• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jigglypuff...grab release thread? (lol wut?)

MrEh

Smash Hero
What the crap is this thread for anyway?

Grab releases? With Jigglypuff? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!?!?!

Yeah, Jiggs is no Bowser, but I wanted to test if grab releases even worked with Jiggs. It turns out...yeah, there are some grab releases that work. She can do some pretty impressive stuff actually, but I have to say that her grab releases require strict timing, since her window of opportunity is much smaller then Bowser's. To make things easier on yourself, make sure you know what DACUS is. :p

What's a grab release?

Grab releases are when you grab your opponent, and you don't throw them. After a certain amount of time, your opponent will break out of the grab on their own. To start off, let me say that there are two kinds of Grab Releases; ground releases and jump releases.

Ground Releases are when your opponent breaks out of your grab right in front of you. That usually happens if your opponent breaks out while you're pummeling them. After releasing your opponent with a ground release, Jigglypuff will suffer 30 frames of immobility, or half a second. Your opponent will also suffer from 30 frames of immobility. Because of this, Jigglypuff can't do anything to anyone out of a ground release. The only exceptions are Lucas and Ness. DK is also special as well. More on this later...

Jump Releases are when your opponent jumps out of your grab, probably because they were mashing buttons in order to escape. After releasing your opponent with a jump release, Jigglypuff will suffer 30 frames of immobility, or half a second. Your opponent will suffer 50 frames of immobility, meaning that Jiggs has 20 frames to do whatever she wants. The minor exception to this is Jigglypuff herself, who suffers from 49 frames of immobility after getting a jump break. No idea why.

Why are Bowser's Grab Releases so awesome?

A lot of you are now aware that Bowser totally ***** with his grabs. When Bowser grabs his opponents, he can do all sorts of crazy stuff to them. From Jabs, to Tilts, to Klaws, to even his Fsmash. Why can Bowser do this so well though? Why can't anyone else do what he does? That's because his grab is a little different then everyone else's.

As you now know, everyone suffers from 30 frames of immobility after releasing your opponent from a grab. It doesn't matter if you're using Jiggs, Mario, or even Sonic. Everyone suffers from those 30 frames of immobility...except for Bowser, Ness, and Lucas. Bowser, for some unknown Godforsaken reason, only suffers from 20 frames of immobility, meaning that he can do all sorts of crap to people because he has those 10 extra frames. That's why he can pull off all that crazy stuff out of a grab. No one is safe from Bowser...except for DK.

What's the deal with DK?
DK is also special when it comes to grab releases. When DK is released from a grab with a Ground Release, he only suffers 20 frames of immobility. Because everyone except Bowser suffers from 30 frames of immobility, DK will actually recover from being grabbed faster then the person grabbing him. That's why it's useless to try to Ground Release DK, since he'll be able to attack you with his Ftilt, Dtilt, or Jabs while you're still frozen. So basically, don't try it...ever. You'll probably just get hit and look really stupid in the process. And if you're ********, you might even get hit by his Dsmash, and you know how overpowered that piece of crap is.

Why does DK recover so fast?
Ahh, this is an interesting question. You see, all of this was caused by Nintendo's developers. It turns out that a lot of Nintendo's developers are very competitive with one another. They all support certain characters, and they all try to sneak in little advantages for their favorite characters in Brawl. When the President of Nintendo found out about this, he was not pleased. In order to settle this fairly, he decided that all the characters in Brawl would have a singing contest in order to see who would get the best Grab Release advantages.

Bowser came in 1st place, since he beat the living hell out of all the other contestants. He didn't even have to sing, he let his claws do the talking. Because of his 1st place victory, Bowser received the most **** Grab Releases in the game.

Ness and Lucas arrived late due to their bus getting attacked by ghosts, so they ended up arriving a bit after Bowser. The judges let Lucas and Ness sing their duet, since there were no more contestants conscious at the time. Ness and Lucas sang so horribly that the developers decided that instead of giving them an advantage, they would get a disadvantage for singing so bad. As it turns out, Ness and Lucas both got 4th place.

All of the other characters, beaten unconscious by Bowser, were all tied for 3rd place. However, there was one other character who had yet to sing.

Donkey Kong had overslept that day, and arrived at the contest even later then Ness and Lucas. The judges let DK sing, and the judges were in shock and awe by DK's fantastic singing voice. Since Bowser had already won 1st place, they awarded DK immunity to everyone's Ground Breaks, which was the 2nd place prize.

And that my friends, is why pot is still illegal.

What's all this stuff I hear about Ness and Lucas?
Unlike everyone else, Ness and Lucas suffer from 40 frames of immobility when they're released with a Ground Release. Because of that, the entire cast gets 10 free frames to do whatever they want when Ness and Lucas get ground releases. Bowser, being as sexy as he is, gets 20 frames, which is why he absolutely destroys Ness and Lucas out of a grab. Quite a few characters can take advantage of these 10 free frames, Jiggs included. You see, Jiggs can do a pretty hilarious thing to Ness and Lucas. And that thing is called...

CHAINGRABING LOLOLOLOL!!!
I'm certain you've all heard of Marth's chaingrab on Ness and Lucas? Of course you have; the Lucas and Ness boards used to ***** about it every 5 seconds. Funnily enough, they never even mention Bowser's chaingrab, which is even better then Marth's. No idea why, I guess they really just aren't scared of Bowser.

Anyway, it turns out that Jiggs can use her extremely long grab range to chaingrab Ness and Lucas. All you have to do is use a dashing grab out of a Ground Release. If your timing is perfect, you should be able to regrab both Ness and Lucas. This is sort of a novelty though, since it doesn't do a lot of damage, and Ness and Lucas can both try to get Jump Releases in order to escape. Having an extra regrab on your opponent to smack them around can still be used to your advantage though. 6% extra damage may bot seem like much, but every little bit counts, especially if you're using Jigglypuff. If not for the damage, use it for the laughs. It's hilarious.

The three types of Grab Release follow ups
There are three types of grab release follow ups, all of them color coded. They are as follows...

Combo Grab Release

This means that an attack out of a Grab Release will chain and work 100% of the time as long as your timing is correct.

WPWALATDSIC Grab Release
Don't worry if you don't know WPWALATDSIC means. Why? Because I just invented it 5 minutes ago. WPWALATDSIC means "will-probably-work-as-long-as-they-don't-see-it-coming." So in other words, a WPWALATDSIC Grab Release is a Grab Release that doesn't chain, but it is hard to dodge if your opponent doesn't predict it. WPWALATDSIC Grab Releases usually involves you using DACUS, since it comes out so fast and is difficult for your opponent to react to.

Jigglypuff **** Grab Release
These Grab Releases are total ****. That's all that needs to be said.

And finally, the list of Grab Releases
Remember that all of these only work out of a Jump Release. If it says "ledge" before the attack, that means that Jiggs has to grab her opponent right at the ledge for it to work. Pretty easy, considering her dash grab makes her slide a considerable amount.

Bowser
Up Taunt- ****.

Captain Falcon
Up Taunt- ****.

Charizard
DACUS- DACUS works 100%!

Up Taunt- ****.

Diddy Kong
WPWALATDSIC DACUS- Whee!!!

Up Taunt- ****.

Donkey Kong

Up Taunt- ****.

Falco
WPWALATDSIC Ledge Fair- Fair works pretty well. If you delay it a bit, you might be able to sweetspot it. If Falco doesn't have his second jump, go for the edgehog!

DACUS- DACUS works 100%!

Up Taunt- ****.

Fox
WPWALATDSIC Ledge Fair- Fair works pretty well if you fast fall it. If you delay it a bit, you might be able to sweetspot it. If Fox doesn't have his second jump, go for the edgehog!

WPWALATDSIC Ledge Dair- As long as you fastfall it, the Dair is usable against Fox. It can put him in a pretty bad position as well. If he loses his second jump, go for the edgehog, as always.

Up Taunt- ****.

Mr. Game and Watch

Up Taunt- ****.

Ganondorf

WPWALATDSIC Ledge Fair- Fair works pretty well against Ganondorf since he has no fast options to use in air. If you delay the Fair, you can try to go for the sweetspot. Remember that Ganondorf is gimptastic, so try to follow up or edgehog.

Up Taunt- ****.

Ice Climbers
WPWALATDSIC DACUS- Only works if Nana's dead. Otherwise she'll hit you out of your grab,

Up Taunt- ****.

Ike
Up Taunt- ****.

Ivysaur
Up Taunt- ****.

Jiggs :D
Up Taunt- ****.

The Chaingrabbing Jerk
Up Taunt- ****.

Kirby
Up Taunt- ****.

Link
Up Taunt- ****.

Lucario
Up Taunt- ****.

Lucas
DACUS- DACUS works 100%!

Up Taunt- ****.

Weegee
Up Taunt- ****.

Mario

Up Taunt- ****.

Marth
Up Taunt- ****.

Meta Knight
DACUS- DACUS works 100%!

Ledge Fair- Hell yes! The Fair works from a ledge! It even sweetspots!

Up Taunt- ****.

Ness
Up Taunt- ****.

Peach
Up Taunt- ****.

Campachu
WPWALATDSIC Fair- Not useful, since the Fair won't sweetspot.

WPWALATDSIC Rising Pound- Whee!!!

Up Taunt- ****.

Captain Olimar
WPWALATDSIC Fair- Not useful, since the Fair won't sweetspot.

WPWALATDSIC Rising Pound- Whee!!!

Up Taunt- ****.

Spammy McArrow
Up Taunt- ****.

R.O.B.
Up Taunt- ****.

Samus
Up Taunt- ****.

Shiek
WPWALATDSIC Ledge Fair- Fair can work if you fast fall it. It will probably not sweetspot, but at least it'll mess with her recovery. You can try to follow up or edgehog afterwards.

WPWALATDSIC Ledge Nair- Like the Fair, make sure you fast fall it and follow up with something else.

WPWALATDSIC Ledge Dair- Dair absolutely owns if you fast fall it. Try it, it's awesome.

WPWALATDSIC Ledge Rest- Please only try this on Japes. You'll look like an idiot doing it anywhere else.

Up Taunt- ****.

Chuck Norris
Up Taunt- ****.

Sonic

Up Taunt- ****.

Squirtle
DACUS- DACUS works 100%!

Up Taunt- ****.

Toon Link
Up Taunt- ****.

Wario
Nair- Nair works 100%!

Fair- Fair works 100%!

Bair- Bair works 100%!

Uair- Uair works 100%!

Dair- Dair works 100%!

Pound- Pound works 100%!

Fsmash- Fsmash works 100%! (strange eh?)

Usmash- Usmash works 100%! Just do it right out of a dash.

Up Taunt- ****.

Rest- Super ****.

Wolf
Up Taunt- ****.

Yoshi
Up Taunt- ****.

Zelda
Up Taunt- ****.

Zero Suit Samus
Up Taunt- ****.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Awesome Grab Release guide Mr.Eh! :D

In response to why the Ness Boards don't complain about the Bowser matchup, is that without the grab-release Bowser wouldn't be a hard matchup for Ness at all, as for the Marth matchup, we already knew how bad Marth was for Ness, the grab-release just adds on to his advantages.

I feel really bad for Wario. Why does he suffer worse than Ness and Lucas? o_o

MrEh

Smash Hero
I feel really bad for Wario. Why does he suffer worse than Ness and Lucas? o_o
That's because Wario's jump break doesn't send him anywhere. He just floats in front of your face, like a big fat Italian punching bag. That means that pretty much every character in the game has 20 free frames to kill him with. Bowser gets 30 frames, which means he can do all sorts of crap to Wario.

Bowser can Usmash and even Fsmash Wario.

Falcon can Knee Wario.

Zelda can Lightning Kick Wario.

Luigi can Shoryuken Wario.

Snake can Utilt Wario.

Dedede can Usmash Wario.

The list goes on and on...

MrEh

Smash Hero
...That really sucks for Wario. o_o Is his ground break just as bad, or can he escape some of these using a ground break?
Wario's ground release is the same as everybody else's, so yeah, he can escape that way. Escaping with a ground release is pretty hard though, especially if the person grabbing Wario is pummeling him. The only way for Wario to realistically escape with a ground release would be if he didn't try to break out of the grab at all. So it's pretty bad either way.

He's totally screwed against Bowser though. There's no way to escape from him.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This is amazing, this gets you into the Jigglypuff Back Room even if you don't use Jigglypuff because of your superior post quality, good use of sarcasm (You remind me of Thinkaman :)), and great information. This is going into the guide.

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is amazing, this gets you into the Jigglypuff Back Room even if you don't use Jigglypuff because of your superior post quality, good use of sarcasm (You remind me of Thinkaman ), and great information. This is going into the guide.

Bair works on Wario too.
Fixed. :D

Really, what doesn't work on Wario?

Veril

Frame Savant
This thread is amazing. You're awesome.

Lucas players have discussed Bowser's chaingrab at length though.

I can't believe I overlooked the win that is u-taunt. Thank you, sir.

Really though... pick up Jiggs.

Join us... join... us.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Lucas players have discussed Bowser's chaingrab at length though.
I rememeber discussing that with the Lucas boards ages ago. Good times. The Ness boards dismissed it pretty quickly though. The usual "I won't get grabbed" argument. :)

I can't believe I overlooked the win that is u-taunt. Thank you, sir.
I believe that the Up Taunt is her best grab release option, beaten only by Resting Wario. Honestly, it's a grab release option that works on the entire cast. What's there not to love? :D

Really though... pick up Jiggs.

Join us... join... us.
I'm training up my Jiggs as we speak. BWAHAHA!!!

So is there also a 100% chance of not getting hit after taunting? Because that'd be rad.
No, you can still get hit. It's so awesome that it's well worth the risk though.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I'm totally going to up taunt..........

And by that, I of course mean sing at high %'s.

/end ****ing mindgame galore..... xD "wait. what. oh. ****. ****. ****. *rest*."

Totally. Worth. Going. Into. A 10 second combo vid highlight. :D

Ace55

Smash Lord
Wario's ground release is the same as everybody else's, so yeah, he can escape that way. Escaping with a ground release is pretty hard though if the person grabbing is tall enough to lift him off the ground aka not Jiggs, especially if the person grabbing Wario isnot pummeling him because escaping during the grab leads to a ground break. The only way for Jiggs to realistically jump release Wario is holding him over a ledge.
Fixed that for ya.

Rest of the thread is nice but Jiggs easily jump releasing Wario, good luck with that.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Just a friendly question from a random guy who saw this topic: Did you check for ledge grab releases? I only ask as thats where most of Ike's grab releases are at. A lot of characters have the exact same air release as on stage, but some characters, like the Spacies, Sheik, and Ganondorf for example fall downwards, meaning that you can walk-off, hit them farther out with an attack if it has enough range + speed. Ground breaks are also different, but I don't think anyone can attack fast enough to take advantage of this.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
lol i fsmash out of release grabs all day, or run to grab wutever works
That never works..... Never.

So is there also a 100% chance of not getting hit after taunting? Because that'd be rad.
Pimpest idea ever.

I'm totally going to up taunt..........

And by that, I of course mean sing at high %'s.

/end ****ing mindgame galore..... xD "wait. what. oh. ****. ****. ****. *rest*."

Totally. Worth. Going. Into. A 10 second combo vid highlight. :D
So true. I am ashamed to admit it but Jigglypuff has at least 2 completely worthless moves.

Just a friendly question from a random guy who saw this topic: Did you check for ledge grab releases? I only ask as thats where most of Ike's grab releases are at. A lot of characters have the exact same air release as on stage, but some characters, like the Spacies, Sheik, and Ganondorf for example fall downwards, meaning that you can walk-off, hit them farther out with an attack if it has enough range + speed. Ground breaks are also different, but I don't think anyone can attack fast enough to take advantage of this.
No we did not. Good idea, what should check that. That'd be amazing, ground release to sweetspotted fair would be dynamite.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Okay, I did the ledge testing and updated my original post.

Jiggs has some novelty options against Fox and Falco. Even better options on Ganondorf and Shiek.

Jiggs has a sexy option against Meta Knight though. :p

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Okay, I did the ledge testing and updated my original post.

Jiggs has some novelty options against Fox and Falco. Even better options on Ganondorf and Shiek.

Jiggs has a sexy option against Meta Knight though. :p
I am updating all my frame data right now, I have a good way of doing it. So expect new and updated data soon and correct data.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
With the grab release on the edge, I think it varies much more frequently with the ground release and the air release, right (The ground release just sending them down at an angle)?

Therefore, we'd have a little more variety with follow-up options. For ground releases, we could try Release -> Footstool, or Release -> Fast-falling Nair -> Edgehog (more logical against characters with tether recoveries).
For air releases, there would be Release -> Fair, other stuff... Yeah.

I have no tests or attempts to back these up, they're just ideas that make sense in my head.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Okay, so I used it this an online match XD.

Random wifi, and I kept grabbing whoever I saw and up taunted. unfortunately I was attacked, while doing so. Fools who don't understand the art of taunting.

MrEh

Smash Hero
how do u dacus if u can only jump release someone by grabbing them off the ledge?
You can jump release someone anywhere, as long as they try to jump out of your grab.

Random wifi, and I kept grabbing whoever I saw and up taunted. unfortunately I was attacked, while doing so. Fools who don't understand the art of taunting.
These people do not have a sense of humor. :p

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Awsome thread man xD. So does this mean you will be hanging at the jiggs broards? lol if so, ill have to tolorate your sig for quite a while. lol nice thread :chuckle:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Awsome thread man xD. So does this mean you will be hanging at the jiggs broards? lol if so, ill have to tolorate your sig for quite a while. lol nice thread :chuckle:
I like these boards. It's so nice in here...

The thread may be hilarious, but the info is provides really isn't as useful as it appears. In my opinion, this thread was only useful for 2 things.

1. DACUS on Falco and Meta.
2. Ledge Fair on Meta.

Take that as you will.

MrEh

Smash Hero
the release to rest on Wario is very useful.
Yeah, but it's very difficult to pull that off on an experienced Wario.

It's not the timing that's difficult, because that's easy. It's simply getting a jump release, which is really hard since Jigglypuff is grabs low.

A good Wario will try to always get a ground release, so you'll probably only do this on Warios that try to mash out of your grab. The only one who can guarantee Wario a jump release is Bowser, but that's because he can grab Wario again out of a ground release. XD

Top Bottom