• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thumb too slow for quick hops? (not short hops)

HeyThereListener

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to practice canceling your first jump with your second jump before you leave the ground as Yoshi. As I understand it you only have 1-2 frames to do so. Once you learn this you can use it as an extension to parries, since you jump out of shield.

I can't see how it's possible, can you practice and learn to tap x or y consistently within 2 frames, if so how? It seems like a distant goal to want to use these with the parry.

There's a video on it but it seems easier said than done. (Also I don't fully understand all of the input choices)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R27kp9G_Pk

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
If you're talking about Double Jump Landing (using the second jump before Yoshi becomes airborne that results in 0 lag) you actually have more lenience than just 1 or 2 frames. Yoshi's jump takes 6 frames before he becomes airborne, meaning you physically cannot double jump until these 6 frames have passed. I just did a little testing which resulted in a 2 frame window in which this can be done (note that I did this in five minutes, so it could very well be wrong).
Frame Counter-----------------------Action:
1-----------------------------------Jump Input
2-----------------------------------Jump Registered
3-----------------------------------Yoshi Squat
4-----------------------------------Jump Animation
5-----------------------------------Jump Animation
6-----------------------------------Jump Animation (Input double jump to DJL)
7-----------------------------------Jump Animation (Input double jump to DJL)
8-----------------------------------Yoshi Airborne (No longer possible to DJL)

Also be aware that pressing an input on a certain frame means the action will be performed on the following frame, meaning that if you input your double jump on frame 6 Yoshi will begin his double jump on frame 7. This is why I have the jump input and jump registered on different frames to avoid confusion.

And yes, this is very doable. I do it with one button, you just have to be quick about it. It just takes a little bit of speed and practice!

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Its really easy if you slide from x to y or y to x after some practice
Yeah, I like to basically lay my thumb across the X and Y buttons and pretty much just hit X then Y with the tip of my thumb then the rest basically in one motion. It's easy to mess up and accidentally hit your A button as well under pressure though.

Top Bottom