• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Universal N64 Controller to Wii Adapter - A Review

LLDL

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I'm reviewing this adapter that I bought on Ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=n64+to+wii&_sacat=See-All-Categories

It is a Universal Adapter than will convert your N64, SNES, NES AND Genesis controllers to Gamecube port to use with your virtual console games. I bought it for 19.99 on Ebay. Let me just say that this is a very well made device, and the experience for SNES, NES, and Genesis on VC become EXACTLY like the originals with this adapter. That justifies the price itself in my eyes.

The N64 experience is also almost perfect, and playing Smash 64 on it feels EXACTLY like on the N64. The sensitivity for movement and using AT's are set just right. There is a problem though. When you press Z your character taunts, and you have to press L to sheild.

I know what you're thinking. "WTF?! That adapter is trash!!" However this isn't the developers fault. On the virtual console, they (Nintendo) had to decide with placement of buttons since the Z button was moved on the gamecube controller. They chose to set the L button to Z, and the Z button L. It's actually a pretty comfortable configuration when you use the gamecube controller. However while using this adapter, the Wii is interpreting your n64 controller as a gamecube controller. So when you press Z on your N64 controller, the console picks it up as L and vice-versa.

So all of you who were thinking of buying such an adapter in conjunction with the Virtual console to start using in tournament, this isn't an option yet. I would hold off on buying an adapter if you wanted to use it for smash. However I am sure a third party developer will realize the difference in Wii's interpretation of these button commands and release a better adapter, and I'll edit that in here when it happens.

Video Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAz1EX8WJo

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The L button acts like a Z button??? WTF how are you suppose to hold the controller when the buttons are on the right, shielding, z canceling, and rolling are on the left and the controller stick is in the middle?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah unfortunately. Try playing smash 64 on VC with the gamecube controller, you'll notice that the Z acts as L on that too.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering how the whole Z --> L mapping would work when an adaptor was used.

Sad to hear that the most obvious answer was indeed the correct one =/

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Yeah unfortunately. Try playing smash 64 on VC with the gamecube controller, you'll notice that the Z acts as L on that too.
I think you got that wrong, on the official release of SSB64 VC the Z button on the gamecube controller works as N64 Controller's R (Grab) and you taunt using the D-Pad and both L and R work as shield, so i was wondering if you tried the adapter on the official SSB64 or the injected one?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Injected. That is interesting though, I'll try the official one soon.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter though. Nintendo would've had to modify the control scheme for the game. So based on what he told me (the controls are now like Melee), the controls will be even more ****ed up when using the adapter. Plus, all the other n64 games I've tried (official) have Z and L switched when using this adapter, so it's a win-lose situation.

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, for those of you that have smash 64 on the wii, if using the GC controller can you z-cancel with the L trigger?

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
Just wondering, for those of you that have smash 64 on the wii, if using the GC controller can you z-cancel with the L trigger?
Yep.. You can z-cancel with L , R and Z with the GC controller. Just like Melee in short.

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
well now you can try to taunt cancel with z ? Either way, as long as it works, that's great. Especially with little to no lag. Are there any other games that the l/z would affect like smash 64?

LLDL

Smash Hero
K guys I just tried the adapter on the official USA VC release. It's even worse than inject. D pad is taunt, L and R Sheild, and Z is grab. Yeah guys just stick with the inject version.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You guys don't need an adapter. Well, if you play either brawl or melee and are already used to the cube controller.

While it does take me an hour or 2 to get used to ssb64 on a cube controller I can get to the point where theres little to no drop in my play. And if I can get used to ssb64 with a cube controller the way I play Yoshi anybody can get used to it. The cube controller stick is way better anyway.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I have that adapter sensei has. The adapter works fine with injected version and I'm going to test the official vc verson soon.

libertyernie

Smash Ace

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'll save up for one of those and also buy and test.

smakis

Smash Ace
Top Bottom