• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Challenge, by DelxD

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Seeing as we're low tier, I thought we should finally just do a universal, SWF Samus act.

Maybe you'll agree, maybe not, but here it is:

I post some limits on your Samus, or direct you to specific strategies to try, and we ALL TRY IT.

It doesn't have to be total, it doesn't have to be for every game, but we should all work on things together. This includes input on "Challenges" on how useful they are, which Challenges to focus on, which ones help our metagame, etc.

Yes? No?

Whatever. First thing, then.

Focus on fully charged shot for damage (and therefore not killing). This means, patiently "camp" until you have a full charge, then try to unload it for 20+ damage, and repeat. It's ok if you start staling; kill with dtilt on lighter people or spike heavier people. or just fsmash

Tips: FC blast combos into grab at low percents. You can uthrow and get almost a full charge already
uhh missile->charge shot
i personally find that zair->chargeshot doesn't really work, lol

I really think that free 50+ damage just by being patient could be pretty good.
Charge shot is much more reliable than Aura Sphere and stuff. Plus, missiles are great.

Challenge 2. Focus on your Center-Stage game. We already know that Samus is great on the ledge thanks to the Xyro Challenge, so let's keep our opponent on the ledge, pressuring them with missiles and zairs and trying to punish spotdodges.

Mentally, the opponent should be either 1. worried that they're being pressured close to off the stage or 2. comfortable at the edge.
You don't want 2, so barrage them ;o this may not work, but whatever.

Charge your charge shot at this time, btw.

Some things to remember; if you hit their shield while they're standing right next to the ledge, they're gonna fall and grab that ledge. If you're quick enough, you CAN hit them before they grab the ledge, though it's usually uncommon for this to happen. But this is a great way to keep your opponent off the edge

This allow yourself some charging time, or just some zair/homing missile pressure, some utilt or dair threats, or even the threat of a runoff->stage spike.

No matter how safe the ledge is, it's a limited position.

/end contribution attempt

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i dont understand what you are aiming for with this thread. could you explain it a bit more clear?

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Concerning your first challenge, Xyro has recently changed his style to this already. So maybe that's why he's confused. (Or it could be the Texan can't read =O)

Even with this gameplay change, you can still use charge shot as a kill move simply because you can grab OoS and grab out of charging. At high percents, pummel, get some homing missiles in, and voila.

It's an interesting notion that I'd encourage everyone to try out. I like where this thread is going. Keep it up.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
hmmm...... interesting, a thread that tells us what to do?

so we are no minions and expect us to do your biding?

hanh sounds like fun sign me up.

Im really sorry but I just don't understand what you want us to do. Do you want us to try and use CS into a combo?

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
Im really sorry but I just don't understand what you want us to do. Do you want us to try and use CS into a combo?
try to figure out ways to use it as a damage racker rather than a kill move. and if that leads into a combo thats cool to.

try to figure out ways to use it as a damage racker rather than a kill move. and if that leads into a combo thats cool to.
Yeah CS at low %s to grab is just awesome, but I mainly use CS for a KO move, so unless the character is heavy (like Bowser) you won't be seeing a CS for racking up damage from me. ;)

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
Yeah CS at low %s to grab is just awesome, but I mainly use CS for a KO move, so unless the character is heavy (like Bowser) you won't be seeing a CS for racking up damage from me. ;)
hmmm well its easier to kill people with other moves for instance the d-tilt, f-smash, spike ect...

so instead of using those moves to rack use the charge shot because it deals like what 25+% or something like that.

hmmm well its easier to kill people with other moves for instance the d-tilt, f-smash, spike ect...

so instead of using those moves to rack use the charge shot because it deals like what 25+% or something like that.
That is your opinion, that is not a fact, those moves may indeed be stronger then CS, but that does not mean it's easier to kill people, but rather simpler in theory to kill people.

In competitive matches against a person who knows what they are doing, you will not land a spike, and fsmash tilted up only hits some characters, even normal fsmash is a pathetic KO move. Some characters find it easier to DI went sent up as apposed to being sent horizontally, and CS gives you a bit more breathing space, and is harder to punish.

Im one of the few people who save dtilt for the KO, fsmash and spike just don't land against decent players, at least, not as much as you want. I lost my matches against this Diddy (best in UK) because I used fsmash as apposed to CS. F smash's lag got punished to hard and spiking diddy is pretty hard since he can latch onto you pretty easily, dtilt and CS are my own main KO moves.

CS does 26% at full charge, a good amount I admit, but I strictly use it for racking up on HEAVIES not on lightweights. For characters like Ganon, Bowser, Snake etc etc, CS is PERFECT for racking up damage, the 26% really helps, but on lightweights, whats the point? Your wasting a good KO option so early imo.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
True, I think that heavies are a better option to land CS or fsmash as a kill move, dtilt only works for lightweights. Maybe my strategy should change in the case that I fight heavies. I should try landing dtilt when I can against them instead of saving it fully refreshed.

Also, this thread seems like a good idea, at least one of us is bound to find a really useful way of pulling it off. I already am currently doing this first suggestion though, I noticed that my full CS lands more than any other Samus user I have seen. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily translate into a win, especially in dittos. I got consistently 2 stocked by Xyro's Samus and he never got his CS to hit me save a few times.

I already am currently doing this first suggestion though, I noticed that my full CS lands more than any other Samus user I have seen. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily translate into a win, especially in dittos.
Remember that CS is NOT a god send, regardless of how strong it is, it will never even get close to winning you the match, especially against Xyro. He has far more experience then you, so although you may be landing CS after CS, it's knowing what else you can do within this time, don't just rely on CS, make use of other moves such as Usmash and Dsmash, for Samus, these are actually pretty underated moves.

And also, on Bowser, Snake and other heavies, you WILL NOT KO THEM WITH CS. I tried it on Ixis' Bowser, it doesnt KO until 180+, that is FULLY REFRESHED. Ixis wasn't even DIing properly, yet he still lived it pretty comfortably, from near the centre of P stadium. Trust me, dtilt or bair are your best bets. Bair is so underrated, seriously. I know it's not made for spacing but a little bit of work can do wonders.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I think what Delx meant is that users come with challenges for other users, and those users try to meet that user's challenge for a while. They come back, share experiences, ????, profit.

Still confused how it would work out in practice, though.

Xyro77

The Xyro challenge: Take match-ups you think are really hard and play them again but this time play them based off of the ledge. See if it improves your overall win/loss record.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I think we all realized the ledge would be the way to progress (at least I hope so, most Samus users would be stuck on the ledge in matches with GOOD players) It is just most of them dont want to or feel bad doing it.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
This was partially inspired by "Xyro's Challenge" which is focused on the ledge.

I'm thinking about the next one, since the CS one seemed kinda obvious in its shortcomings/advantages.

I'll try to list them;
-Makes opponent more aggressive, and afraid. Depending on how you play, this can be a good thing, or a bad thing.
-Gives you a pretty long ranged punisher for anything stupid.
-I'll stress the first thing again.

Has anyone figured out ways to mindgame into the CS? Just like, as a standalone move. One thing I've done is run off the stage, jump and turn around CS. It never seems like it'll work, but then it does.

Next challenge will either involve foxtrotting or something else lol

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
well i like having the charge shot as a distraction or use it as a set up...

i mean think about it, NO ONE want to get hit by it regardless of % and weight.

so i like using it as a distraction. and if it hits than great extra damage and knock back.

Has anyone figured out ways to mindgame into the CS? Just like, as a standalone move. One thing I've done is run off the stage, jump and turn around CS. It never seems like it'll work, but then it does.
That works ALOT. I've used it in practically every match at one point or another, and I've even used it for some information on charge shot.

At lower percentages, the opponent hardly ever expects - retreating sh dair > CS

It's unexpected, and not as punishable as it sounds tbh.

Mr9 said:
NO ONE want to get hit by it regardless of % and weight.
Lucario would like a word with you :3

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
That works ALOT. I've used it in practically every match at one point or another, and I've even used it for some information on charge shot.

At lower percentages, the opponent hardly ever expects - retreating sh dair > CS

It's unexpected, and not as punishable as it sounds tbh.

Lucario would like a word with you :3
haha okay than one person

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Challenge 2 up. Basically the opposite of the Xyro challenge. Posted up mental strats in original post.

Challenge 3 will probably involve foxtrotting. get ready to get technical ! or at least fast, this IS brawl, nothing is THAT technical.

Xyro77

why am i hated so much? i offer ways to **** and then you go and do the opposite! YARGH!!!!!

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
People know this but don't apply all of it:

1) If you read their get-up->shield, you can dash attack->d-air.
2) If you read their roll, you can d-smash.
3) If you read their ledge attack, you can perfect shield->f-smash.
4) If you read their jump from ledge, you can u-tilt.
5) If you read their ledge drop->attack, you can d-tilt.

If they stay on the ledge, you can homing missile from away and force them to choose an option. If they plank, learn how to counteract planking with bombs/b-air and tether-hogging. Planking is probably the hardest thing Samus has to counter in this situation.

But in general, Samus has good ledge-guarding/punishing moves if she gets into position before they recover from ledge.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
why am i hated so much? i offer ways to **** and then you go and do the opposite! YARGH!!!!!
This is just in case you are losing and they start planking.

Anti-planking, basically.

Or just if you're feeling aggressive that day.

Which, if you are, you SHOULD be playing Melee or at least not Samus. But some people like Brawl and like Samus so that is what this challenge is about.

Yeah.

woo.

Top Bottom