• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using DED

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, I can't do Roy's Double Edge Dance very well. I don't know if I'm just lacking timing or what, but ti's super frustrating.
I try to push the control stick in the right direction, let's say Right->Right->Right->Right, and press b every time, but for some reason it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can do this more consistently?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
try different timings. You can't just spam it fast, each hit needs to be timed at the right spot. strikes 1 and 2 come out pretty fast but theres a slight delay on the button input for the 3rd strike. I'm positive you're inputting b too fast, go into training and try to find the smoothest timing.

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
I used to have a hard time getting it down, and I have good news in that once you get it down in practice, its not much different in an actual match. The two things I learned that helped me get it down were:

1- You dont have to reset the control stick to neutral to input the second/third/fourth slash. just holding it foward will let you do the whole chain. even if you want to do the up or down tilted variants, you can just lean the stick in the desired direction without reseting to neutral.

2- like azureflames said, the timings are different for the 3rd and 4th than the 1st and 2nd. If I'm not mistaken there are ~4 speeds you can input the DED at, with the slowest being at the end of each swing. This is the one I think people mess up the most so I'd suggest just trying to finsih the string until you can do it consistantly before you speed it up.

In the frame data thread found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-frame-data-3-02.349876/; specifically on part 2.3 (just ctrl+f it), it gives the input windows for the next swing of DED, if numbers like that helps you more than "feel it out"

As for actually getting it down: Just try doing >>>> (foward foward foward foward) at its slowest speed until you get it down perfectly every time and then just speed it up a bit. When you feel comfortable with that switch it up. I find the DED's I use most in game (in order) are >>>; >>^>; >>v(v); and >>(x)<.

>>> is a kill move in its own right on smaller stages and using this more makes it so people arent ready to tech//di the >>^> variant that is probably the most consitant kill move in DED. the >>v(v) variant is my least favorite and is mostly used as a switch up. The turn around one is really good in doubles, and obviously helps when people DI behind it.

In otherwords just keep practicing the basic 4-oward combo until you can get it down, and then start switching up your directions with it. The cool thing about practicing timing is its something you can do by your self if you have to.

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot both of you! I didn't know that the 3rd and 4th Swings had different timings.... I was wondering why it was so easy to quickly do the first two, then suddenly stop because the timing wasn't working.
One more thing, does this apply to Marth as well?

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot both of you! I didn't know that the 3rd and 4th Swings had different timings.... I was wondering why it was so easy to quickly do the first two, then suddenly stop because the timing wasn't working.
One more thing, does this apply to Marth as well?
Marth can do everything with Dancing Blade that Roy can do with DED with the exception of turning it around. I think the timing are the same as well. Also the tilts are different and have different properties by extension; as such, the different patterns I listed arent necessarily as useful on marth. Unless I'm mistaken tho, Dancing blade is rarely as useful on marth as DED is on roy.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
DED is definitely not hard, it's just generally just being aware of three things.
1. How many hits you can perform in succession with it (when used properly).
2. What certain angles can be done in succession to the last attack you've done while using DED.
3. (In relation to 2) Just because you think it'll work doesn't mean it will, remember not all of Roy DED combos work.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
>>V and >>VV are actually good if the opponent is blocking with a fresh shield. they wear down the shield the most. ill agree that >>> and >>^ are generally the most useful. i feel like XXX^ isnt that good.. i mean its quick. but its got so much endlag, and doesnt really net you much.

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
>>V and >>VV are actually good if the opponent is blocking with a fresh shield. they wear down the shield the most. ill agree that >>> and >>^ are generally the most useful. i feel like XXX^ isnt that good.. i mean its quick. but its got so much endlag, and doesnt really net you much.
XXX^ is garbage in my experience too. I only ever do it on flubs. I guess its ok as a di mix-up option that can still kill against light cast members on less vertical stages cause it does hit *more or less* straight up (vs most of your other kill options hitting to the side), but thats about it.

I'd like to discus the use of >^XX. Ive only ever used it in flubs while trying to >>^>, and it doesnt seem like it has much use besides reaching high (but you have utilt and uair so yeah :/) do you guys find yourselves using the >> or >^ more when comboing with DED?

Edit: Also is ledge guarding with XX^ viable against more predictable recoveries like CF//Ganon? Or is it strictly style?

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
>^ actually comes out quicker than >> believe it or not. it can help set up for tech chases too in conjunction with XX^

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
I just found this out, so if its common knowledge, my b::

so i was doing my nightly practice and i realized that >>[>] can be 'canceled' into any of the 4th attacks. maybe canceled is a bad word for it but if your third strike is tilted forward it seems like you can input the fourth swing regardless of where the third swing is in its animation. I cant seem to get it to work for XX^ or XXv so im convinced its just an extra bit of technology for the third swing.

The only real use for this i can see is being able to turn around the DED much sooner (which is actually *really* good), because 4th and 3rd swings forward have similar functions, and 4th up tilt isnt the most efficient killing option. I guess canceling to 4th down would be nice when you're hitting a shield too.

Top Bottom