one behind you must not overlap the edge. I don't know what the large blue one is.
:confused: if it does not overlap how do you grab the edge from behind? or you mean that the char must touch the edge but not with the box behind him, is that it?

EDIT: sorry for screwing your post up there =P

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if the character can grab the edge from behind (i.e. during CF's up-b), if either of the grab boxen (in front/ behind) can overlap the edge to grab it. if they cannot grab the edge from behind, then they can grab the edge if and only if the box in front of them overlaps the edge, and the box behind them does not overlap the edge. sorry for any confusion before or now, i'm trying to explain it as clearly as i can. Also i didn't realize there was an image cap on posts, so it was really my fault, i was just being cynical when i said i hate you guys.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Does the Jungle Japes ledge boxes imply that if you can get directly under the stage with a character with a high enough grab box that it'll direct you to the nearest ledgegrab?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
No because you won't grab the edge if both sweetspot boxes overlap the edge at the same time, as stated as the third condition on the first post.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Bowyer's got this **** down. He's right. I don't yet know of the significance of the edge being one large thing, if there is any significance.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Yeah, it seems really strange for them to have done that intentionally. I doubt it's laziness, either, so there just might be some importance, most likely with error handling due to the water and crocodile that attack you.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
So is this perhaps why Battlefield kills people so often when it looks like it shouldn't.
because perhaps because the thin edge makes it easier for part of the Red box to overlap the sweetspot?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I understand that characters with no rear sweetspot can't ledgegrab if the box behind them overlaps with the edge, thus they cannot magically grab a ledge on Jungle Japes, but what about CF and Ganon? What if one of them dives at the underside of the level? I'm pretty sure they don't zap over to the ledge, or edgehop through the floorboards. Is it more of an either or thing for them?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
what are you asking?
Maybe the wording of the original post is confusing me. But what it says is that if the edge overlaps with the blue sweespot box on a character, then they will grab the ledge. As for the red sweetspot box, that only works with characters like Falcon and Ganon.

Now if this were all there is to it, both of Captain Falcon's sweetspot boxes would overlap the full-stage edge that shows up on Jungle Japes. This would cause him to grab the ledge, which he doesn't. What I'm asking is, in the case of characters for whom the sweetspot box on either side can catch the edge, shouldn't it only be one box or the other that needs to overlap, and if both overlap, then the ledge is not grabbed?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Maybe the wording of the original post is confusing me. But what it says is that if the edge overlaps with the blue sweespot box on a character, then they will grab the ledge. As for the red sweetspot box, that only works with characters like Falcon and Ganon.

Now if this were all there is to it, both of Captain Falcon's sweetspot boxes would overlap the full-stage edge that shows up on Jungle Japes. This would cause him to grab the ledge, which he doesn't. What I'm asking is, in the case of characters for whom the sweetspot box on either side can catch the edge, shouldn't it only be one box or the other that needs to overlap, and if both overlap, then the ledge is not grabbed?
JJ is kinda f'ed up. I don't really know why it appears to only have edges like that. it could also just be a random texturing error, or it might have something to do with the stage in the way. i can't really say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom