• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Poltergust or not to Poltergust. That is the question. Luigi's moveset's possible changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Tethers aren't good options, they're very risky...

They're easily edgehogged and even if you grab the ledge, you can get hit before pressing up, which usually will make you lose a stock...

You never saw Olimar, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Link or Toon Link getting hit while they do this?

Another thing: Luigi has a hard time doing OoS stuff like Shield Grab or punishing because his low traction pushes him backwards considerably...

Having the Poltergust as a grab would at least make the Shield Grab easier, as it's range would be bigger...

I never said it would be good haha. I wonder how much lag it might have though if it were a grab.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd love to the the Poltergust implemented in Luigi's moveset. It could work the same, but replace the green missile, replace his down-b and suck and shoot enemies up (like Wario's bite, he bites, chomps and throws) or could be a Final Smash.

As his FS, I want to see him pull it out, start to use it, but it malfunction and ghosts spew on to the stage. Luigi ducks into his hat and hides while the ghosts + King Boo rampage all over the stage.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Let Luigi throw with the Poltergust. Maybe give him a new final smash involving it too. Other than that, don't change his specials. No need for it to be a tether though, just a long ranged throwing option.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, seeing as how there are now two games with Luigi's Poltergust I think there's a far greater chance he will get in some facet.
I like the idea of it being used for grabs, but his FS is what needs help (I actually like it, it's just is from out of nowhere). So, I'd rather it be his FS.
Didn't they say something about extending the Year of Luigi into next year? Maybe we'll get some sort of Poltergust for smash.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
It could be that it shoots fire, water, or ice. Chosen at random. Fire works like fire flower but less damage to keep from being cheap, ice to freeze, and water to act like flood.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would rather have Luigi use it for a long ranged grab. But he'd be unable to have it double as a tether like Samus and Link can. He could also use it for his Final Smash option too, by sending out a bunch of ghost. At least, that's what I would do.

Morbi

Scavenger
I used to think that the Poltergust was the obvious and creative thing to do; however, I suppose Luigi works the way he does for a reason. It has the potential to make Luigi the most unique veteran in the game, but at the same time, it is already essentially confirmed that it will play a minor role (if anything). I find that to be disheartening, as he could be so much more, but at the same time, his mains probably wouldn't appreciate the change as he plays quite differently than Mario at this point in time. Using it as a gimmick for a move or two is always an option to at least nod to the notion that he actually has it, but at this point, it isn't necessary.

Ividboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ividboy
3DS FC
4098-4898-5270
Luigi really should keep his final smash. ZA WAURDO from JoJo was funny as hell, and exactly in his character, and it was great for landing close range shoryukens. I think that using his poltergust as a ranged grab sounds great to me. Being able to sustain it and walk with it on would buff his grab game immensely.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It makes the most sense as a down special. If Sakurai doesn't give Luigi the Poltergust in this game then I don't even know what to say. Mario having FLUDD (Which he used in one game) and Luigi not having Poltergust (Which he's had in two games now, two of the only games in which he is the sole main character) is and would be utterly moronic.
Sakurai proves once again that he's no moron.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

Aweeee poltergust 3000 confirmed for final smash...which basically confirms that it wont be apart of Luigi's regular moveset! D: Was really hoping for some kind of OP grab, o well looks pretty sweet regardless.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see Luigi's Final Smash is the Poltergust. It makes more sense.

I would hate it if it replaced the Luigi Cyclone. As a Luigi main, this move was useful in helping Luigi recover. Getting rid of it would greatly worsen it.

I am more than glad that it replaced his Final Smash. The Negative Zone made little sense and that dance made it nearly useless. By the time the dance was over, the opponents have most likely escaped.

Overall... I'm glad to see the Poltergust 5000 be his new Final Smash. I can't wait to see it in action!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I would have preferred it as down special.
Luigi already has green missile to recover. He doesn't really need the cyclone.
Mario on the other hand.... he needs a recovery buff.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I would have preferred it as down special.
Luigi already has green missile to recover. He doesn't really need the cyclone.
Mario on the other hand.... he needs a recovery buff.
You never know sakurai could just be trolling again, In the quote he never states it's a final smash, It could be that he just hasn't activated his real FS yet and that's just another move

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
You never know sakurai could just be trolling again, In the quote he never states it's a final smash, It could be that he just hasn't activated his real FS yet and that's just another move
I believe it has been pointed out (somewhere) that the screenshot is quite dark and some Final Smashes darken the stage when activated, meaning he has activated it. The Boxing Ring is normally very bright stage, so there may be some merit to that.
Though, that said, it could be taken immediately upon activating the Final Smash before anything happens and it is just another move.

But it's probably his FS.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Guys, there is hope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQcIX2p844

go to 00:54 and you will see that right when jigglypuff grabs the smash ball it then goes dark, even without her using it. So Luigi could be using a new special here, but Sakurai is making it seem like a final smash. If this is the case then this is next level trolling and Sakurai loves ****in with us lol

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
Yeah! And that move where wii fit trainer attacks with colored manaquins is probably just her over b!
I'm pretty sure it's his final smash sorry guys :(

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Yeah! And that move where wii fit trainer attacks with colored manaquins is probably just her over b!
I'm pretty sure it's his final smash sorry guys :(
The difference is that Wii Fit Trainer is actually shown performing that move and it's clearly a Final Smash. With this, all we have to go by is a picture. The picture definitely implies that it's his Final Smash, but we aren't actually seeing the move performed, so it could still be a special move, especially considering we haven't seen Luigi's down special yet.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Guys, there is hope!
Hope for what? For Luigi to keep his out-of-character, nonsensical Final Smash?

Sakurai can be a jerk from time to time, but I highly doubt that he would take such a circumstantial picture just to trick us into thinking a move is one thing when it's actually another. There's no point to it. Giving Luigi a new, relevant Final Smash allows the character to be updated to his modern incarnation without fooling too much with a character that's been more or less the same since day one.

I mean, look what happened to Mario. I think there's like, one guy in the entire world who actually liked the FLUDD.

Last edited:

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
The difference is that Wii Fit Trainer is actually shown performing that move and it's clearly a Final Smash. With this, all we have to go by is a picture. The picture definitely implies that it's his Final Smash, but we aren't actually seeing the move performed, so it could still be a special move, especially considering we haven't seen Luigi's down special yet.
You don't know that wii fit trainer's over b move doesn't just zoom the camera in and make dramatic sounds and attacks with an insane move. Obvious satire is obvious and usually a part of satire is the use of hyperbole.

I'm sorry guys but honestly all this "projection" that Sakurai may be trolling just seems like wishful thinking.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I'm sorry guys but honestly all this "projection" that Sakurai may be trolling just seems like wishful thinking.
I don't think Sakurai is trolling, I'm just playing devil's advocate. There is nothing to prove that the poltergust is Luigi's new FS, Sakurai didn't even mention Final Smash in his comment. The only thing we're going by is the glow. So even though I think it is his new FS, I'm not going to assume.

Also, no wishful thinking on my part. I'm fine with it being his FS.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
It is pretty much safe to say this is his final smash. (Glow). Sakurai is not trolling. Question is, what does the Poltregust do? Suck everyone up like cook kirby?

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Well, there were certain circumstances leading to the type of character Luigi is in Smash Bros. On the N64, Luigi had no own game. Sakurai however wanted to put him in the game and after all the moves had to remind people of the Luigi from the Super Mario Bros games. On the Gamecube, Luigi's Mansion was released. This title gave us a way to create a new moveset for Luigi. However Sakurai decided to not let Luigi's Mansion influence Luigi's moveset. When Brawl was released, there was still only one game of the series and therefore it seemed as if there were no interest in another game of the Luigi's Mansion series. So why integrate the poltergust? Now with Luigi's Mansion 2 he had a good reason to put the poltergust somehow in Luigi's moveset. Luigi's Mansion wasn't anymore a stand-alone-title, but from now on can be seen as a series. (not to mention the success of the second installment)
As Smash Bros is to a certain extend fanservice, Luigi has to be adapted. Otherwise Luigi's Mansion fans who want to play their favorite hero, won't find a single element in Luigi's moveset remembering them of Luigi's appearance in LM2. I think it's a good step, especially in order to promote Luigi's Mansion 2.

Of course someone who has always liked to play as Luigi would be confused with a completely changed moveset. So changing only 1 or 2 moves would be fine already.

Therefore I'm already fine with how it ended up Sakurai included the poltergust in some way.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
It is pretty much safe to say this is his final smash. (Glow). Sakurai is not trolling. Question is, what does the Poltregust do? Suck everyone up like cook kirby?
He could've just not activated it, I mean this is sakurai. I just really want it to not just be restricted to a final smash

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Probably similar except you get to move while using it. It would be cool if you could suck up items for extra damage too.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
The likely hood of this not being a final smash is low. Why would they have him have the smash ball?
The likeliness isn't that low: It's Sakurai after all. There's often a reason for not saying clear enough "This is Luigi's new final smash! Enjoy!" He likes to play with our expectations ;)

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
W
The likeliness isn't that low: It's Sakurai after all. There's often a reason for not saying clear enough "This is Luigi's new final smash! Enjoy!" He likes to play with our expectations ;)
hen has he really done that other than Phosphora? I haven't kept up enough. Most of it is us making false pattern recognition, but Sakurai very well had to break the smash ball for that pic, so it wasn't an accident. He is 100% aware people would make that as a Final smash. BTW, newcomer reveals are videos, so with Phosphora you could have seen it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom