• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tryin ta pick up roy, just havin a little trouble...

andyzond

Smash Cadet
'kay. I love fire emblem, and dislike marth, so I decided to try Roy.

He is incredibly cool, and I can pick up his combos and stuff well its just that..
I can't get back.

very often I am knocked off and just can't.. get the distance back to the stage, it is REALLY frustrating. I tried his b<> and still he doesn't go very far.

I just wanted to know if there was a better way to get back, or maybe I'm b<> wrong ...?
thanx
-andy

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
You're supposed to do just sideB ONCE, so only the red swipe happens, and you can do it as often as you want, you just gain less and less height each time. If that's not the problem, then you're outta luck.

The best advice for picking up Roy is: Pick up Marth. Seriously.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Marth's recovery pwns Roy.

In any case, Roys ^B can be pointed in a more horizontal direction. Just after you initiate the move, tilt the control stick in the desire direction.

Your last issue, I think, is poor DI (if you know what that is :)). Practice that, and you probably won't have as many issues.

Noodlesis

Smash Rookie
If you're really close to the edge you could always mid-air dodge, it might get that last little bit, as it goes right instead of up...

But I could be loopy.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Marth's a floatier character, his double jump is better, >b is slightly in Marth's favor. His ^b is is better in vertical recovery, while Roy's horizontal recovery with ^b is better. I have no idea of weight, but they are approximately the same.

In short, Marth > Roy in recovery.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
idk wtf you guys are talking about. i objectively hate roy, but i know that his recovery is one of the best in the game because of its huge *** hitbox. it is very hard to edgeguard roy, unless you are a super fast character like fox.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Id put Yoshi at the bottom, Yoshi's 2nd jump is good, but after that it can only dodge. Bowsers and DK's arent too good, while they gain alot of horizontal, if they are beneath the stage they are practically dead.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
idk wtf you guys are talking about. i objectively hate roy, but i know that his recovery is one of the best in the game because of its huge *** hitbox. it is very hard to edgeguard roy, unless you are a super fast character like fox.
The hitbox does make it harder to edgeguard roy, if you're not used to it...but for actually getting back to the stage, hes pretty horrible. His falling speed is really fast, and his up-b travels roughly half as far as marth's does.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
The hitbox does make it harder to edgeguard roy, if you're not used to it...but for actually getting back to the stage, hes pretty horrible. His falling speed is really fast, and his up-b travels roughly half as far as marth's does.
ive always found that if i die, it isnt because i was gimped, it was because i was at a high percent and i got smashed. i dont expect roy to be peach or samus, but id say hes just as good as marth in terms of distance (cuz you can go more horizontally) but has more priority, a larger hitbox, and more hits on his upb, making it hard to edgeguard him.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Trust me, one of the reasons i play marth is because his recovery is alot better. When i do play as roy, there are times where i won't even reach the ledge, when i know marth could make it all the way back to the stage.

For a quick example...when fox shines you off the edge. Roy up-bs, and barely makes it to the ledge, so all fox has to do is edgehog. But when marth gets shined of the edge, he can up-b all the way back to the stage.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Trust me, one of the reasons i play marth is because his recovery is alot better. When i do play as roy, there are times where i won't even reach the ledge, when i know marth could make it all the way back to the stage.

For a quick example...when fox shines you off the edge. Roy up-bs, and barely makes it to the ledge, so all fox has to do is edgehog. But when marth gets shined of the edge, he can up-b all the way back to the stage.
i guess its a matter of opinion then, cuz i think teh advantages of the huge hitbox, high priority, and tons of hits makes his upb better. idk its probably more even than anything. at any rate, its by far roys best quality lol

Top Bottom