• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Affiliates - Rumors and Progress

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Link to original post: [drupal=534]The Smash Affiliates - Rumors and Progress[/drupal]

All right, I'll admit - TSA's been stale for the majority of 2008. Because of my lack of activity, the crew's overall activity started to dwindle slowly but surely. Rumors had even spread to thinking that TSA was going to be disbanded.

So here are a few things to clear up.

No, The Smash Affiliates is not disbanding anytime soon. While our presence has somewhat minimized itself for the past year, we are in no way dead as of yet. So then! No more of that nonsense.

TSA's presence in the Brawl community, however, hasn't left much of an impact as it did in the Melee community. Suffice it to say, most of TSA don't like Brawl, and I personally hate hosting it. I feel that many veteran tournament hosts agree with me in saying that Brawl, as a competitive game, brings out more of the negative out of players than it did with melee, where everyone was friendly and largely positive instead. One of the reasons I like to think why I can run successful tournaments is because of how exciting I can make things feel. Brawl can't seem to make things exciting for me, no matter how hard I try.

That brings me to SMASHTALITY IV. The past three SMASHTALITY's have only grown in size, but SMASHTALITY IV's turnout is probably the worst it's ever been, and many people seemed surprised. I'd like to take the blame for posting the rules only 2 weeks prior to the event itself - there was a lack of communication between the venue and TSA, and other complications seeked to delay what should have been a huge TSA event. I would also like to apologize to our out-of-state smashers who had planned on coming, but due to the poor planning, had backed out in the last minutes because of it. I sure wished to have seen you there.

SMASHTALITY V, however, will be a different story. The venue, Virtual Rush, was impressed even by our meager turnout and so has offered a huge sponsor for us to host our next event sometime in February. We don't plan to make the same mistake as we did for our fourth installment of our SMASHTALITY series, so for those who missed out on our events in the past, I urge you not to miss what could be TSA's biggest event yet!

So every now and then, I'll be posting blogs about TSA's progress. Should any members enter tournaments, you can check them out here from now on and see how well everyone's been doing. Just as well, I'll be updating more actively about SMASHTALITY V's progress. This is one you won't forget, folks.

TSA is sticking around, and we're not leaving anytime soon - you better believe it. Hot and Amazing.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think why everyone is confused on the status of TSA is for obvious reasons like:

This post:
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3611003&postcount=4250
or
The six flags trip when you practically said your disbanded

It's awesome to see TSA still around, but it's quite confusing when you keep announcing your retirement from smash.

It's obvious you were disappointed from Smashtality IV, and you seem to put most of the blame on Brawl as you said it brings out the worst of most players. This is completely not the case outside of the couple of d-bags that wouldn't stop complaining like Inui or Atomsk. That's it, everyone else liked pools and enjoyed the tournament.

You pretty much said it yourself finally in this blog post, but you brought upon Smashtality IV's failure on yourself. You can't try to advertise a tournament for almost 2 months with a first post that says info coming soon. You didn't post any information until less than 2 weeks away.

It's great that Smashtality V will probably be bigger, but don't see this as a big frown on the brawl community. You've yet to see tournaments like Critical Hit, C3, or Esticle in person which are quite impressive.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Chibo, where did he "put most of the blame on Brawl?"

I swear to god, it really seems like you can't read sometimes. Here:

"I'd like to take the blame for posting the rules only 2 weeks prior to the event itself - there was a lack of communication between the venue and TSA, and other complications seeked to delay what should have been a huge TSA event."

WoZ is taking the blame. From what I understand, there were a lot of circumstances outside of his control that made communication between TSA and the venue fall apart in the crucial phases of planning, but WoZ is doing what every great tournament organizer needs to do when things don't go as well as planned: man up and take the blame.

His little rant about Brawl had nothing to do with shifting blame about Smashtality 4 and everything to do with clarifying why TSA's activity is going to continue to focus on Melee and why he doesn't want to be responsible for organizing Brawl events. And you can try to say that it's only the odd person here or there that is super negative about Brawl, but when's the last time you've seen a person storm out of a Melee event without shaking his 13 year-old oponent's hand after losing? Shit, I think that Vidjo had every right to do that after his match with Spammer at Smashtastrophe 2, but not only did he shake his hand and stay at the tourney, but he did it with a smile on his face and asked Spam for some friendlies of the exact same matchup (Peach vs. Fox on Pokefloats :p).

pockyD

Smash Legend
I don't get it - is the implication that people who are new to the scene and play brawl are poor sports? Or is it that brawl brings out the worst in us?

There's no excuse for getting all *****y when you lose a match, no matter what game it is.

Ok, maybe if there's a few hundred dollars on the line, but I highly doubt that was the case here.

Brawl is fine. Melee tournaments simply aren't really worth hosting if you want a truly large event; the last brawl tournament here this past weekend had over 300 registered attendees (not counting the freeloaders who just showed up to play friendlies). Melee tournaments would be lucky to get a tenth of that. Fact of the matter is, melee diehards show up to brawl events anyway, because people like us (yes I love melee!!!!!) are there for the community, not the game.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im sorry but i guess some of my comments wasnt directed exactly at this post, its just that this was the most appropriate place to write about it. i was able to check out some topics in the sbr which this was brought up where more blame and worry was placed on brawl and this was the only real public discussion about it.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
No, it's fine. People get the impression that I keep saying I'm quitting when I only come back later on like I didn't say anything.

There's only been one official case where I said I was retiring, and that was at the beginning of 2008, where I put school ahead of everything. Retirement meant I would no longer actively participate in tournaments or train to do so, but it didn't mean I wasn't willing to travel to visit.

Just because a baseball player retires, does that mean he can't sit in the benches and watch the games right in the stadium where he used to play?

In fact, any tournaments I did go to during that time period, I only spent doing so hanging out with other people. Even when it seemed like I was helping out Plank for Pound, I was only doing so because he had asked me to.

The only other case was an April Fool's joke back in 2007.

I'm not sure why people get that impression that I repeatedly say I'm going to quit. If I were truly going to quit this time around, I would have made a formal announcement to everyone about it, but it's not something I've done on mulitple cases.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Oh right, I did "quit" back when I was a noob to also focus on school for like a year, like 2004-2005. I don't really count that because I was just starting out before and no one really knew me.

Top Bottom