• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for the Meta Knight matchup?

GalaxyWaffles

Smash Apprentice
I find myself really struggling against meta knight and have no clue what to do. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. It's such an attrocious frustrating matchup.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight's range stinks. If you constantly move while using your lagless projectile techs like short hop Header and Sun salutation landings, you can actually evade most of his moves and punish him on reaction. Specifically, landing during the charge animation of Sun Salutation gives you the ability to either grab, shield jump, side step, or block in addition to just shooting it. When combined with turnarounds, this can really frustrate Meta Knight's approaches. Staying at a distance also gives you an opportunity to avoid and punish his B moves. Offstage, you can use your superior air mobility to maneuver around his Nair and back air. If you stay near the ledge for a moment, you can condition them to try to stage spike you, which you can then avoid and punish by hovering above or below the ledge. I usually hover below and then Up B or Header. Header can spike his Up B with proper timing, and you can bait this by forcing him to use his jumps offstage. Despite his size, Meta Knight is still easily comboed. Just create openings with your projectiles and go to town.

If they try to adapt by jumping over your projectiles, you can either use your Header Feint Ftilt or set up a Fair-Salutation wall. The salutation covers the ground, and while it's moving, you run forwards and do a retreating Fair so you end up back where you started. This can be combined with landing while charging your Sun Salutation to mix up your wall's options. Remember, every fully charged Salutation heals you for 2% regardless of whether he shields or not, so you can actually use this time to heal through Meta Knight's combo damage.

If you feel pressured or he tries to combo you, just DI offstage while timing your air dodges. Meta Knight wants you close to him in the air so he can Up B you, so make him work for it. Plus, if he follows you offstage, he wastes more jumps, which can lead to easy spikes (this works for most multi jump characters like Pit, Kirby, Charizard, etc. plus Yoshi).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm tired so I'm not up for writing a huge analysis so these are my basic thoughts on the match up: this match up was made a lot more manageable thanks to the grab and smash attack patches. Overall, WFT has better range and good ways to keep him away but things can get ugly quick if he stays on top of her. These two are almost equals off stage but I feel that WFT has the advantage thanks to multiple spikes, a wall jump, and air stalling options.

Top Bottom