• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your bad habits with Luigi?

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
This is something I like to ask you Luigi mains or players this; What are your bad habits with him and how do you try your best to overcome them? I know about his weaknesses, but I'm talking about bad habits that stands in the way of your gameplay as Luigi. I'll put my bad habits for example, below.

Bad habits
  1. I tend to use Jabs more than grabs because the only times I've get grabs are in reads, shield-grabs, and giving my opponent in a bad position.
  2. Being Defensive with him which limits my Offensive options with Luigi. Not rolling and air dodging, but sometimes camp to make my opponent to come to me, or be patient and wait.
  3. Not making more use of Luigi's ko options sometimes, besides Up-smash, back-air, back throw, down smash, and down-throw to tornado. I get them out of reads and punishes instead of mixing them up.
  4. Sometimes, being afraid to approach due to me thinking of being read or out-spaced by a disjointed move.
My best to overcome them
  1. Try to bait shields more, pivot-grab, and stop giving my opponent space.
  2. Being less defensive and more offensive and aggressive as I can.
  3. Try to be patient, bait, punish, mix up, and drop the ball on my opponents when they don't see it, coming.
  4. I need to play the close combat alittle more on disjointed chars like Marth, Lucian, and Roy, and don't let them get away with out-ranging me for free.
These are my habits with Luigi and I'm still doing my best to improve on them. I decide to write this because this kinda puts my skills into question after facing some really good players on Smash Ladder. If you haven't improve on your like I have, then its ok. It takes time, but once you overcome them, then not only your gameplay will improve, but you'll be a threat with Luigi. So, feel free to share your habits and ways to turn them into good ones because I like to hear how do you guys try your best to overcome them.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I have a habit of mashing my dthrow>downB like im doing the jumpless downB gimp, which mskes people fall out before the killing hitbox.

Pyr

Smash Lord
N-air on shield is one of my worst habits
I got a small fix! =D I had this habit, too. The way I dealt with it is I started doing U-Air for shield pressure. Spaced perfectly, and done low enough to the ground (and frame perfect), it's safe-ish pressure. It's the least landing lag of all our aerials, (12 frames) and does 11%, so it has 4 frames of shield stun. We're -7 after this. Again, space it right (out of range of OOS options and standing grabs) and it becomes all rather safe. It has to be done perfectly, but it's extremely valuable. That, and a hit from up-air leads to just as much as Nair.

Jab can be used to cover a lot of what they try to do, and it's our fastest option. You'll get punished by characters with fast options, but it'll help when you find yourself in situations where you just want to hit A. At least until you break the habit and start to tomahawk in.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
My fundamentals are overall improving significantly, however I'm finding myself as of late accidentally doing a green missile when I mean to b-reverse fireball...I also occasionally go too deep offstage for my own good when going for those offstage kills.

Pyr

Smash Lord
My fundamentals are overall improving significantly, however I'm finding myself as of late accidentally doing a green missile when I mean to b-reverse fireball...I also occasionally go too deep offstage for my own good when going for those offstage kills.
B-reversing will come with time, as most input things do. How far off stage are you going, exactly?

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Depends on the matchup, for most I just wait for them to come to me especially if they're recovering low to get that ledge trump in, but every now and then I get a little greedy with a stock and percentage lead and chase characters like Marth or others with poor recoveries close to the blast zone to try to ensure their death without wasting a jump. I do this more often on Smashville if I know a platform will be coming my way for stage coverage and if I figure they will go for something like that as well.

Top Bottom