• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for someone trying to get good with Sonic?

Ultarix

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcus45662
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any good Sonic tips, or knew of any tutorials?

I've been trying to find some tutorials everywhere, but have had no luck.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I recommend watching other players first to get a general idea on what to work on, you can find some matches in the video thread or in the Social thread by different players with different playstyles. From what I can tell you Sonic is a character that relies more heavily that other characters on baiting opponents attacks or catching opponents off guard to make a succesful approach and punish. This is made easier thanks to Sonic really good dash dance and running speed, also his moving hitboxes with side b, down b and homing attack, which you can all be combo'ed out of depending on percentage. As Sonic you must take advantage of your mobility. Also Sonic has a really good if not the best recovery in the game (In my opinion), since you can get back from anywhere by utilizing things such as homing attack towards the stage, side b, wall jump, spinshot and spring. Also be sure you are watching videos of PM 3.0 and up since below that it is not as relevant.

Ultarix

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcus45662
I recommend watching other players first to get a general idea on what to work on, you can find some matches in the video thread or in the Social thread by different players with different playstyles. From what I can tell you Sonic is a character that relies more heavily that other characters on baiting opponents attacks or catching opponents off guard to make a succesful approach and punish. This is made easier thanks to Sonic really good dash dance and running speed, also his moving hitboxes with side b, down b and homing attack, which you can all be combo'ed out of depending on percentage. As Sonic you must take advantage of your mobility. Also Sonic has a really good if not the best recovery in the game (In my opinion), since you can get back from anywhere by utilizing things such as homing attack towards the stage, side b, wall jump, spinshot and spring. Also be sure you are watching videos of PM 3.0 and up since below that it is not as relevant.
Alright, will do.

Thanks.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Go fast. Speed. Speedy. Spindash, Nair, Fair, Spring Projectile, and Homing attack are your best friends.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
hey so I recently picked up Sonic too, and was wondering a couple things:
1) How does homing (Neutral B) work? I don't always fly toward my opponent, or towards the stage. Is there a way to control it?
2) When do i use Side B vs Down B? It seem they accomplish similar goals, except that I can grab the ledge with Side B and Down B lasts longer.

Thanks.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
guys i know watching videos helps when learning a char. buti havent seen any sonic 3.0 videos ._. can anyone show me where to find some?

GabPR

Smash Lord
video thread in sonic forum, there are loads of 3.0 material there in the recent posts

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
instead of wavedashing for edgehogging, dash off and hold down side B towards the stage. it's quick and safe

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
instead of wavedashing for edgehogging, dash off and hold down side B towards the stage. it's quick and safe
Just to be clear, it's holding side-B that makes it safe, correct? I think that's my problem. Not holding side-B, which results in Sonic drifting into abyss under the stage.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
S.B.P.

Space
Bait
Punish

Keep those 3 in mind when playing Sonic and drop him right now if you can't because you will get knock around like a ping pong ball.

Ultarix

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcus45662
S.B.P.

Space
Bait
Punish

Keep those 3 in mind when playing Sonic and drop him right now if you can't because you will get knock around like a ping pong ball.
I went to a friends yesterday and played with him, I was getting knocked around until I started spacing it out and messing with his head. I think it worked out nicely lol

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
1) How does homing (Neutral B) work? I don't always fly toward my opponent, or towards the stage. Is there a way to control it?
If your opponent is out of range, Sonic will just fly straight. The range of the homing attack is deceptive, it takes time to get used to it and it's not as good as some seem to think it is (but also not bad). The angle in which he flies can also be avoided, which ends up with Sonic doing a weird curve through the air and missing your opponent.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
It also won't work if your opponent is in invincibility frames. Grabbing the ledge, spot dodging etc.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I like to use Sonic's mobility to my advantage for mind games, like I'll bait opponents to chase after me if I can, run in one direction, immeadiately spin dash in the other for a quick set up, if I want to get in I'll either use his forward air after a short hop or side special which I use most often because the fact that you can jump cancel that is good for fake-outs. One particular fake-out I like to do is side special + jump cancel backwards + down special while I still have air time + jump cancel forward + get in with either a dive kick, homing attack, side special or down special.

I'm also comfortable enough with Sonic that I'll use the spring in crafty ways, like timing it just right over an edge for edgehogging or using it as another fake out tool by using it just as you're about to land near the opponent, it's not a method people see often so you're likely to successfully have the spring deal some damage, it's not big damage mind you but it's good for throwing the opponent off guard.

And finally since Sonic has trouble getting kills, I like to use Sonic's air game and recovery to take some pretty nasty risks I'll admit so if I've knocked my opponent off the field, I'm going to try what I can to force them off screen by meeting them in the middle of their recovery.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Getting good with him takes a bit. At least to be consistently winning. When I first picked him up I got my butt kicked every match. I'd say getting good with him is learning when to use all of your moves. Mostly all of his moves are good in different situations. Getting out of combos with spring into dair will help a ton. Also as everyone said learning to bait, bait them in and then when they show the slightest bit of lag run in there for a grab into up throw, and then follow up. Also get good at wave dashing out of side b, it can really help with species and such. Also fair out of shield is very useful, since at certain percents it will knock them up, or give you enough hit stun to lead into stuff. Learn your defensive options as well as your offensive.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
2) When do i use Side B vs Down B? It seem they accomplish similar goals, except that I can grab the ledge with Side B and Down B lasts longer.

Thanks.
  • The homing attack's horizontal targeting distance is 5 and 1/2 blocks and the vertical distance appears to be the same.
  • Homing attack always targets the closest NON-invulnerable target.
  • Only characters are targets (waddle dee's and pikmin are not targets). Smash balls are not targets :(
  • The homing attack, from start to launch lasts about 26 frame (needs confirmation)
  • Sonic will aim for the head or face of a standing or crouching target (some exceptions when aiming from behind the target)
  • The last 1 or 2 frames (i don't know which frame) before the attack is released determines the target.
  • The last frame before the attack is released locks the trajectory.
  • IF no target is acquired sonic will preform a blast attack.
Sonic launch's at a fixed trajectory so he will miss if his target moves. for example snake can duck the moment sonic fires to completely dodge the move and marth can run at sonic and sonic will go over marth.

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
for anyone wanting to get better with sonic, i recommend start at looking at sonic player's like wizrobe. But the main thing i find is learning how to control your side B and down B. If you can keep sonic's momentum going throughout the match, most players can't adapt to it on the fly, and of course fix them up with doing the side B full attack, homing attack and Nair. to kill with sonic, i recommend landing down or forward smash. take them off the top with homing attacks and Uairs. you can also try Bairs and his meteor smash Fair. Hope that helps

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
How do you turn around mid Homing Attack with Sonic? Ex: http://youtu.be/fuhZYROAFSQ?t=41s (if timestamp doesn't work for you, try @ 0:41). Also, how do you consistently Down B, turn around, jump, then nair/bair? For me a lot of the time the person doesn't get dragged with me or they are too far away to bair/nair. Ex: http://youtu.be/iRZQC9rEyek?t=8s I've seen it work at a percent other than 0.
*edited this post for whomever saw it already*

So in that first video in order for you to turn the homing attack around, what you do is lightly move/tap the control stick in the opposite direction of where you are facing and press B. Essentially is the same thing as when you reverse Ganondorf's neutral B. As for the second one that one seems self explanitory in a sense. I couldn't really explain how to do it, as I don't exactly know how yet I've done it before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom