• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Luigi's most efficient tech chasing options?

Mehdiocre

Smash Rookie
A relatively new player here. I don't know if this is too general but, would any of you have any tips on tech chasing with Luigi?

Ty Gillis

Smash Rookie
Wavedashing is one of the quickest and most efficient ways to get around the stage so you can use your imagination about how reliable it is to react to techs. Luigi's cyclone is also pretty good

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Cyclone is going to be your easiest form of tech chasing, and probably best way against mid % fast fallers. A couple things to keep in mind, however. First, both of cyclone's hits can be crouch canceled at low percents and since cyclone has a fair amount of end lag, you are easy to punish. If they CC the first hit, use the rest of cyclone to get as far away as possible unless you're fine trading the second hit for their punish. Second, once you start going in a direction, you can't turn around easily. So ideally you want to start cyclone right on top of where they hit the ground and then react to their tech option.
Like I said, cyclone is great against fast fallers at mid percents. It can start up some nice combos. But a better combo starter will be down smash. This will be better at lower percents than cyclone. Work on placing yourself in a position where you can cover 3 of the 4 options with down smash. You are probably less likely to be as successful with this option than with cyclone, but it will set up much more often for combos.
You can get some good things off of these, but you are going to need to read your opponents techs plenty of times. This is where you will get the most out of your tech chases and punishes and lets you be more creative.
With platform tech chasing, what I like to do is a rising nair if I think they will miss their tech/tech in place. If they are high enough percent, your weak nair hit will pop them up just high enough to get an easy follow up hit. If I think they will tech to the sides, I like to wave land on the platform and then either tech chase to regrab/downsmash/up b, depending on their percentage.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
If you're tech chasing them they can't crouch cancel

When reaction tech chasing it's important to know frame data on your moves. The faster the move, in general the easier it will be to tech chase with it. Luigi has some good fast moves to react with. Up b works well as a kill move to tech chase with as it's five frames.

A big problem for luigi is that he needs to wave dash to cover techs away. It is possible to react but it is harder as you basically have to tack on 14 frames to your reaction, the time it takes to get there. If you want to grab after the wave dash, it's going to be a tight reaction.

Up tilt coming out frame four is great and allows you to continue the combo.

I'm not a luigi main so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom