• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Combo? Jab > Grounded Up B

Squiiidzoid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5026-5302-6885
Luigi can do Jab 1 and 2 into a Grounded Up B. This means you can guarantee the Grounded Up B hit to get the hard read of an up b, without the huge risk that comes with missing. I don't know why no one has discovered this yet(or if they have, why is no one using it in tournaments?), but it seems a lot safer than Downthrow> Up B, and has more kill power. The way this works, is it puts the enemy in enough hitstun to be stunned before they hit the ground, and then the up b hits them during the small amount of landing lag. I think you can also do Jab> Cyclone, but it doesn't seem guaranteed.

I'm not sure which is better, 1 Jab or 2, it may be dependent on the character type(fastfaller, floaty, normal). If it is, then 1 Jab for floaties, 2 for fastfallers, and idk about regulars. This also works exactly the same at any %, since Jab always has the same knockback and hitstun. You can also do Dtilt> run forwards> Up B during the landing lag. The great thing is the only way to escape from Dtilt>Up B is to jump away, and if they do that and you read it, you can get a combo as long as you like, since they have lost their double jump they can't escape, but they will still be low to the ground, so for instance you could get a very long string of Fairs/Upairs across the stage. And also, characters always have a small amount of landing lag(i think it's 5 frames, not sure) even if they aren't in hitstun or haven't done a move. Also you should be aware that because of the Luigi's Traction, if you do this out of a run and skid to a halt before jabbing, there is a weird glitch where your Jab sends them behind you, sometimes causing the Up B to miss on certain characters, however this works fine if done when standing still or out of a roll/shield. We should think of funny/memorable names for these, especially if they are guaranteed(e.g. "The old one two" or "Super jab finisher"). Even if they aren't guaranteed, i'm sure it would catch your opponent off guard if they're just expecting you to do a regular jab. Please tell me what you think about this. Also on Final Destination this kills Jigglypuff(lightest character) at 50%, and Bowser(heaviest character) at 78%.

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
Thank you for sharing this, for at least I haven't thought about this. It's nice to know another awesome combo to add to the Luigi arsenal. For names, I like "The old one two BOOM".
Luigi is getting serious!

Last edited:

Squiiidzoid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5026-5302-6885
Then why don't top players like Boss use it? I see them landing close up jabs all the time. And what do you mean unreliable? It seems reliable for me, as long as you account for fall speed

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Then why don't top players like Boss use it? I see them landing close up jabs all the time. And what do you mean unreliable? It seems reliable for me, as long as you account for fall speed
It's not a true combo, and the trade off for failing usually equates to a stock

Pyr

Smash Lord
As others said, Jab Canceling's changes make this much harder to do. That said, it was only guaranteed against 2 characters in Brawl, but, in Brawl, jab canceling existed AND up-B was 2 frames faster.

If you're going to Jab > something, do D-Smash or standing grab. Both are frame 6 and both don't leave you as vulnerable as a missed Up-B would.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
its a good mix up, but very punishable and very unreliable. i would only do it if you're not at kill % and have a big enough lead to where it won't hurt you as much.

D

Deleted member

I agree what the others have said. If I were to jab cancel into something, I would go for the more reliable grab.
A jab cancelled Super Jump Punch is pretty unreliable in my opinion and it could result in losing a stock if used improperly. I don't go for such a maneuver as it's very, very risky.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Luigi can do Jab 1 and 2 into a Grounded Up B. This means you can guarantee the Grounded Up B hit to get the hard read of an up b, without the huge risk that comes with missing. I don't know why no one has discovered this yet(or if they have, why is no one using it in tournaments?), but it seems a lot safer than Downthrow> Up B, and has more kill power. The way this works, is it puts the enemy in enough hitstun to be stunned before they hit the ground, and then the up b hits them during the small amount of landing lag.
Its not a garanteed combo at all. none of luigi's jab combos are garanteed in most cases, which is why people usually go for the grab.
This tech is basically pointless unless you're right next to a shulk player in defense mode, you will either not hit the sweetspot in most cases or not hit the opponent at all.

99% of the time, if you REALLY know how to use the down throw up b, its a much safer option than this. when you down throw up b, you want to jump slightly in front of you and hope they DI there, if they don't, just forward air or back air.
It's not a true combo, and the trade off for failing usually equates to a stock
Actually, only about 1/4 of the characters in the game can reliably kill luigi from it from my experience.
As long as you're under 80, you're basically safe in most cases for an up b. But then again I usually use down throw up b so yeah.

Last edited:

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Luigi can do Jab 1 and 2 into a Grounded Up B. This means you can guarantee the Grounded Up B hit to get the hard read of an up b, without the huge risk that comes with missing. I don't know why no one has discovered this yet(or if they have, why is no one using it in tournaments?), but it seems a lot safer than Downthrow> Up B, and has more kill power. The way this works, is it puts the enemy in enough hitstun to be stunned before they hit the ground, and then the up b hits them during the small amount of landing lag. I think you can also do Jab> Cyclone, but it doesn't seem guaranteed.

I'm not sure which is better, 1 Jab or 2, it may be dependent on the character type(fastfaller, floaty, normal). If it is, then 1 Jab for floaties, 2 for fastfallers, and idk about regulars. This also works exactly the same at any %, since Jab always has the same knockback and hitstun. You can also do Dtilt> run forwards> Up B during the landing lag. The great thing is the only way to escape from Dtilt>Up B is to jump away, and if they do that and you read it, you can get a combo as long as you like, since they have lost their double jump they can't escape, but they will still be low to the ground, so for instance you could get a very long string of Fairs/Upairs across the stage. And also, characters always have a small amount of landing lag(i think it's 5 frames, not sure) even if they aren't in hitstun or haven't done a move. Also you should be aware that because of the Luigi's Traction, if you do this out of a run and skid to a halt before jabbing, there is a weird glitch where your Jab sends them behind you, sometimes causing the Up B to miss on certain characters, however this works fine if done when standing still or out of a roll/shield. We should think of funny/memorable names for these, especially if they are guaranteed(e.g. "The old one two" or "Super jab finisher"). Even if they aren't guaranteed, i'm sure it would catch your opponent off guard if they're just expecting you to do a regular jab. Please tell me what you think about this. Also on Final Destination this kills Jigglypuff(lightest character) at 50%, and Bowser(heaviest character) at 78%.
Not to burst your bubble but I discovered this as well a few months ago and brought my findings here as well, after discussion with fellow luigi players and J.millers input it was discovered this is not a true combo at all but still a fantastic mix up. In my state it's known as the Doc combo and still consistently catches some of our best players especially in doubles. Their are multiple limitations to this technique but all it is is a mix up and a good one at that. I can go into further detail on the super specifics as I've spent a lot of lab time digesting the frame data and situations its usefull in, just let me know if you'd like that.

Top Bottom