• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(W.I.P.) I Choose You, Pichu!: Rainbow Pancakes Tips and Tricks to using Pichu

Rainbow Pancake

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1848-1736-8251
INTRO :D

Whenever I bring up the idea of Pichu being one of my mains, the majority of peoples reaction pretty much look like this:

However, as some have proved, using Pichu in a competitive match can indeed work out if you know how to use him.
Don't believe me? Check out M2K using him against a sheik player:

After watching this, I was inspired to take an in depth look at Pichu and try to find good techniques to use to an advantage.

In this WIP Guide, I will be attempting to find as many tips and tricks I can find, as well as a few combos as well. I know someone may have done this already, and perhaps in a better fashion, but this is just my take on it. So, let's get started shall we?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Using Non damaging moves to your advantage

It is no surprise to anyone who've played melee that most of Pichu's attacks harm him, however, Pichu still has quite a few moves that do not produce self damage.

The Following moves do NOT damage Pichu:
Neutral A
Aerial Neutral A
Aerial Back A
Aerial Up A ( <-- This move will be your go to move, will be explained later)
Up Smash
Down Smash
Down Special (While under a platform or moving)
Up Throw
Down Throw
Back Throw

Tips:

- Though most of these moves do a small amount of damage, using some at the right time (And in combos) can have a powerful effect, especially when an opponent has a high percent damage.

-Try using Pichu's Up Ariel to juggle your opponent to a high percent, then finish it up with an Up Smash
to KO them

-Pichu's Up Ariel, though not super powerful, is really good for hitting off combos, trying experimenting with it and connecting other moves to it!

- Pichu's Down Special (While under platform or moving), Up Throw, Down Throw, and Back Throw, all electrocute the opponent without harming Pichu, and produce a good amount of damage to the opponent.

Combos to test out that will not self damage:
(Videos with combos to use without damaging self will be placed here, still trying to get my capture card to work on my laptop.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. What moves to use and not to use that cause self damage

As everyone knows, Pichu causes self damage to himself with most of his electricity attacks. Although this is true, it is also true that certain attacks produce more self damage than others.

The following moves self damage (Damage Percents included):
Neutral Special (1%)
Side Special (1%)
Down Special (While standing still or above a platforn)(3%)
Up Special Once (1%)
Up Special Twice (4%)
Side Smash (2%)
Aerial Front (Varies, the longer you are in the air the more damage you take. I believe the most you can get is either 11% or 14%)
Aerial Down (1% in air, and additional 3% if you land quick enough)
Grab Attack (1%)
Front Throw (1%)

Though these moves produce self damage, Some can still come in handy, while others should just be avoided completely.

Tips:

- Try avoiding using Pichu's Grab Attack and Front throw. While his Grab Attack does gives damage, there are other moves that you can use that will produce more damage as well as not cause self damage. His Front Throw is pretty useless as well, and will not have a big affect on the opponent, even when they have a high percent of damage.

- Pichu's Neutral Special can come in handy when an opponent is trying to come back to the stage. Simply use it by the edge and try to hit them while they are perform an Up Special to try and get back. If the opponent is not expecting it, they will most likely fall to their death.

- Don't let moves that cause self damage scare you from using them! Experiment with the moves, see what can really come in handy and what should be avoided.

Combos to test out that will cause self damage:
(Like stated in the first section, I still need to get my capture card working, so bare with me for now)
3. What to use to your advantage besides moves:

Besides attacks, Pichu still has a few more advantages over the other characters, here's a few of them.

• Speed:
- Pichu is one of the fastest characters in Melee.

- Because of this, he is able to get out of situation where he might be cornered.

- His speed can also help a player with pulling of combos and continuing them without messing up by not hitting the player quick enough

• Height:
- Pichu is also one of the smallest characters in Melee as well

- This means his hitbox is much smaller than other character

- A Pichu player can easily use this to their advantage to dodge attack from other opponents

Don't forget to use all the tech skills as well!!
Just because Pichu is very low on the tier list, does not mean you can't use techniques you'd use for any other characters like Wavedashing or L-canceling.
TO BE CONTINUED!!This guide is still a HUGE Work In Progress, and I'll be updating it whenever I can. Of course however, I would not mind if anyone would like to help me out. If there are any mistakes I have made in the guide or if you'd like to add suggestions or addon to the guide, feel free! Thanks for reading, and I hope to update this guide soon :3

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Just so you know, "aerial" is spelled like that. :)

I also don't agree with using side special to get back to the stage a lot. This is because it has a lot of ending lag and opponent can just hit you with about any move of their choice. Using the up special instead will normally let you go far enough to not be punished. That's not to say you shouldn't use side special in the air; it just needs to be used with caution.

Rainbow Pancake

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1848-1736-8251
Just so you know, "aerial" is spelled like that. :)

I also don't agree with using side special to get back to the stage a lot. This is because it has a lot of ending lag and opponent can just hit you with about any move of their choice. Using the up special instead will normally let you go far enough to not be punished. That's not to say you shouldn't use side special in the air; it just needs to be used with caution.
I see, thanks for the feedback, would you mind if I added it to the guide?

Also thanks for correcting my spelling, I'll fix it now .-.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I mean you really don't touch on agility or any of the finer points of the character
and you don't explain the reason to use certain moves or give any situational descriptions....
I mean, I don't want to offend you, but it's just pretty evident that you aren't all that experienced with the character

Top Bottom