• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble on small stages

snapcaster

Smash Rookie
Anyone know how to approach well when they counter pick stages you can't safely shop bacon? The mix of dtilts and shop dairs against decent players are just not enough.

GuccitheGreat

Smash Rookie
I feel like small stages are best for gaw. I like ftliting for spacing and dthrow hard reading alot.

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
I feel like small stages are best for gaw. I like ftliting for spacing and dthrow hard reading alot.
I agree with this. Small stages are good for G+W because many moves have good range and allow you not to get out-spaced (bacon is good for mid ranged, he has no long range game)
Also remember, you are really light. They can kill you off at low percents regardless of the size of stage, so you might as well choose the smaller stage for killing them faster. Especially consider this also- think of which moves you commonly kill with on G&W. I go for both horizontal kills (sourspotted Dsmash, judge, ftilt, nair,,fair) and horizontal kills (sweetspotted Dsmash, usmash, fsmash at far end, rare high percents with Uair, utilt, and dtilt). I like FoD specifically because of the small horizontal space and a workable average/lowish ceiling.
When choosing stages for G&W, don't factor in his poor survivability much over your killing potential.

MrWatchandLearn

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrWatchandLearn
3DS FC
0387-9318-8151
Small stages I feel are intimidating for newer G&Ws but as you learn him and his combo game smaller stages become a more comfortable pick since you learn to combo into F-air and N-air both of which are great horizontal kill moves, so stages like Wario Ware although being small can be a favorable pic for G&W despite how light he is

MrWatchandLearn

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrWatchandLearn
3DS FC
0387-9318-8151
Small stages I feel are intimidating for newer G&Ws but as you learn him and his combo game smaller stages become a more comfortable pick since you learn to combo into F-air and N-air both of which are great horizontal kill moves, so stages like Wario Ware although being small can be a favorable pic for G&W despite how light he is

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
Dreamland is a great and versatile counterpick, since G&W's recovery is much better than that of most characters. This means that G&W can get knocked way out to the blast zone but still make it back, and others with bad recoveries get knocked out maybe half as far before they're toast.

Notable exceptions include ROB, Peach, and like, Charizard maybe. Pretty much anyone with a dumb horizontal recovery.

This pick is especially good against Marth due to the realest curse of all time. It also works against anyone that primarily looks to KO off the top. The wind can also throw off some people, and although minor, it can give you extra opportunities to punish.

Korosis

Smash Rookie
I personally like smaller stages or ones with small sides and high ceilings, but larger stages are good if you are confident on your ledge game/completing edgeguards.

Top Bottom