• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about a Twilight Princess Link? (wolf form included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the8thark

Smash Lord
What about a Twilight Princess Link?

Works like Zelda Sheik but Link's transformation would be into the Twilight Princess wolf. Sure it'd have to be balanced as having a fast wolf with a slow link would be best of both worlds. But I think it'd be very different and something people would like.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nah. Smash 4 Link is based on Twilight Princess, but we don't want to over-rep that game, you know.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And meanwhile it's accepted Skyward Sword will get nothing?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Honestly I'd love to see a playable Wolf Link. But I'm it's not something many would be fond of. Quite the opposite actually.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I would absolutely love to play as Wolf Link. That'll probably never happen though, since wolf link was only for Twilight Princess. By the end of the game, the game starts throwing out a lot of enemies that require you to use specific weapons against enemies, to the point where it's more of a pain to attempt using Wolf form because of all the transforming you'd have to do (wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so long to talk to Midna and swap forms though). Trust me, I try to get away with as much as I can with the Wolf Form in Twilight Princess, but in the end, it just feels like a half-tutorial/story mechanic, early game enemies get wrecked by wolf link, while end game enemies will generally be unable to be hurt by Wolf Link. I wish they did more with the Wolf Link thing (maybe even use a little harder version of the parry mechanic from wind waker, enough to discourage wolf form, but still allowing wolf form to fight stuff, getting more items allowing wolf form to fight the same enemies).

I would imagine Wolf Link's gameplay would be about having fast, incredibly short range ground combat. I would imagine one special would be a jump-grab, and the others would be midna specials, and the spin that immitates the sword spin.

Twilight Princess was already represented a lot in Brawl, so I think Wolf Link missed his chance. Same with the Majora's Mask masks with young link in melee.

Wolf Link would make me happy, but it will probably never happen unless they decide to bring back Wolf Link in a future Zelda game (I prefer Wolf Link over that pink bunny anyways).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Inb4 people are gonna justify Wolf Link like they justify Sheik.

And Impa is forever deemed to be a laughing stock 'HAHAHA UR NAWT SHIEK, SHIEK DA BES LOLOLOL! OOT MASTURREEC!'

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how someone could justify Wolf Link like they justify Sheik. I'd like to see someone try to do that.

I wonder if they'll ever bring back wolf link or sheik in future zelda games.

SilverRaiden

Smash Rookie
What would be cool is if his final smash was to transform into wolf link and then use that glowing circle with midna. After all, its a one-hit-KO in twilight princess.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Highly doubt it'd happen, besides, he'd probably transforms with his down B, which are confirmed to still be his bombs.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind if they gave us Wolf Link. I think he would have a very interesting move-set.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'd be down for Wolf Link, myself (and was hoping he'd be in Brawl). My thing is that he didn't make it into Brawl back when Twilight Princess was more popular? (not sure that's the right word) so it seems like it would be a little weird for Nintendo to decide to include Wolf Link/Midna now, a solid seven or so years after the release, rather than back in 2008 (which was a year or two after the initial release of Brawl). Still would be cool though.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'd be down for Wolf Link, myself (and was hoping he'd be in Brawl). My thing is that he didn't make it into Brawl back when Twilight Princess was more popular? (not sure that's the right word) so it seems like it would be a little weird for Nintendo to decide to include Wolf Link/Midna now, a solid seven or so years after the release, rather than back in 2008 (which was a year or two after the initial release of Brawl). Still would be cool though.
However, if zelda wii u does turn out to be Twilight Princess 2 we could get them

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Oh my God I would love Twilight Princess 2. But yeah if there isn't TP 2 then it probably won't happen. :/

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Oh my God I would love Twilight Princess 2. But yeah if there isn't TP 2 then it is probably won't happen. :/
I think it could be possible, I mean OoT has a sequel, WW has 2 and ALTTP just got one, so why not?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think it could be possible, I mean OoT has a sequel, WW has 2 and ALTTP just got one, so why not?
I hope so, I was saying if there isn't a TP 2 though I don't think we'll get Wolf Link in Smash this time around. TP 2 would make me so happy I can't even...

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I just would love to see a return of the wolf form in a future Zelda game.
However, twilight princess #2, i just cant think of enough unique things to twilight princess that wasn't basicly the same in another zelda. It was just a bigger and better ocarina of time, with some elements of other zelda games.
I haven't played skyward sword yet. However, when it comes to combat, I'd like the feel of the items from Twilight Princess (bow gameplay feels so awesome), with the swordplay + usefulness of all items on all enemies (though different effectiveness depending on which item on which enemy) from Wind Waker.

If they make a Twilight Princess 2, I hope they look into the wolf form gameplay a little more. At least make it so it can attack all enemies, just in a different way (or make it a fast change from human to wolf and vice versa).
Wolf form is awesome, but they could just make it so much more awesome. Like I've said before, it feels like a story element/tutorial hybrid that starts to be more of a hassle to use later in the game. I try to get away with wolf form whenever I can in Twilight Princess. Make the wolf form be able to fight the same things human form can when he gets a new item. Have some mechanic for fighting enemies (even if it's just as simple as the parry attack from wind waker)

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I just would love to see a return of the wolf form in a future Zelda game.
However, twilight princess #2, i just cant think of enough unique things to twilight princess that wasn't basicly the same in another zelda. It was just a bigger and better ocarina of time, with some elements of other zelda games.
I haven't played skyward sword yet. However, when it comes to combat, I'd like the feel of the items from Twilight Princess (bow gameplay feels so awesome), with the swordplay + usefulness of all items on all enemies (though different effectiveness depending on which item on which enemy) from Wind Waker.

If they make a Twilight Princess 2, I hope they look into the wolf form gameplay a little more. At least make it so it can attack all enemies, just in a different way (or make it a fast change from human to wolf and vice versa).
Wolf form is awesome, but they could just make it so much more awesome. Like I've said before, it feels like a story element/tutorial hybrid that starts to be more of a hassle to use later in the game. I try to get away with wolf form whenever I can in Twilight Princess. Make the wolf form be able to fight the same things human form can when he gets a new item. Have some mechanic for fighting enemies (even if it's just as simple as the parry attack from wind waker)
I'd like to see more of the twilight realm other than just zants castle

andimidna

Smash Master
Ooh this looks like a thread for me!
There are many rumors saying Zelda U is Twilight Princess 2. But besides rumors... where is the actual proof?

The Zelda U tech demo. Why did they choose to base everything off of Twilight Princess, if it was unrelated to anything in actual development? That's basically an HD Twilight Princess Link. Same Shield(silhouette), Armguard, boots, item pouches, tights... and if I'm not mistaken, voice. Porting his voice over from Twilight Princess, yet his design was only based off it yet was upgraded in HD. But the sheath is completely new.
And it's not just Link, the much more obvious thing is... this is a boss fight from Twilight Princess. They chose a scene from Twilight Princess to show off the capabilities of a Zelda game on the Wii U. Armogohma has only been in Twilight Princess, and this room seems reminiscent of the Temple of Time it appeared in.
And now, the Smash Bros proof.

This IS Twilight Princess Link. Most simple evidence? The Sheild by far... but every thing else is TP as well. Now... why go with TP, a dark game with a gritty, colorless artsyle... when Smash 4 is so much more colorful than Brawl? Especially when SS has the same colors that would fit into SSB4. Suspicious.

Same goes for Zelda. Nobody can claim this takes any design choices from any other Zelda game, but if they do, they're crazy. Only difference I see is that the bow on her back braid is bigger... for no reason. And, like Link and every other character, lighter colors that fit the games artstyle and HD graphics.

There are many rumors discussing TP2. If you want a link to any, or a link to the rumor on ZeldaInformer stating a popular character from the past is returning, ask me, and I'll go find them.
I've seen people speculating this sort of thing for a while though now, like HMK. If you want a link to his videos on the subject, ask me.

But why Twilight Princess? Why a sequel to this game... and not another?
Well, the Wii U is a failing system... Iwata and Miyamoto had to cut their salaries... they made a lot less than they thought they would last year. They need a money-maker to save the system. Let's look at the series sales:

Year Platform Title Sales
(in Millions)
1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61
1993 GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.83
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.6
1998 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.22
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 3.96
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 3.96
2002 GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords 2.7
2003 GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.6
2004 GC The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 0.81
2004 GBA The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap 1.42
2006 Wii / GC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii: 6.8
GC: 1.59
Total: 8.39
2007 DS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 4.96
2007 Wii Link's Crossbow Training 4.8
2009 DS The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

2011 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 3.1
2011 DS The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition
2011 Wii The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 3.69
2013 3DS The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 0.51

Wow. Look at that. Twilight Princess is the best selling Zelda game. The highest sales released at the same time. Meaning, OoT3d was a bit different and most likely a lot of it's sales were people nostalgic of the original. GC and Wii Twilight Princess are the same thing on 2 systems, released at the same time.
But even if, for some weird reason, you added OoT and OoT3d's sales together, and made it the best-selling. It already has 1 direct sequel, 2 indirect sequels, 1 indirect spiritual sequel, a manga in split into 2+ books, and multiple more references.
OoT has gotten what it deserves, and then some.
TP has itself, no sequels.
But let's look at all of the games that do:

Skyward Sword was released in 2011. Obviously it has no sequel.
Minish Cap and Four Swords go together. I'm not 100% sure on if Four Swords is a direct sequel, as I have not played it... but I love Minish Cap. I know both feature a similar looking Link and Vaati returns... so my bets on it's a direct sequel.
Ocarina of Time leads into all 3 timelines, but goes with Majora's Mash, that's the only Direct Sequel of the 3. But back to the Child Time Line later.
Ocarina also leads to A Link to the Past. A Link to the Past, Oracles of Ages, Oracles of Seasons, AND Link's Awaken all go together and feature the same Link. It's a trio of sequels. After that, we have the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: the Adventure of Link... which is a direct sequel of the original, so they go together.
On to the Adult Timeline, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks all go together. Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel of the Wind Waker, and Spirit Tracks is an indirect sequel to both (mainly PH). Featuring a descendent of the Link in those games, and a similar structure. Spirit Tracks is still very new.
Now, the Child Timeline, I already showed how Majora's Mask was a sequel to OoT.
FSA goes off the storyline of MC and FS, just generations later, Vaati even returns in the game. All 3 are connected.
And now Twilight Princess, all alone. It is referenced this Link is a descendent of OoT Link, and there are many references to OoT... but there is no relation to it. It might be the same Hyrule, but that's up to speculators, as it's not proven... the only real proof of them being remotely connected is outside of the game in the Hyrule Historia. Some fans call it a spiritual sequel to OoT... but that's just fans. It's it's own Zelda game, and nothing like it has came after. It is the only one completely alone besides SS. But if we look back to the TP2 rumors, they state that Zelda U actually started development in 2010, and SS wasn't even done at that point... I doubt this could possibly be a sequel to SS... SS didn't even do that well in sales. Plus, if the gamepad is utilized to it's fullest, motion controls will either need to be absent or optional.

[I'll edit more to back-up the addition of Wolf Link(with Midna on his back) as a transformation for Link in Smash Bros after he does his Final Smash (more similar to Samus, not Zelda)]

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Ooh this looks like a thread for me!
There are many rumors saying Zelda U is Twilight Princess 2. But besides rumors... where is the actual proof?

The Zelda U tech demo. Why did they choose to base everything off of Twilight Princess, if it was unrelated to anything in actual development? That's basically an HD Twilight Princess Link. Same Shield(silhouette), Armguard, boots, item pouches, tights... and if I'm not mistaken, voice. Porting his voice over from Twilight Princess, yet his design was only based off it yet was upgraded in HD. But the sheath is completely new.
And it's not just Link, the much more obvious thing is... this is a boss fight from Twilight Princess. They chose a scene from Twilight Princess to show off the capabilities of a Zelda game on the Wii U. Armogohma has only been in Twilight Princess, and this room seems reminiscent of the Temple of Time it appeared in.
And now, the Smash Bros proof.

This IS Twilight Princess Link. Most simple evidence? The Sheild by far... but every thing else is TP as well. Now... why go with TP, a dark game with a gritty, colorless artsyle... when Smash 4 is so much more colorful than Brawl? Especially when SS has the same colors that would fit into SSB4. Suspicious.

Same goes for Zelda. Nobody can claim this takes any design choices from any other Zelda game, but if they do, they're crazy. Only difference I see is that the bow on her back braid is bigger... for no reason. And, like Link and every other character, lighter colors that fit the games artstyle and HD graphics.

There are many rumors discussing TP2. If you want a link to any, or a link to the rumor on ZeldaInformer stating a popular character from the past is returning, ask me, and I'll go find them.
I've seen people speculating this sort of thing for a while though now, like HMK. If you want a link to his videos on the subject, ask me.

But why Twilight Princess? Why a sequel to this game... and not another?
Well, the Wii U is a failing system... Iwata and Miyamoto had to cut their salaries... they made a lot less than they thought they would last year. They need a money-maker to save the system. Let's look at the series sales:

Year Platform Title Sales
(in Millions)
1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61
1993 GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.83
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.6
1998 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.22
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 3.96
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 3.96
2002 GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords 2.7
2003 GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.6
2004 GC The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 0.81
2004 GBA The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap 1.42
2006 Wii / GC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii: 6.8
GC: 1.59
Total: 8.39
2007 DS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 4.96
2007 Wii Link's Crossbow Training 4.8
2009 DS The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

2011 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 3.1
2011 DS The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition
2011 Wii The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 3.69
2013 3DS The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 0.51

Wow. Look at that. Twilight Princess is the best selling Zelda game. The highest sales released at the same time. Meaning, OoT3d was a bit different and most likely a lot of it's sales were people nostalgic of the original. GC and Wii Twilight Princess are the same thing on 2 systems, released at the same time.
But even if, for some weird reason, you added OoT and OoT3d's sales together, and made it the best-selling. It already has 1 direct sequel, 2 indirect sequels, 1 indirect spiritual sequel, a manga in split into 2+ books, and multiple more references.
OoT has gotten what it deserves, and then some.
TP has itself, no sequels.
But let's look at all of the games that do:

Skyward Sword was released in 2011. Obviously it has no sequel.
Minish Cap and Four Swords go together. I'm not 100% sure on if Four Swords is a direct sequel, as I have not played it... but I love Minish Cap. I know both feature a similar looking Link and Vaati returns... so my bets on it's a direct sequel.
Ocarina of Time leads into all 3 timelines, but goes with Majora's Mash, that's the only Direct Sequel of the 3. But back to the Child Time Line later.
Ocarina also leads to A Link to the Past. A Link to the Past, Oracles of Ages, Oracles of Seasons, AND Link's Awaken all go together and feature the same Link. It's a trio of sequels. After that, we have the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: the Adventure of Link... which is a direct sequel of the original, so they go together.
On to the Adult Timeline, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks all go together. Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel of the Wind Waker, and Spirit Tracks is an indirect sequel to both (mainly PH). Featuring a descendent of the Link in those games, and a similar structure. Spirit Tracks is still very new.
Now, the Child Timeline, I already showed how Majora's Mask was a sequel to OoT.
FSA goes off the storyline of MC and FS, just generations later, Vaati even returns in the game. All 3 are connected.
And now Twilight Princess, all alone. It is referenced this Link is a descendent of OoT Link, and there are many references to OoT... but there is no relation to it. It might be the same Hyrule, but that's up to speculators, as it's not proven... the only real proof of them being remotely connected is outside of the game in the Hyrule Historia. Some fans call it a spiritual sequel to OoT... but that's just fans. It's it's own Zelda game, and nothing like it has came after. It is the only one completely alone besides SS. But if we look back to the TP2 rumors, they state that Zelda U actually started development in 2010, and SS wasn't even done at that point... I doubt this could possibly be a sequel to SS... SS didn't even do that well in sales. Plus, if the gamepad is utilized to it's fullest, motion controls will either need to be absent or optional.

[I'll edit more to back-up the addition of Wolf Link(with Midna on his back) as a transformation for Link in Smash Bros after he does his Final Smash (more similar to Samus, not Zelda)]
Well maybe they did it for the sake of ganondorf but other than that there is more than enough proof that this could be TP2 I guess we'll just have to wait till E3. Also what do you think a potential title could be probably Twilight Something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom