• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Time for A Stone Age Smackdown!" Fred Flintstone (The Flintstones) for MultiVersus Support Thread

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord

Who is Fred Flintstone and what is The Flintstones?

Fred Flintstone is the main character of the popular and iconic Hanna-Barbera cartoon The Flintstones. He does not really need much of an introduction due to probably most people around the world knowing this face as well as what The Flintstones is. However, I will talk a bit more about him here for those who want more information.

Fred is a loud-mouthed and aggressive man from the fictional Stone Age town of Bedrock. He is a blue-collar worker who works as a bronto crane operator who is quite accident prone. Despite his temper issues and being overweight due to his eating issues, he is a loving father and husband. He’s also a skilled bowler and a member of the “Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes” Lodge No. 26 to be exact. Fred is the wife of Wilma Flinstone, the father of Pebbles and best friend of Barney Rubble. Finally, as many of you know, his catchphrase is the iconic “Yabba Dabba Doo!”

Now, onto the next part of my first question, The Flintstones is one of many iconic cartoons animated by Hanna-Barbera. The show takes place in the fictional prehistoric town of Bedrock which has modern technology with a prehistoric twist. The show originally aired from 1960 to 1966 on ABC. Originally, the show was titled The Flagstones but was changed to The Flintstones. Initially, the show was received poorly by many critics as far as up to the 80s due to the limited animation and unoriginal episode plots. However, despite harsh criticisms, the show has generally been considered by most an animated classic and has been rerun for decades even beyond its end. The show was also the first animated series to be nominated for the “Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series” but lost in 1961.

Even beyond the show’s initial run, the franchise received multiple spin offs focusing on other characters like Pebbles and Bam-Bam, a theatrical feature, live action movies, an animated crossover with WWE superstars in 2015 (hence where I got the idea to name this thread “Stone Age Smackdown”), the characters receiving cameos in Space Jam: A New Legacy, other Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Harvey Birdman and making appearances in other shows like Family Guy and Fred even cameoing in the reboot of Animaniacs. The brand has made several appearances in theme parks like Six Flags as well as receiving its own theme parks based off of the show. Fred Flintstone even cameoed in that new Adult Swim short Learning With Pibby. There is even an animated film based off of the show in the works as well as an animated reboot series for adults called Bedrock coming out soon which shows the IP is still active. The most famous thing to come out of the franchise is the Pebbles (Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles as well) which the characters have been used to market the cereal brand in commercials.

Why should he be in MultiVersus?

What can I say, Fred Flintstone is super iconic in the cartoon world. I consider The Flintstones part of the holy trinity of Hanna-barbera cartoons alongside Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry. Hanna-Barbera is really lacking in terms of playable characters on the roster aside from Shaggy and Tom and Jerry. Fred Flinstone is one of the faces of Hanna-Barbera for sure. The show is still an active IP and Warner Bros has not forgotten about them. Since Bedrock is coming out real soon and whenever the new animated film comes out, Fred Flintstone would be the perfect character to represent the franchise. The Jetsons comes real close but I feel The Flintstones just beats it in terms of the more iconic IP. DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 even mentioned Fred Flintstone in his Top 10 Most Likely Characters to join MultiVersus article posted on here (good read by the way). Therefore, I feel he is a no-brainer to join the fight alongside Bugs Bunny and Batman. Finally, let’s not forget that funny meme from that one Flintstones video game for the NES (referring to 7 Grand Dad of course).

How can he fight and what content can he bring?

Fred will most likely be a bruiser given his aggressive attitude. I can imagine his moveset consisting of close-range combat as well as even incorporating some references to his love of bowling (and even ballet). Maybe even the Flintmobile could appear for one attack or another or his bronto crane could be referenced as he is a crane operator by trade.

I even believe there was a leak for MultiVersus regarding Fred Flintstone being on the roster but I do not know the validity of said leak. However, I would not be surprised if he got on the base roster.

For his home stage, it would be Bedrock. I would envision the stage being very similar to Onett (one of the Earthbound stages) from the Smash Bros games which would have walkoffs and moving vehicles and dinosaurs. I can envision some remix of the theme song and maybe modders can incorporate the 7 Grand Dad theme in there as MultiVersus seems to buy into meme culture. Overall, Fred Flintstone definitely deserves to be in MultiVersus. He’s on the Hanna-Barbera “Mount Rushmore” and another character for Hanna-Barbera. Let’s yabba dabba doo this!

The Yabba-Dabba Doers (Supporters)
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Wademan94 Wademan94
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
Geoffrey Druyts Geoffrey Druyts
osby osby
Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
ZagarTulip ZagarTulip

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, this retweeting post in the FF support account seems worth noting.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Add me as a supporter, I have a lot of fond memories of the Flintstones, even if Fred himself is not my favorite character from it, he'd definitely be a fun fighter.

I even made a (very, very rough) moveset for him back then:

FRED FLINTSTONE
Universe:
The Flintstones
First Appearance: "The Flintstone Flyer" (September 1960)
Voice Actor: Jeff Bergman
Archetype: Tank

Fred Flintstone is a middle-aged bronto-crane operator who works at Slate Rock and Gravel Company. As a regular blue-collar worker, he constantly schemes ways and comes up with inventions to improve his family's working-class lot in life, often with unintended results. Despite having an abrasive and brash side, Fred nevertheless loves his family and friends above all else. Aside from his prehistoric array of gadgets, he brings a good, old-fashioned elbow grease to the table in the battle against Nothing.

ATTACKS (GROUND)
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT (NEUTRAL)
– Fred CHARGES an ARMORED golf club swing that can REFLECT PROJECTILES.
CAVE TANTRUM (SIDE) – Fred delivers COMBO with a heavy club.
NICE HAT (UP) – Fred dons a Water Buffalo hat and CHARGES an ARMORED jump.
MORNING PAPER (DOWN) – Fred CHARGES a downward slam of his Sunday morning news slab.

ATTACKS (AIR)
BREAK TIME (NEUTRAL)
– Fred holds his lunchbox with both hands and swings it forward as he somersaults.
ROCK HAYMAKER (SIDE) – Fred swings two fists forward, each giving him slight forward momentum.
BEAVER CHAINSAW (UP) – Fred CHARGES a beaver and holds it above his head for an attack that BREAKS ARMOR.
SLATE SLIDER (DOWN) – Fred dons a pair of ice skates and spins around himself to hit multiple times below himself.

SPECIALS (GROUND)
TURKEY STRIKE (NORMAL)
– Fred CHARGES a bowling ball PROJECTILE that can be hit by other attacks and applies WEAKENED on ARMORED opponents. Allies can catch and throw this PROJECTILE.
FLINTMOBILE (SIDE) – Fred CHARGES his iconic vehicle and breaks into an ARMORED dash. If he hits an ally along the way, he carries them to the end of the STAGE. Afterward, the car turns into a breakable HEAVY PROJECTILE. COOLDOWN applies.
ROCK FLIGHT (UP) – Fred jumps on a pterodactyl to take off into the air, carrying allies and GRABBING opponents along the way. After the timer of this move ends, it gives Fred a throwable egg PROJECTILE.
HIGH VOLTAGE (DOWN) – Fred accidentally holds an eelasaurus cable and deals ELECTRIC damage around himself before shaking it off with a punch. If nearby an ally, he gives them both a SHOCK buff while reducing their cooldowns. COOLDOWN applies.

SPECIALS (AIR)
BRONTO-STEAK (NEUTRAL)
– Fred eats a large steak to give himself STRENGTHEN, HASTEN and SHIELD for a short period. Creates a healing bone item that can be used by allies upon use. COOLDOWN applies.
HOME RUNNER (SIDE) – Fred CHARGES to aim a reticle. On release, he will throw a baseball and dash to that location with a powerful ARMORED baseball glove punch.
ROCK FLIGHT (UP) – Same as ground.
HIGH VOLTAGE (DOWN) – Same as ground.

Mr Hairyman

Smash Cadet
I support! Fred feels like a must have for MultiVersus. A Flintstone stage and some sort of Flintstone vitamin skin or color swap for Fred would be cool as well!

Also, there appears to be an update for the new Flintstone movie. It looks like this film will be a origin movie and written by the directors of The Super Mario Bros Movie.

Top Bottom