• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teach me how to be dank.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Just saw some nasty squirtle movement now I feel like I want him to be my secondary. Direct me. Basics, combos, do's and Don'ts. Halp I just wanna be cool.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
bring irl glasses to tournaments, spam buttons on your controller (especially left and right on the analog, make sure your opponent can hear the spam), side-b if you actually want to win, and remember, if you lose, tell them that squirtle is the hardest character in the game because of his immense tech ceiling.

Last edited:

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
bring irl glasses to tournaments, spam buttons on your controller (especially left and right on the analog, make sure your opponent can hear the spam), side-b if you actually want to win, and remember, if you lose, tell them that squirtle is the hardest character in the game because of his immense tech ceiling.
This is surprisingly accurate. But Squirtle is mad fun. Question, how do you guys use his Nair?

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
Nair is good for edgeguarding as a semi-spike - if you hit them with it when you're above them at a 45 degree angle they'll be sent down and away from the stage.

You can also use it out of withdraw fairly quickly.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Just saw some nasty squirtle movement now I feel like I want him to be my secondary. Direct me. Basics, combos, do's and Don'ts. Halp I just wanna be cool.
First off you want him to be your main.

Second off, landing withdraw combos into nair/bair guaranteed, of they DI away nair, of they DI in bair.

Third, jab is frame 2, d-tilt frame 3, f-tilt frame 4.

Fourth, D-smash guaranteed combos into slingjump u-air pretty much forever until death on everyone except jigglypuff. So if you're thinking wow they DId that well I don't think I can followup, yes you can, but only with slingjump uair.

Fifth, squirtle's tail is intangible at all times, no-one can grab it or hit it. His attacks which are most disjointed because of this are Bair, D-tilt, F-tilt, Uair, and Dair. All of these moves come out really fast and are what you should use for poking with the excepting of dair which is for stuffing almost every recovery in the game (just hit them with the tip of the tail).

Walking out of wavedash is really useful for extending your slide and momentum without committing to anything.

Use his movement to bait out whiffs and exploit openings. Cancel shellshift, his turnaround attack, into JC grab. This is called hydrograb and it's central to how you play squirtle. Hydrograb can cover multiple tech chase options and is basically a feint-grab. It gives squirtle one of the best grab games in smash.

Really you should practice his movement most because it opens up more and more combo possibilities and really starts to get insane with just how much you can do with the character. Since his normal dash dance is meh, you will have to use different patterns of wavedash, shellshift, waveshift (jump cancelling shellshift into a wavedash), slingjump (a frame perfect reverse aerial rush), slingdash (cancelling slingjump with a wavedash), and moonwalking. If you practice the tech skill involved with these 6 movement techniques and use them in various combos like in the video you will basically be threatening the entire stage like luigi, and the entire air like captain falcon while never having to really commit and remaining safe.

Then you throw in hydroplaning techniques to have attacks out while you slide around, and more and more hydrograb attempts to get in (hydrograb can go like 10 different lengths depending on which frame you cancel out of shellshift).

Awesome technique to practice: short hop slingjump B-turnaround bubble.

B- turnaround effectively means you are holding the direction you want to turn before you hit b (gently push on the control stick) and you turn in the air without losing momentum or changing direction. Squirtle can shorthop slingjump where he is moving extremely fast through the air while facing backwards, then input the direction change then Down-B to bubble. Squirtle can cover half the stage with this super fast approach and then tech chases from there.

Anything you saw in the video I could explain how to do precisely with inputs if you ask.

Last edited:

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
Fourth, D-smash guaranteed combos into slingjump u-air pretty much forever until death on everyone except jigglypuff. So if you're thinking wow they DId that well I don't think I can followup, yes you can, but only with slingjump uair.
Whoa whoa whoa. What? Elaborate.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Whoa whoa whoa. What? Elaborate.
If they DI up which is the best combo DI, squirtle can still hit them by immediately slingjumping to get under them as fast as possible, then double jumping to get in range then u-air. On most characters by the time this stops working uair usually kills.

if they DI away you can just reverse hydroplane u-smash or wavedash anything or slingjump bair them. And that works pretty much forever until it starts sending them offstage in which you just start an edge-guard instead.

it's not super broken since landing D-smash is quite a commitment and it's only 1 more hit. But if you can move fast enough there's no reason not to go for it.

Last edited:

SoulBoundX

Smash Cadet

Second off, landing withdraw combos into nair/bair guaranteed, of they DI away nair, of they DI in bair.

Fifth, squirtle's tail is intangible at all times, no-one can grab it or hit it. His attacks which are most disjointed because of this are Bair, D-tilt, F-tilt, Uair, and Dair. All of these moves come out really fast and are what you should use for poking with the excepting of dair which is for stuffing almost every recovery in the game (just hit them with the tip of the tail).

Walking out of wavedash is really useful for extending your slide and momentum without committing to anything.

Use his movement to bait out whiffs and exploit openings. Cancel shellshift, his turnaround attack, into JC grab. This is called hydrograb and it's central to how you play squirtle. Hydrograb can cover multiple tech chase options and is basically a feint-grab. It gives squirtle one of the best grab games in smash.

Really you should practice his movement most because it opens up more and more combo possibilities and really starts to get insane with just how much you can do with the character. Since his normal dash dance is meh, you will have to use different patterns of wavedash, shellshift, waveshift (jump cancelling shellshift into a wavedash), slingjump (a frame perfect reverse aerial rush), slingdash (cancelling slingjump with a wavedash), and moonwalking. If you practice the tech skill involved with these 6 movement techniques and use them in various combos like in the video you will basically be threatening the entire stage like luigi, and the entire air like captain falcon while never having to really commit and remaining safe.

Then you throw in hydroplaning techniques to have attacks out while you slide around, and more and more hydrograb attempts to get in (hydrograb can go like 10 different lengths depending on which frame you cancel out of shellshift).

B- turnaround effectively means you are holding the direction you want to turn before you hit b (gently push on the control stick) and you turn in the air without losing momentum or changing direction. Squirtle can shorthop slingjump where he is moving extremely fast through the air while facing backwards, then input the direction change then Down-B to bubble. Squirtle can cover half the stage with this super fast approach and then tech chases from there.

Anything you saw in the video I could explain how to do precisely with inputs if you ask.
Which of the movement options that you mentioned do you find the most practical during gameplay?

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin

What are good ways to practice these movement techniques?

Top Bottom