• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's worst matchup?

Bizzy

Smash Apprentice
I generally have trouble with Samus and Link I don't deal with projectile pressure well at all. I guess its a taste of my own medicine ha, but what about you guys?
Thoughts?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
First I wanna say that I love your sig. Personally I have issues with characters that can rush you down and keep up pressure and not allow me to set pace with projectiles.

Bizzy

Smash Apprentice
First I wanna say that I love your sig. Personally I have issues with characters that can rush you down and keep up pressure and not allow me to set pace with projectiles.
Preciate it!
For constant shield pressure I usually nair or up-b out of shield, both of them come out so quick and it gives me a little bit of time to reset back to neutral and start pressure of my own.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I have a very difficult time with Zelda. It may be match-up inexperience on my part but she can deal with the projectiles pretty well, and has some of her own. Plus approaching from anywhere but underneath (what's up) is tough.
I used to have a rough match against Marth, and still sort of do, but I just augment my game play a bit depending on characters. Tink's got a lot of tools so there isn't tooooo much he can't deal with.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I personally find Wolf to be the most difficult due to a combination of his really good movement, combo game, pressure and CC punishes. Could also see it being Falco, though.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
the lasers maaaaan. good thing with falco though is i have an easy time tech chasing him since he falls so fast, you can harass him with dash attack and it will send him more horizontal than diagonal, plus regrabs for days.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I generally have trouble with Samus and Link I don't deal with projectile pressure well at all. I guess its a taste of my own medicine ha, but what about you guys?
Thoughts?
What did you think the MU was like against the marth players in our area?
I never tried it out, and I got a pretty good TL. I'm to scared to pull my trap card.

Last edited:

Bizzy

Smash Apprentice
What did you think the MU was like against the marth players in our area?
I never tried it out, and I got a pretty good TL. I'm to scared to pull my trap card.
I never really got an opportunity to play any Marth users, but I know that MU pretty well so it isn't really a hard one for me.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I never really got an opportunity to play any Marth users, but I know that MU pretty well so it isn't really a hard one for me.
I think I'm going to pull my toonlink out of hiding. I don't care if he isn't tall enough to ride that Marth! nohomo

Last edited:

Shrug

Smash Cadet
I personally find Wolf to be the most difficult due to a combination of his really good movement, combo game, pressure and CC punishes. Could also see it being Falco, though.
I don't have any experience with Wolf, but I agree with Falco being a hard matchup. His pressure just doesn't give Toon Link the room he needs to operate.

Last edited:

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys played any good ganons? He is pretty ridiculous. The reach of his attacks and his weight. Not to mention his priority. Though ganon is a slow character my friend shwick has been working on his ganon for months and honestly he is beast and quicker than you would expect. I try and put pressure on him with quick swipes but he just eats the hit and im still in reach to get a boot to the face. And tinks reaction time isnt the best

HaZarD2kv

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaZarD2kv
I actually disagree with you cannedbread, Mewtwo can reflect his projectiles if you stay in front of him, but overhead he has a problem with handling Toon Link. I think it's a decent match up. Marth hurts Toon Link something fierce and any character who can dash dance to tech read grabs. His roll tech is terrible. That may be why Sonic is good against him.

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys played any good ganons? He is pretty ridiculous. The reach of his attacks and his weight. Not to mention his priority. Though ganon is a slow character my friend shwick has been working on his ganon for months and honestly he is beast and quicker than you would expect. I try and put pressure on him with quick swipes but he just eats the hit and im still in reach to get a boot to the face. And tinks reaction time isnt the best
Ganon has a very hard time dealing with projectiles currently, you can force him to play your game by throwing things at him. Just remember to always tech so you dont get rekt for free by followup fairs and dairs,

HaZarD2kv

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaZarD2kv
Jolteon, Wolf is an easier match up for Toon Link, but Falco can keep Toon Link locked down with lasers and pillar combos. Toon Link has great movement until he starts getting juggled. I feel when he is getting juggled and tech read a lot, that is when he is in the worst spot.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Ganon has a very hard time dealing with projectiles currently, you can force him to play your game by throwing things at him. Just remember to always tech so you dont get rekt for free by followup fairs and dairs,
Ganon does have a hard time against projectiles but when he is jumping around them, or wizards footing through into my face they dont do too much. Tink can easily be chain grabbed by ganon and very easily KO'd at a low percentage

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I would say consistently, besides personal MU problems that spacies will always be difficult. Fox can gimp you easily and Falco and Wolf can just rush you down. But I will say Tink can combo them very well so as long as you get your combos and run and away, then repeat it shouldn't be too bad. But that is easier said than done... Haha.

If you whiff a grab.... You. Will. Die.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Pick a stage that isn't small. When it's his stage pick, if he picks something that is small, glide toss from the top platform as often as possible. On Yoshi's Island he'll get hit by bombs from under the platform unless he stands on very edge or crouches.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Yea his favorite stage is green greens, I think Thats the name of it. If I have a stage with platforms I have an easier time. I just evade by wave landing and what not. Grabbing is a good way to rack up the damage on him. On green greens he has an issue there as well. Up b is a beast and I can get it off from something as easy as a grab, or up tilt, upsmash etc. Its a very powerful move and I dont see people use it enough. But with the small blast zone on top of his crappy recovery I can knock him out pretty easily. Another thing to remember against a ganon is that he can actually chain grab you at low percents. My friend can grab me about five times even when I di. It sucks

Top Bottom