• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The mystery of Falcon's sour spot-knee knockdown

Zbruh

Smash Rookie
So I noticed that Falcon's sour spot-knee (tested in Training Mode on Incineroar at 0%) sometimes has a knockdown property. Emphasis on SOMETIMES. I've spent an hour now trying to distinguish the deciding factor. From this I gathered nothing but superstitions of varying probabilities: the sour spot has to - be rising / be fast falled / hit the enemy almost on ground level/ be connected during the knee-animation just after the sweet spot bubble disappears / etc.

Seeing as the repeated employment of buffered sour spot-knee (without fast falling) yielded results seemingly at random, it could be just that - Randomness. Perhaps a memento to the training mode's lacking consistency or (in light of more recent dev. decisions) deliberately designed this way.

I know that this technique has hardly any applications anyway; it lacks the hitstun to serve as a jabreset-setup and could potentially only be extended by a read, but as a Falcon main my priority, first and foremost, is style. And any excuse to bring out the trusty knee is a good one.

Can you help me out; do you know what's at work here?

Zbruh out!

Psychoace

Smash Champion
attacks can only trip if they do not knock the target into the air, so most attacks with trip chances will never trip or will only trip at low percents. The % rate for tripping varies by a lot of different moves. Im not 100% sure of the chances in ultimate but falcon had a 30% trip rate on weak knee and 50% chance on dtilt in s4.

Top Bottom